How do you take your caviar?

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 10:25 am
I was watching the 1997 movie Titanic on TCM, starring Leonardo DiCaprio as the penniless Jack Dawson a passenger from steerage who had occasion to dine with the upper-class elite.

The caviar server asked him "Sir, how do you take your caviar?" Taken aback, Jack could only say "Uh, none for me." His response seemed to startle his fellow diners.

In the event I should win the jackpot lottery and dine with country club snobs, what would be an acceptable answer to such a question? So, how does one take his caviar?

Thanks in advance to dining etiquette experts.

And no wisecracks (joefromchicago), s'il vous plait.

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 10:53 am
http://e3.pudelek.pl/p2609/004a9656002b59d64ce6a41e
chai2

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 11:19 am
@easyasabc,
The only reason his answer surprised the other guests is because it's assumed everyone wants to eat caviar.

The answer "none for me" is perfectly fine.
0 Replies

easyasabc

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 04:02 pm
@Setanta,
Is she covered with caviar or is that a bad case of seborrheic keratosis?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 04:03 pm
@easyasabc,
Looks like Beluga repulsensis to me..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 04:09 pm
@easyasabc,
Im trying to prevent sturgeon from going extinct in my lifetime.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 06:01 pm
@farmerman,
Good idea, farmer.

In the meantime, caviar came up as a subject in this recent thread -

http://able2know.org/topic/175997-1
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2011 06:04 pm
Tom Hanks had the best response to the question of caviar...

Sturgis

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2011 05:26 am
@Butrflynet,
The Tom Hanks reaction was similar to mine. Sure, it looked good sitting there on that blasted cracker at the McCrackens' 50th wedding anniversary party. Then I tasted it and searched for a napkin. Lacking the time for that, I lifted my blazer jacket and deposited the remains of the caviar and cracker along with what was in my mouth, directly in the pocket.

It was a nice jacket, emerald green with big gold buttons...

I've never made the mistake of trying caviar again.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 01:16 am
@Sturgis,
Plebean!
Good sturgeon roe is absolutely to die for!
oolongteasup

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 02:29 am
@easyasabc,
Caviar is taken on toasts or crackers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 04:56 am
@easyasabc,
EAting sturgeon roe is the equivalent of dining on the tonhues of the last mountain gorillas. Salmon ore and several other anadromus fish have roe that is quite delicious. Why people must insist on eating the roe of a critically endangered species like the CAspian Sturgeon is a mystery to me. Its not something that is vital or even a "must eat".
The anadromus sturgeon of the US eastern bays (Delaware, Chesapeake, Savannah R,) have all been depleted of sturgeon due to the original "sweep em clean" methods of fishing in the last 2 centruies. Once in a while someone will catch a stirgeon in a net near the lower parts of the bay and maybe theres a wee bit of hope. The sturgeon species that served the US appetite in the "gilded age" was mostly locally derived and was still called "Beluga". No one really could tell the diff since it was essentially the same fish separated by 55 million years of continental drift.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2011 05:11 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Got that right, I did almost die it was so awful.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 12:29 am
@Sturgis,
Yeah, and then I find out, just now, that you don't like sardines either. Me, I frequently open a can of sardines to go with my hard-cooked eggs n the morning. Heaven!

Again, plebean!

But, no offense.

Laughing
msolga

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 02:44 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
EAting sturgeon roe is the equivalent of dining on the tonhues of the last mountain gorillas. Salmon ore and several other anadromus fish have roe that is quite delicious. Why people must insist on eating the roe of a critically endangered species like the CAspian Sturgeon is a mystery to me. Its not something that is vital or even a "must eat".

Hear, hear, farmer!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2011 04:27 am
@Lustig Andrei,
If you noticed, I will tolerate sardines, I have eaten them and if there's a decent dark bread involved they improve greatly. There really is no hope for caviar.

Then again, you're willingly misleading poor GracieGirl into believing that A Tree Grows In Brooklyn is a a great book... must be the sardines and caviar eating away at your brain. They do that, you know.

Just noticed, you're into hard cooked eggs as well...sad, really sad. The pleasure of the runny egg yolk eluding you. I truly worry for your being.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 5 Jul, 2017 10:38 am
0 Replies