Resigned from teaching job because of Abuse

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:15 am
I recently accepted a teaching position as a lead pre-k teacher at a daycare. After working there only two days, I observed such abuse that I decided to resign and report it. I wrote a letter to the director and I would like to post it and get others opinions on whether they agree that is is abuse. Here is the letter:

I worked in the Pre-K 2 classroom as the Lead Pre-K teacher and I observed certain discipline practices that I do not agree with and do not feel are healthy for the children. Having a degree in Child Psychology, I understand the harmful effects that yelling and using harsh tones can have on children. When a child did not listen or misbehaved, that child’s name was yelled by (the assistant teacher) and she would harshly instruct them to do the proper behavior. Many times I noticed the child that was being yelled at would have tears in their eyes or would then withdraw from all activities. Some of the children who were being yelled at were new to the classroom, and rather than gently showing them the right way to behave, they were made to feel unwelcomed and humiliated.
The most shocking practice I observed occurred at the end of nap time when the assistant shouted the children’s names to wake them up and I even observed a particular incident where she shook a child’s cot in order to wake them. The children woke up so abruptly and then were immediately made to carry their cots to the closet. In all my years in child care, I have never seen such a practice to wake children up and I do not believe it is right.
The last incident that I did not agree with occurred when a child tried to give me a hug. Anytime a child comes to me to give me a hug I always hug them back. I believe this makes the child feel secure and establishes a caring bond between child and teacher. During this incident, the child hugged me and the assistant harshly said “Get off Miss (my name)!!” I could not believe what I’d heard. At the young age of 4 and especially with being the first week of school, no child should be denied a hug.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,232 • Replies: 13
No top replies

concernedteacher

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:28 am
@concernedteacher,
Could someone please reply?
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 11:02 am
@concernedteacher,
Methinks that someone's daycare license could be lifted. Charges pending???
Mame

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 12:19 pm
@concernedteacher,
I think you might have stayed to change things. As lead, wouldn't you have had some say? How are you helping those kids now?
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 01:03 pm
@Mame,
As lead, you might well be put in the position of fall guy when these issues come to light. Just ask yourself, is that how the parents would want their children treated, would tolerate their children being treated?
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 01:33 pm
@concernedteacher,
I wouldn't call it abuse based on your description.
concernedteacher

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:15 pm
@JTT,
Well I submitted a written statement and they are sending it to corporate so I don't know how it will be handled
0 Replies

concernedteacher

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:16 pm
@Mame,
I am helping those kids by reporting the abusive teacher. There will be an investigation of the teacher and I doubt she will be allowed to stay.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:16 pm
@concernedteacher,
Uh..., I don't know about abuse here. Kids are pretty tough, or should be. Maybe you could also wonder why they seem so overly sensitive. What are they doing the rest of day when not being "abused?" Are they happily playing, or learning together?

When I did volunteer work with young children the head of this particular program suggested hugging is OK but somehow not necessary. What if the child told his parents about the "hugging."

Oh, dear, I too think you could have stayed on this job, maybe changed your own vision of what you see. It seems you didn't give this job a chance. Hopefully, youre still there and asking our opinion to assist you in your decision to leave, or attempt to change it yourself as someone suggested.
concernedteacher

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:17 pm
@JTT,
No, if I were a parent and my child was being treated that way I would most certainly pull them out and report the issue. That's why I felt compelled to report it myself, I knew in my heart it was not right. I was just hoping to get some reassurance from others that I did the right thing.
0 Replies

concernedteacher

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:18 pm
@Ticomaya,
So you think it's right for kids to be yelled at and their cots be shaken to wake them up?
concernedteacher

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:21 pm
@Pemerson,
The children were 4 years old, for many this was their first experience away from home. They need to be treated gently and kindly, not yelled at. By hey, that's my opinion. I did not want to work in a place where kids were yelled at...it totally goes against my beliefs. I did resign and am going on an interview at a Montessori school on Monday where I believe my philosophies will match better with theirs.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 02:30 pm
@concernedteacher,
concernedteacher wrote:

So you think it's right for kids to be yelled at and their cots be shaken to wake them up?

I didn't say that. Still, I don't consider it abuse.
JTT

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 04:23 pm
@Ticomaya,
Tico the liawyer, splitting hairs.
0 Replies