Why do women waste so much money on haircuts?

Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:37 pm
Last year I got tired of paying them for what I could do myself, so I cut my own hair and my mom trims the back. My hair is very long and strait, so it's not much to maintain.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:37 pm
I have naturally curly hair ~ and while I love ya'll to bits, I hate that your hair grows faster than mine.....A half inch trim takes me a year to grow back.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:17 pm
Well, gee, we are all thrifty, but in fact, women's clothing is charged more then men's.

womens' shirts are treated as more precious then mens' shirts , not just for a mere minutes but for decades... I asked once, and got some answer about different processes, and haven't done much dry cleaning since, besides, isn't drycleaning another whole subject.?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:35 pm
My hair has become much thinner as I have aged, so I do need someone who really knows what she or he is doing. I make up for the $50.00 price by never getting a manicure and buying lots, if not all of my clothes at consignment shops--and I have a nice wardrobe.

I think there was a 60 Minutes special on dry cleaners and the difference charged for women's shirts compared to men's. Still happens.

Beth, I think your 'poofity' hair is cute.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 10:52 pm
Ten dollar cut and fifty dollar cut, or more, which is perfect?

I have a cut that seems simple to me, a graduated bob, same length at bottom and top, and angle between, fairly sharp. Trust me, nobody gets this. One out of seven of my haircuts is ok. Kind of like the lottery. Plus, watch yourself being shined on as a matron. Notalways, I know, but when it happens it is particularly sludgey.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 06:43 am
grrrrrrrrr
<snarling at all the straight-haired, hair doesn't grow fast people>

It's 5 weeks to the day since my last haircut, and it looks like I've got birds roosting up top. <sigh> On Wednesday, I woke up looking like I'd had my hair in rollers overnight - like a 1960's country singer's bouffant. <sigh> I need a cut, but I'm trying to hang in for another week. Poofity. Diane, you can't imagine the poofity goin' on right now.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:15 am
people have MANICURES?

My hair grows like a weed, too - and at all different speeds and directions...sigh...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 07:23 am
ahhhhhh, the manicure and pedicure. I had my first pedicure just under 2 years ago, a 45th birthday present to myself - at the urging of the general and littlek. I tried a manicure later. Not so amazing. But the pedicure ... paradise ... 2 hours in a vibrating chair, people massaging my toes and feet and calves ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:24 am
Is littlek yours!?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:37 am
$18 cut...not so bad since my hair is a little longer than shoulder length. It's the coloring that costs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:42 am
eoe - littlek is an off-forum friend.
Eva- isn't colour divine?! I love love love hair colour. I've been colouring my hair longer than I haven't. <sheepish grin>
I get such a kick out of it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:38 pm
My hair is now approximately the same color it was when I was a child. I have the complexion of a blonde, with blonde eyebrows & eyelashes. When my hair turned mousy brown as a teenager, it made me look very tired and frankly, it didn't match the rest of me. I've been coloring it ever since. Sort of a mixture of blonde, strawberry blonde & light brown right now. Very much like my avatar, only not as long. It waves like that, too.

Once when I was in my mid-20s I let it grow out for about 6 or 8 months, to see what it looked like. One day I looked in the mirror and thought, "Oh yeah! THAT's why I've been coloring it!" I've been doing so ever since. I have some gray, they tell me (!), but not enough to matter. One of these days when it is mostly gray, I will try growing it out again and see if I like it.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:48 pm
I went to a place that offered a special on Tuesdays for 20 Euros - you had to blow-dry your hair yourself which is pretty easy with my hair. It is extremely straight. But I was never really happy with it. Then BigDice tried a new place in our town - two young girls with wildly coloured long hair. And they are really good. I have layers now and my hair does not just hang there like it used to. It costs me around 35 Euros. And it is absolutely worth it!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 05:15 pm
<grin>

How can you tell I'm a woman? Well, as of about an hour ago, I've got copper brown hair. hehehehehehe

I hadn't been feeling 100% for a few days. A sinus thing. Decided to go boil my head in the shower before I took the dogs for a walk. Went upstairs - looked in the cupboard for some new soap. Spotted a coupla bottles of colour. Hmmmmmmm. Shake, apply, wait, shower, lather, voila!

It's a bit vibrant right now. It'll be good by Monday. I wonder what they'll think at work. I was a strawberry blonde with a couple of copper hilites yesterday! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 05:18 pm
Ohmygawd! Ursula got a hair cut?! I can't wait to see it!!!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 05:20 pm
ehBeth- Good for you, girl. There is nothing like a change of color to put a spring in your step. I have a kit of one of those two phase color thingys. You put on one color, and then add in highlights. My hair is very short now, so I will wait about another week for it to grow some more, and put it on.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 05:23 pm
My hair is very very dark and I've never been able to do the color thing. Tried a few times, didn't do nothin'. Was told I'd have to bleach it or something, THEN color it... eh. Too much trouble.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 05:26 pm
OOOOOOOhhhhhhhh, Phoenix! the two-stage thing! One of the women at work did that. Spectacular results. Have fun with it!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 05:31 pm
Soz- Yeah, you would have to strip it to a certain level (according to the final color that you want), and then put on the appropriate toner. With your color hair, you probably could go to deep auburn in one process, if that's what you want.

ehBeth- I had done it once before (the two stage thing), and it has grown out. It looked pretty nifty, if I should say so myself! Very Happy
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 06:42 pm
To answer the initial question about the price difference here is my opinion:

1) Not apples to apples. My cut can be performed in 5 minutes by someone with no experience (I do it myself some times). Soem women's cuts require more time and skill.

2) Frequency. Men tend to get their hair cut more often than women, especially when the trend is toward really short hair.

Periodicity frequently has an effect on prices. The price I'd do something once for you is not the same as the price I'd do it for you every week.

3) If I get a bad hair cut I say "just shave it all off and I'll be back when it grows". If a woman gets a bad haircut.....

TEE HEE
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:20:15