Why do women waste so much money on haircuts?

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:14 pm
Women sure spend a lot of money on haircuts. I go and it costs me fifteen bucks at the most. But I see places charging upwards of fifty dollars for a woman's cut. Not anything special either, just a haircut. Why do women stand for that crap?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,427 • Replies: 63
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:15 pm
Maybe they think there hair is worth more then mens.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:24 pm
Why do women get charged more for dry cleaning?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:27 pm
They do?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:27 pm
Well I never heard of that one.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:30 pm
Because if they don't, their friends will be better than them. It's just like buying a bigger/better/more expensive car than your neighbor. Called keeping up with the jones'.
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:39 pm
Gender based pricing is prevalent in both these industries. Compare the cost of laundering a womans blouse to that of a man's shirt next time you drop something off. Shocked
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 05:48 pm
Maybe it's because women are far more likely to complain and ask for their money back. The dry cleaner and/or hair stylist needs to make up the loss in income for these high maintenance types.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:05 pm
I get my hair cut at the barbers'- Nine bucks a pop, plus a 2 buck tip. I do my "dry cleaning" with one of those products that you use in the washing machine. Haven't had my nails done since my wedding to my first husband.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:20 pm
My hair cut: 14 bucks. But I do know men who seek out one hour haircut/barber sessions and pay 50-70 bucks.
Do women really complain more and ask for money back? Not sure that is true at all either.
Some woman must have pissed you off today, kickykan, ay?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:24 pm
haircut?
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:25 pm
kickycan wrote:
Maybe it's because women are far more likely to complain and ask for their money back. The dry cleaner and/or hair stylist needs to make up the loss in income for these high maintenance types.

Hello? Lost income? Don't think so. Being thought of as "high maintenance" has a curious snob appeal to some women, who doubtless think something that costs more must be better. Rolling Eyes

(btw- I wouldn't let one of those low price, one cut fits all emporiums touch a hair on MY head Embarrassed Laughing )
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:33 pm
dys, i am a slovak, cut me some slack! sl ack.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:36 pm
I pay mid-range prices (15 plus tip) 2 or 3 times a year.
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:44 pm
I haven't had a haircut for 40 years - trying to figure what that has saved me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:49 pm
It depended on how I was wearing my hair at the time. I've had ten dollar cuts and fifty-plus dollar cuts.
Nothing like a perfect haircut. Worth every dime.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:06 pm
I've cut my own hair for years...so I guess I've saved a few dollars.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:18 pm
I 'wasted' fifty bucks on a hair cut about twenty years ago. A new guy just starting out here in Cocoa Beach ~ Paul Mitchell.

After that cut I went home and cried. Since then, my sister trims my hair when we're together, or I stop by a barber for a trim.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:23 pm
My hair grows like the proverbial weed. I need to get it cut every 6 weeks, but 4 weeks would be better. I have lumpy hair, so it's not easy finding someone who can deal with it. I'm loyal to a cutter once I find a good one. I've been devoted to people who do $20 cuts, and people who do $60 cuts. I don't switch unless they leave town, or the salon, or I move.

I pay whatever it takes to get a decent cut. I've tried a few bargain places - and discovered that you get what you pay for. Scissor-handling is definitely an art.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 09:33 pm
I had very long hair for a long time (like past my waist) and just had a simple trim now and then. Cheap.

Then I moved to L.A., had to present the whole mover and shaker facade to get what I needed to get (money, institutional support, etc.) and got my very first REAL haircut, a layered dealie with attendant awapuhi whatsits and a diffuser for my hairdryer. It worked, anyway. I did like it.

Had that updated now and then in L.A., then didn't have my hair cut for a couple of years, the summer before last just got tired of it being so long, went to Cost Cutters, asked 'em to cut some off. Wanted it to go to about the bottom of my shoulderblades in the back. Was one of those slapstick "Oops it slants a little to the right Oops it slants a little to the left Oops..." and I got about 6 inches more cut off than I bargained for. Evil or Very Mad It also was just so flat. I'd gotten used to layers, makes things more interesting.

After that grew out to a decent length (my hair grows super fast, too), I went to a real place, got layers. Only go there once a year or so, but it's worth it. A good cut -- and it's fairly complicated -- does its job even as it grows out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why do women waste so much money on haircuts?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 04:11:20