Why do women waste so much money on haircuts?

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:02 pm
I did the two tone thing myself with my last colour!

I was very cautious - so it is very subtle - I may get a tad bolder next time.

I also got bloody curling tongs! My hair sucks - flat as a salt pan, and I need height - so it has been very short of latter years - and I don't really like that.

Me and me tongs are learning - slowly....I ain't good at girly make-uppy, hairy stuff....

I wasn't REALLY happy about the huge burn on my forehead on New year's Eve....but it has gone now.....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:06 pm
Mine is just a dye the stuff thing, then mix up two lots of other crap, and paint it in wiv a little brush.....simple enough even for me...

My mum was a hairdresser and a mighty seamstress before the lord - but I didn't inherit any of that. She used to do all her friend's hair. Woe betide me if I touched her hairdressing scissors or her tail comb to do the dog - which I did, of course, and broke the comb. Put it back together with spit, and prayed for a miracle.

Got my bum tanned with a strap for that one....dog looked damn fine, though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:07 pm
It has soooooo never been good to admonish me not to do something, imbues it with all the attractions of the sultan's treasure chamber....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:27 pm
I've done the shave it all off, and start over again thing. It wasn't any cheaper than a haircut - and then it was a fair bit of fussy cuts later to turn it into something presentable when it grew out. I liked the shaved thing, but it was too cold to maintain.

Oh boy, a burned forehead - could you find a way to blame someone else, or did you make it a style statement?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:29 pm
Fringe.....thicker than usual....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:35 pm
ahhhhh

i've just baby bangs, so that wouldna worked if i'd had an ironing incident.
(i'm always looking for emergency fixes)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 09:08 pm
I've figured out why it costs so much for a woman's haircut. You ladies actually CARE about it. Notice how there are almost no posts on here by men? Guys don't give a damn. All we want is to not look too goofy, not to have to spend more than about fifteen minutes getting it done, and not to spend too much money.

Thanks, and enjoy your hair.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 09:10 pm
And then, as Craven said, go back again in a bit, ending up spending more per year than the wimmins.

Bad hair life indeed.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 10:27 pm
I guarantee I spend less than you do Sozobe. At the most, I would say I spend about sixty bucks a year on haircuts . . . and it shows. Smile
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 10:28 pm
Theory #1:
Men compete. They require high-performance hair.
Women communicate. They require expressive hair.

High-cost does not perform well financially,
but does express a certain attentiveness, commitment, and receptiveness.

Theory #2:
Good marketting means that every customer pays a different price for a given product.
They pay whatever they are willing to.
Women pay more for many things, and earn less for many things,
mostly because they say "okay" when negotiating.

They're willing to, therefore they do.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 10:36 pm
kickycan, if you average out the last dozen years, I spent about $10 a year on haircuts. (I said "cheap" above, remembered that my husband cut my hair before I moved to L.A. -- would put on jeans, he'd cut along the wasitline.) I have had my hair cut once in the last year (actually it was more than a year ago now I think), cost about $45.

What do I win?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 10:44 pm
Sorry, Soz.....I'm still trying to get over how fast everyone else's hair grows than mine.....I'm bummed. I'm depressed. I want chocolate. Now.

Didn't you HEAR me? I said NOW!

Goshdarnit!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 10:49 pm
Okay, Sozobe, congratulations . . . but I bet I still have worse hair than you!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:07 pm
No one is listening to my chocolate craving......
0 Replies

Smiley

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:36 pm
For Rae -- Just don't let dlowan see you.

http://www.the-chocolatier.com/rtbun.jpg

My last paid haircut cost $15, and was about 15 years ago.
Can anyone beat $1/year even by a hare?

(Ponytails are cool). (Baldness rocks too).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 08:31 am
Ponytails don't rock, on anyone.
Baldness has other problems - ya either need more hats or lotsa sunscreen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 09:07 am
Ponytails are a big problem with long hair. I am wearing contacts again in part because I was sick of constantly putting my hair in a ponytail, but if it's down, it tangles in my glasses. :-? Plus I've been running again, and I HATE having my glasses bounce on the bridge of my nose or slide off entirely.

I can just maybe beat you, Smiley, IF you had a lot of haircuts before 15 years ago. My lifetime professional (not my mom, not myself, not a friend, not hubby) haircuts:

1982. Very ill-advised bob. $30?

1998. First real L.A. haircut. ~$50
1999. Another.
2000. Another.

2002. Ill-advised Cost Cutters hack job. ~$10.
A few months later. Salon dealie, much better. $45.

I'm 33, so lesse... $160, $225, $255, divided by 33 is $7.23 a year.

That ~$10 at Cost Cutters reminds me of a central premise I forgot to challenge -- which women's haircuts are so much more expensive than men's? A straightforward trim is quite cheap.

(Did the choc bunny hit the spot, Rae?)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 09:29 am
i'd be in the same range, soz. until i was about 25 i did not let anyone touch my hair - i cut and colored it myself, from platinum blonde, through red, green, all the way to black. depending on mood and season. i love smiley's theory#1, i am sure that is indeed it.
and kickykan, i don't know which men you know but ALL (or, not to exaggerate, say 85%)of my male friends fuss about their hair and care about their looks. some are obsessed with hair way more than any women i know. go figure.
i don't see that much difference between genders in this sense, except for that frequency and price thingy, which in the end of the year comes about even anyway for both.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 09:31 am
ha, and they are bloody intelleguans, how bout dem normal people then?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 06:49 pm
Dag, that's because you know all those meterosexuals. And then you know me, Lili and Emily. Hmm.....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:06:41