Has anyone used the Gardasil vaccine?

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 08:40 am
Lately I've been seeing it advertised for boys and I'm wondering if I should think about it for Mo.

Has anyone taken this vaccine or had their kids take this vaccine? Were there any problems?

Are you planning of having your child get the vaccine? Why or why not?

Here's a short article about it: http://healthland.time.com/2011/02/03/gardasil-protects-boys-and-men-from-hpv-too/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,910 • Replies: 11
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 08:48 am
@boomerang,
Interesting, I've been thinking about this one. It came out a while ago, recently enough that sozlet was around and I knew I'd have to think about it eventually, but long ago enough that the eventuality seemed far enough in the future to put off making any decisions.

I think we probably will but I'm going to enter high research mode first -- it makes me a bit nervous to try something so new in terms of side effects or whatever. But in my first round of research I seemed to come to the conclusion that the risk of side effects was low. I don't remember why.

If I come across anything interesting I'll post it here. And will be reading with interest.
boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 08:51 am
@sozobe,
Thanks! I'll look forward to reading what you can dig up.

I've never really given it any thought since it was always a girl thing so I'm kind of behind the curve. My early look around doesn't show many problems.

I think it might still be early to start thinking about it but I think it might be easier to approach the topic at this age than later.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 10:22 am
I had checked with Planned Parenthood and they are awaiting approval to
use Gardasil on teens younger than 19 years old. So far, we have not done it either, and Jane will be 16 next month....it's a series of 3 injections and they're quite painful I am told. That might be another reason, that not too many women have completed the entire series of shots.

Here is a good NYT article on it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/health/19garda.html
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 10:27 am
@CalamityJane,
Thank you, I knew I'd read something about it recently that got me thinking about it again, couldn't remember what it was. That was it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 11:01 am
@CalamityJane,
This was the part that made me go Shocked, even though I know the correlation-is-not-necessarily-causation drill:

Quote:
Several girls have died after receiving the vaccinations, although it’s not known whether the shots were related.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 11:21 am
@sozobe,
I wonder for those girls who died, whether they were immune system compromised in the first place.
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 11:55 am
@tsarstepan,
It could also just be that if there is a large enough sample, some people will die. It doesn't say how, maybe one drowned, one was in a car accident, etc.

edit, just looked it up:

Quote:
Deaths
As of June 22, 2011 there have been a total 68 VAERS reports of death among those who have received Gardasil® . There were 54 reports among females, 3 were among males, and 11 were reports of unknown gender. Thirty two of the total death reports have been confirmed and 36 remain unconfirmed due to no identifiable patient information in the report such as a name and contact information to confirm the report. A death report is confirmed (verified) after a medical doctor reviews the report and any associated records. In the 32 reports confirmed, there was no unusual pattern or clustering to the deaths that would suggest that they were caused by the vaccine and some reports indicated a cause of death unrelated to vaccination.

(Emphasis mine.)

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Vaccines/HPV/gardasil.html

Earlier they say that 35 million doses have been distributed in the US. That might mean more like 10 million people if each person needs three doses, not sure about that.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:10 pm
@sozobe,
Yes, I have read that too!
Well, Jane just had a series of shots for pertussis and a booster for chickenpox, TB and Hepatitis testing done (she started volunteering at a hospital) and even there I was concerned it could be too much at once.

I am all for vaccinations but not if there is still so little data on it and
it can lead to death.

Plus what makes me wonder is that Planned Parenthood has no approval
to administer the vaccination to anyone younger than 19.
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:19 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes, that makes me wonder too. (Re: Planned Parenthood.) That was new information for me, thanks for that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:35 pm
Thanks for that link, CJane. That was good information. I'm glad I have a bit of time to make the decision.

I wonder why Planned Parenthood won't do them until a girl is 19. That seems really weird and contrary to their sexual health platform.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 12:54 pm
The three shots cost a total of $400 which maybe makes sense for some females, but it certainly does not make sense for males. Guardisil is an example of a drug company using scare tactics and sketchy facts to push their mostly uneeded and very expensive product.
0 Replies