Have You Been Googlified?

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 05:29 pm
Every now and then I look for me on Google to see how I'm doing. I've been there for many years. I wrote a couple of books a while back. That gets you in Google. Now the books are remaindered. That REALLY gets you in Google. Everybody is selling those books. I mean everybody! Where were they when I could get royalties. I'm now up to more than 20 pages.

I recently spoke at a press conference. I got a couple of mentions for that. I entered a contest a zillion years ago. I got second place. That's there.

This time there were a few things I hadn't seen before. How many people in the United States have my first and last name? 1

I also discovered myself mentioned in the acknowledgments of books that I worked on as a free-lancer. I had no idea. Nice surprise.

So are you in Google? Any surprises?

mags314772

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 05:57 pm
@Roberta,
I wrote a poem twenty years ago that was included in a book of meditations. Over the years, it has been used in Unitarian churches all over the world. There are bunches of entries for that. I wrote hundreds of annotations for books published in library booklists, and there are entries for that. No surprises, though.
boomerang

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 06:11 pm
@Roberta,
According to Google I'm the (male) bass player in a death metal band.

Or a (female) medical transcriptionist in Florida.

I used to mostly be a (gender unknown) nurse in Kansas City.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 09:16 pm
@Roberta,
I have a very unusual name and with one exception I'm the only one of me google can find. The exception is kind of odd - a media company has used my name as a fictional person in a sample marketing scenario.... made me wonder where they got it from.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2011 10:55 pm
@mags314772,
mags, You must have dozens and dozens of Google screens/pages. Impressive.

boomer, I guess you can't expect Google to get it right all the time.

ML, Looks like we're both the bearers of unusual names. Nobody is using my name for anything that I know of. Does it bother you?
Builder

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 01:20 am
I have a one-off name also. Got a mention in several award ceremonies for my former students. Never thought to goog myself. Interesting.
Roberta

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 01:41 am
@Builder,
Builder, Another rare name. Whoda thunk? I don't know what made me google me the first time. I think I sometimes have too much time on my hands. I kinda like being there. Glad you find it interesting.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 03:40 am
My name is so common, it'd be like looking up John Smith (my name is mostly the Irish version thereof). I've never bothered to look it up.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 04:35 am
@Setanta,
Ditto my name.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 06:03 am
@Roberta,
I can be found, and always with surprising results. If I don't place my name i n quotation marks, I get very odd results.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 06:08 am
Mine's almost another one-off. (Someone with my unusual first name got married to someone with my current unusual last name a few years ago, so I'm not as unique as I once was. She lives in Britain and we've corresponded.)

Ha, that was actually useful, I signed up for Twitter a long time ago and when I recently wanted to do something on it again I couldn't remember what username I chose, there it is on Google!

Anyway, other stuff includes:

- Campaign contributions (grr)
- LinkedIn, etc.
- Lots of stuff about the non-profit I've been involved in for the past several years
- Some stuff about a charter school initiative I was involved in a while ago
- A "website of the week" blurb (interview with me)
- Articles about my agency in L.A.
- Article about winning an essay contest
- Sozlet birth announcement in E.G.'s employer-at-the-time's paper
- Several letters to the editor (mostly NYT)
- Commentary on O'Bill's nephew's blog (O'Bill's sister and I lived in the same house when said nephew was a baby). (This came out after I had known O'Bill for a while here.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 06:20 am
I've got my thumb on the scale - I own my name (with and without the hyphen) as a domain, and have a page. Other mentions tend to be from local events I've gone to, plus I'm in the About section on the bot boys' website.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:01 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
boomer, I guess you can't expect Google to get it right all the time.

I think google got it exactly right. I don't want to be googleable.
0 Replies

MonaLeeza

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:21 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

ML, Looks like we're both the bearers of unusual names. Nobody is using my name for anything that I know of. Does it bother you?

Not at all - just a bit curious. It's an odd name to make up out of the blue but it's hard to imagine that someone in that company (totally unrelated to my business) would have heard my name somewhere and decided to use it.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:25 am
My name is a heavy equipment lifting company with 5 locations to serve you, in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas.

Safety is #1, my fleet is exceptional, as are my steel erections.

The golf clinic I sponsored this past July for area youths was apparantly a big success.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 08:40 am
144 people in the U.S. have my name.

One is Director of Special Events for the Fort Myers, FL Chamber of Commerce. There are realtors in TX and NY, an attorney in Cincinnati, and various and sundry other ordinary people.

No other goddesses, though, as far as I can tell.
hingehead

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 02:35 pm
I haven't googled myself for a while. It looks like I've stopped lecturing in tourism in England, but I have become a lieutenant in the New Zealand army.

I'm still all over the place for a book on education I translated.

But the real me is just as common, courtesy of the nature of my job and how much it involves international collaboration over the web.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 03:50 pm
I'm a one off too, at least my maiden name. But there was a great Dame back in the 1300's who shared it with me.
There's a church and a graveyard and even a theater with my last name splashed across them, but not much else.
I recently made a cross country trip, while in Nova Scotia, I spied a town with my husbands surname. So we drove to the town, that wasn't really a town, just the name of a once previous mail office. There wasn't even a sign to commemorate it's historical insignificance... Plenty of his last name scattered through the local graveyard though.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2011 09:08 pm
@Roberta,
I've slipped back several pages.

there's a buncha guys with my name now with bookface pages and stuff.

I did a coupla magazine articles for kitcar and a Peterson publication years ago.

they are still circulating...

better than I am, actually...
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2011 12:17 am
Well, I won't be trying that again anytime soon,
Apparently I went to be with the Lord on Sept. 5th

and again on Sept. 8th
0 Replies