gollum

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 08:32 am
Can the cold weather cause a person to have a heart attack?

How?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,278 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 08:34 am
Hmmm - I know there are more strokes in cold weather, and strokes resulting from blockages are similar to heart attacks - they just occur elsewhwere.

I think the blood just runs less freely and is "stickier' in cold weather - perhaps because vessels are not expanded to release heat?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 08:38 am
Quote:
A clinical trial conducted by researchers from Johns Hopkins University and the University of Pittsburgh, for example, found that cold weather might bring on heart attacks in men by constricting coronary arteries and decreasing coronary blood flow. Further research is needed to determine if there are ways to treat this cold-induced coronary constriction to prevent cold-weather heart attacks

http://rx.magazine.tripod.com/lw_20000828.htm

Also, very cold weather is stressful on the system, in general. If a person has blocked arteries to start with, cold weather could exascerbate the condition.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 08:38 am
we can engineer around that , we have the technology
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 08:39 am
Interesting question. I wouldn't think cold would be a direct factor in heart attacks but cold weather often brings things like snow so people are out working to shovel snow and that exertion often brings on the heart attack.

Hopefully someone with more medical knowledge will pop in and provide a more definitive answer.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 10:58 am
I do not know if it can cause a heart attack but cold can put incredible stress on your system. My car broke down thursday night an I was exposed to sub zero (F) temperature and a very stiff wind for over an hour and a half, at which point my body suddenly went into an incredible spasm. I was cooling down dangerously. Fortunately I got inside immediately and had something warm to drink, but it took me the better part of a day to feel completely comfortable and even now I still feel a bit woozy. I think in those conditions that if you are pron to a heart attack, stress like that might bring one on.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:04 am
Acquiunk- You take care. If the woozy feeling continues, it might be a good idea to get checked by a doctor.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:35 am
Thanks Phoenix I'm feeling better by the hour but I'll keep that in mind.
0 Replies