the death penalty --- for or against ?

fullofmalarkey9

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:10 pm
I agree with the previous posters who likened the death penalty to an act of vengeance. Personally, I don't believe that society, or the government has the right to authorize taking the life of any of its members, or citizens. However, society must protect itself from those who seek to cause harm and hurt its members. Hence, the idea of isolating them from society while providing them with the bare necessities for survival seems to be the forced course of action given the circumstance.

I put this in my signature on 9.11.01 which I think also fits into the theme of the thread (maybe?)...

In remembrance of the World Trade Center
Condolences to all affected by this tragedy
May our future actions be worthy of the representation of your memory[/i]
United as a country, I join in saying rest in peace

The applicable part of that was italicized. After we die, what mark do we leave on this world? For some, it will be though writings, others achievements, others ideas and theories, but for many it will be based on the memories that you left with those closest to you.

I guess the best way I can explain how I look at the issue is to explain what I think I would think if someone close to me was murdered. Some call murders tragedies, but I say that if[/i] the loss of his/her life really was a tragedy, do I not hold some responsibility to show[/i] others why[/i] the loss of that person was a tragedy? The death penalty acknowledges that there was a loss, but for the retribution, the person's memory is used to catalyze more[/i] loss. To me that just emits a vibe of vengeance not only on behalf of the people who pursued the death penalty, but undeservedly towards my memory of the victim as well. If I had a close bond with that person I would want to live my life from that point on to honor that bond and those memories.

I am skeptical of anyone who says they are pursuing justice for the deceased after death. Just as I am skeptical of anyone who is saying they are following God's Will by hating/persecuting others. In each case they taking something of which a lot of good can come from, and using it for their own personal agendas and desires.

Final thought: We often wish for the dead to "Rest in Peace" but I imagine, if they had the chance, they would wish us to "Live in Peace" in return.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:48 pm
When I believed in the death penalty, I was fond of saying it should not be undertaken as an act of vengeance or to cater to the victems' families: It should be performed as an act of surgery to remove a disease from the body of humankind. I justified it on the grounds that if they recieved instead a life term there would always be do-gooders trying to free them. I also said it should be much more difficult than it is now to impose the death penalty. But I was wrong. We must abolish the death penalty.
0 Replies