Is unconditional love a myth?

maxdancona

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 06:01 pm
@Pemerson,
The love of Jesus really wasn't worth very much compared. Love is powerful because it is specific. If you love me, I want you to love me more than everyone else.

Imagine if your wife said 'I love you as much as I love all the men and women in the world'. I wouldn't feel very good about this, would you? Love is special because it is special.

Imagine a child is in the hospital. They want their dad and their friends. People who love them uniquely and understand that they are more important than everyone else. Saying "Jesus loves you because he loves everyone" just doesn't cut it.

I have unconditional love for my daughter in the sense that no matter what, even in the case becomes mentally deranged to the point of murdering the family, I will still love her. Of course I am not considering the case that I am dead. In the engineering field call these "trivial cases" and I suppose I could say I have unconditional love for her in any non-trivial case. I don't know if there is this a similar idea in philosophy, but it seems to me that it should go without saying.

I think universal love in the sense that you would love all people without regard to who they are or their relationship to me is meaningless.

If everyone is special, than no one is.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2011 07:34 pm
@Pemerson,
...I don´think we have any example of unconditional love because forgiveness is also conditional...by having "order" was precisely meant to establish conditions for every and any thing, the world is relational !
fresco

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 12:04 am
Forget the world and rationality!

There is a certain quality of experience, with which meditators are familiar, in which the "self" and its attachments dissipate. In this state, "my friend" "my enemy"and even "my life" have been transcended and supplanted by a harmonic holistic merger. The phrase "unconditional love" is perhaps another description of this experience, because residual aspects of it can manifest themselves in our non-meditational everyday life.

Now what is not understood by those who are pursuing "the debate" by verbal argument is that such experience is ineffable..... A swimmer cannot transmit the "feel" of that experience to a non-swimmer.....The grandeur of a mountainscape cannot be adequately transmitted by a pictorial representation.
igm

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 06:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I have unconditional love for my daughter in the sense that no matter what, even in the case becomes mentally deranged to the point of murdering the family, I will still love her.

But I’d say, you can't know this. You can hope it will be the case but not know it. You can make that statement now, but both you and everything else is constantly changing. Once time has past... you just can't be sure... you want to be certain but you cannot actually know, that your, so called, unconditional love will remain until the moment of your death.

Also, you have an idea of what 'unconditioned love' means and you've examined that and examined your feelings towards your daughter and come to the conclusion that they match, but if you had examined in more detail, what it means for a condition to exist with respect to some ‘state of affairs’ then you may change your mind and say that: I have ‘conditioned love’ but it is in the respect of certain conditions which are missing... unconditioned.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 07:39 am
@fresco,
When "your friend" and "your foe" are transcended, love itself was transcended...why did n´t you explain him that last stretch I wonder ?
(or are you just being lazy in thinking it through?)
igm

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 08:03 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

When "your friend" and "your foe" are transcended, love itself was transcended...why did n´t you explain him that last stretch I wonder ?
(or are you just being lazy in thinking it through?)

You’ve got a point… that’s why it’s a precursor to transcendence… the motivation for it… when others view Buddha activity for example they say it is loving, compassionate, wise etc… but the Buddha has transcended that view and all views. It’s others that view the activity in that way as onlookers. As far as I understand it.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 03:22 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

There is a certain quality of experience, with which meditators are familiar, in which the "self" and its attachments dissipate. In this state, "my friend" "my enemy"and even "my life" have been transcended and supplanted by a harmonic holistic merger. The phrase "unconditional love" is perhaps another description of this experience, because residual aspects of it can manifest themselves in our non-meditational everyday life.

Now what is not understood by those who are pursuing "the debate" by verbal argument is that such experience is ineffable..... A swimmer cannot transmit the "feel" of that experience to a non-swimmer.....The grandeur of a mountainscape cannot be adequately transmitted by a pictorial representation.

Exactly. Couldn't describe it better. God is love, Love is God. What more to say? People have to discover these things themselves.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 03:31 pm
@maxdancona,
If everyone is special everyone is special. They are common in their shared specialness, not their differences.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 03:34 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I can truly forgive one person only if I forgive all persons. Compassion is the condition that makes this both possible and necessary; it's the source of forgiveness and only when compassion arises are we capable of true and complete forgiveness.
JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2011 10:28 pm
@JLNobody,
Compassion is related to empathy in the sense that we see the other as a subject rather than an object (he is another "me" rather than an "it"). In that sense we may even have a kind of forgiveness for a serial killer, but we still have to lock him up for the protection of others.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2011 10:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Is unconditional love a myth?

Thread template stolen from Hamilton.

Yes, although not an entirely unfruitful one. Love is both conditional and temporary. But that does not make it less precious. It would be nice to think that we could care about things without reference to how we care about things, but care requires both a who and a how...nonsense, I know. But how we care is what qualifies a mode of behavior as "love", and by the same token how we loves determines who is worthy of (or perhaps simply who is capable of our accepting our poor example of ) love.

@ fresco

fresco wrote:

The transcendence of those accidental differences might be harmony, but not love. Love depicts our differences as equal, it doesn't diminish our differences. This is what lends love its poignancy.
fresco

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 12:01 am
@Razzleg,
Have you been "swimming" ? Wink
Razzleg

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 12:06 am
@fresco,
i'll be honest, i feel like i should be able to make some sort of witty, ironic rejoinder, but i have no idea what you mean...

[edit] ah, of course, if you are referring to your earlier post: of course I've been in love. That's the only reason I claim any authority in the matter...love isn't a matter of going with the flow, it's a matter of swimming against the stream...
fresco

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 12:26 am
@Razzleg,
I would merely re-emphasize my use of the word "ineffable".
In the absence of "self" there are no differences....there are no others....there is nobody to communicate with or things to communicate about.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 01:24 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

The certain quality of experience that you describe: the miasma in which myself, my friend, and my enemy dissolve into one, constitutes a complementary system. Let us imagine similar (microcosmic) physical context: a work environment, let's say. In such a context i can imagine that petty survival instincts, my sense of affinity with others, and my personal conflict with others will actually combine to create a more productive workplace. But that dissolution of self, friend and enemy will only take place if the highest product is that of the efficiency of the system. But in that and any similar case, the dissolution is only a condition of the "product", and not "love" except in the abstract sense. In that sense love is a byproduct, and it certainly has conditions.

It is easy to imagine situations in which "non-interference" can be named as a sort of abstract "messianac" "love", but i have a feeling that the OP meant something different.

There is a sort of superficial love, which we call infatuation, which is precisely the easy affection for that which is compatible with our own "project". But love in the sense of caring...that only occurs when one cares despite another's differences...a passion that we indulge in despite our best interests, to care for another in equal measure with ourselves. This may require the construction of a new "system", we develop a new relationship. But make no mistake, this new, volatile amalgam requires constant maintenance. It requires preciesly, a self, or rather two (minimum), to maintain it.

fresco wrote:

I would merely re-emphasize my use of the word "ineffable".
In the absence of "self" there are no differences....there are no others....there is nobody to communicate with or things to communicate about.

In this case, where something material is being debated, that is "love": a mode not only of feeling but of behavior, the term "ineffable" has no place. Hate or love something in an "ineffable" manner; what would be the difference?

In the absence of a self, in the absence of others, there is no love...merely systematic regularities. I know that it is the conceit of your approach that all oppositions are subsumed in the system, and that is ultimately your undoing...some oppositions are not reducibole as a matter of course. Some oppositions can only be addressed pragmatically, negotiated without guidelines.

You will surely disagree, and at this hour, i do not feel like arguing the point. Perhaps i will do so later, but i make no promises. Good luck to you.
fresco

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2011 05:46 am
@Razzleg,
That "I" that may or may not "argue the point" might first consider once more the original Krishnamurti quotation
Quote:
Where the self is, love is not.

Neither"rationality" nor "maintenance" has anything to do with that.

Razzleg

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 12:58 am
@fresco,
hmmm...did Fil hack your account?

fresco wrote:

That "I" that may or may not "argue the point" might first consider once more the original Krishnamurti quotation
Quote:

Neither"rationality" nor "maintenance" has anything to do with that.

Interesting. i have to admit that while Maturana, Heidegger and Wittgenstein all have a variety of mysticism at their core, i didn't foresee you going full-blown.

Krishnamurti wrote:

Indeed, love is between selves, it is neither an aspect of them nor in them. However, love is not simply a feeling (of communion or otherwise), it is a mode of relation. But perhaps a better K quote would have been:

Krishnamurti wrote:
Love exists only when there is self-forgetfulness, where there is complete communion, not between one or two, but communion with the highest; and that can only take place when the self is forgotten.

The forgotten self is not the same as an absence of self, anymore than the Ship of Theseus signifies the lack of a ship. i'm not denying that love can be a revelatory or transformative experience, nor do i think that love does not require a compromise of a formerly held sense of oneself. And i have no objections to the view that falling in love requires that we compromise or give ourselves up to the "mode" of love, to thinking of our current self as constituted by that relationship...but such moments are fleeting. Even Krishnamurti admitted that love is vulnerable; and even a fasting mystic feels the pull of hunger, at least until she is so near death that the body ceases to communicate with the brain. It's not as if i'm saying that love doesn't exist, or that true love isn't true...just that its existence doesn't float above the ubiquitous turmoil of common experience, regardless of K's jargon.

We've all been swimming, fresco, but when we got tired did the tide pull us under, or did we climb back onto shore?

Now, i'm just a cranky-ass psuedo-intellectual with a wicked case of insomnia, so i know why i keep returning to this exchange, but i wonder if that "I", that might or might not "argue the point", will respond -- and if so, to what end? Is "I" involved or not?...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 01:20 am
@Razzleg,
Quote:
hmmm...did Fil hack your account?

...and you are next... Muahahahahaaa !!! Twisted Evil
Razzleg

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 01:24 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
hahahah...very nice! touche, good sir.

Don't do it, tho'... Neutral
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2011 05:46 am
@Razzleg,
Quote:
Interesting. i have to admit that while Maturana, Heidegger and Wittgenstein all have a variety of mysticism at their core, i didn't foresee you going full-blown.

Smile
Ironic that I'm the one without the flotation devices !

That word "ineffable" is well understood by JLN and other mediators ("swimmers") as indicative of "silence" as being one of the aspects of answesr to "questions" such as this one.

If I were trying to convey the nature of that silence in words I would ask you to listen to climax part of the concerto d'arunjuez by Rodrigo where there is a silence before the final chord each of three crescendos. Now most guitarists render this silence equally in all three parts of the climax, but one or two extend it just that fraction in the second or third one which results in a sublime emotional impact.