Requirements to Obtain United States Citizenship

gollum

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 03:53 pm
Is a foreign person applying for U.S. citizenship required to be proficient in English?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,667 • Replies: 7

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 04:37 pm
@gollum,
It doesn't look it, see: what da gummint says.
gollum

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 04:50 pm
@jespah,
jespah-
I think the abnswer is yes. On the web site you provided:

"For more information, see our How Do I Apply for Citizenship? guide. We also provide educational materials to help you prepare for the English, U.S. history and civics portions of the naturalization test, including:"
roger

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 05:16 pm
@gollum,
Glad you could answer your own question.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2011 12:19 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:
Is a foreign person applying for U.S. citizenship required to be proficient in English?

In principle, yes. The citizenship test includes reading and speaking tests to make sure you know English. When I say "in principle", I mean the requirement is sometimes waived, as when elderly parents of US citizens have moved in with them to make their care easier. The parents could petition for a waiver.
gollum

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 12:29 pm
@Thomas,
I read that under the Federal Voting Rights Act, it is illegal to discriminate against voters on the basis of race, color, or language.

Is this true? Why if English is a requirement for citizenship?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 12:41 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I read that under the Federal Voting Rights Act, it is illegal to discriminate against voters on the basis of race, color, or language.

Your confusing the issue. Knowing a certain level of English (enough to pass a test) IS NOT the same thing as being proficient in that language. Knowing and proficiency are not the exact same thing.

The line you directly quoted DOES NOT require language proficiency only a certain minimum and working knowledge of the language.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 01:39 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I don't know if its true, but it's certainly irrelevant. The Federal Voting Rights act only applies to citizens. Immigration law only applies to foreigners. Hence, prospective immigrants cannot logically have any rights under the Voting Rights Act.
0 Replies