HAVE THERE BEEN ANY KIDNAPPINGS, PERSONAL THREATS, SO ON AND SO FORTH ON THIS FORUM?

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:38 pm
I told my mom that i had made a topic stating i am moving to Vancouver, Canada. she became distressed with this fact, that i had done this, and stated the CITY (OH NO!!) that i would be living in. the reasons for this are the obvious ones that i am a minor and there fore vulnerable to the things stated in the title of this topic. is there any reason why i should NOT have mentioned any personal information in this forum?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 5,332 • Replies: 51

Fido

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:49 pm
@hamilton,
All I know of is a number or instances where the truth has been tied into a pretzel and locked in the dark of an unused room in an unworthy mind...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:54 pm
@hamilton,
It is good practice on the internet to reveal as little personal information as possible that would make you vulnerable to nefarious intentions.

If you haven't already done so, you and your mother might wish to review some of the common safe internet practices.

Here are a few sites with helpful suggestions:

http://www.safeteens.com/

http://bewebsafe.net/index.php/2011/04/age-based-guidelines-for-internet-use/
Questioner

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hamilton,

This is good advice from Butrflynet. a2k is fairly easily search-able through google. Keeping personal information personal is always a wise idea on the internet.

Having said all that, of all of the forums, usenets, irc rooms, what have you I've ever been in, this one is perhaps the most normal, mature, and 'safe'. But do read through Butrflynet's links anyway, and take heed with what you share.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:59 pm
@hamilton,
As a rule, put no personal information, if you are not yet an adult it is wise to not even offer your actual name, even when registering at websites such as this to become a member, instead use a name that you like, it can be a character from a book or television program or movie or just something which you make up on your own because you like the sound of it.

hamilton

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:03 pm
@Sturgis,
thank goodness i havent used my name....
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:10 pm
alot of the members on this forum have demonstrated lots of integrity. a few have met each other, even. i see quite a few other minors on this as well, admitting their ages, names, and such, but i have seen no abuse to them in any way that has to do with personal facts. i know i cant trust any of you, except those in reality that i know, but the integrity of this website is pretty hard to get over in those regards. but at least the most i've come out with is a very vague description of my age, my gender, and my city.
Questioner

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:12 pm
@hamilton,
Your name is Roberto. You are 15, and you live in Lubbock Texas. Your favorite candy is Zots and you like to watch MASH re-runs.
hamilton

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:14 pm
@Questioner,
OH MY GOD!!! HAVE YOU BEEN STALKING ME???
Questioner

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:15 pm
@hamilton,
Mostly I've just been watching Sturgis' live cam feed of your room.
hamilton

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:16 pm
@Questioner,
i swear, those magazines arent mine. ive been keeping them for fido.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:21 pm
@Questioner,
I deny everything!

(including the fluffy stuffed bears)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:22 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

I told my mom that i had made a topic stating i am moving to Vancouver, Canada.

I agree with what other posters have said here, but if the only personal info that you have given out is that you are moving, I don't think you need to panic.

Vancouver is a big place and I can't see how anyone could find you on the basis of what you have said.

If you or your mom are really worried, you could always post something else saying that there has been a change of plans and are moving somewhere else. Or, that you're not moving afterwards.

No one will know what the truth is.

Then, in future, be more prudent as to what you post. Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:28 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

I told my mom that i had made a topic stating i am moving to Vancouver, Canada. she became distressed with this fact, that i had done this, and stated the CITY (OH NO!!) that i would be living in. the reasons for this are the obvious ones that i am a minor and there fore vulnerable to the things stated in the title of this topic. is there any reason why i should NOT have mentioned any personal information in this forum?

I'd stop using a photo of yourself in your avatar is all.
hamilton

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 07:52 am
@dlowan,
lol, an at-at being scolded for having an accident?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 07:54 am
@hamilton,
I got kidnapped by the county once... They put a 5000 dollar bond on me, but I just stayed put until they got sick of feeding me, and the bond got down right reasonable... Now; I would be like that kid in the Ransom of Red Chief... Anyone could throw a bag over my head and off with me, but before too long they would be paying folks to take me back...
hamilton

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:46 am
@Reyn,
MORE prudent?
i become an introvert if i do that.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:47 am
@Fido,
hey, do you want those magazines or what, man?
hamilton

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:50 am
back to the title of the topic, (have we even been there?) has there ever been anything like that on this website?
Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 11:08 am
@hamilton,
Not that I've heard of ; but, there was a band of wild gypsies passing through a while ago.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » HAVE THERE BEEN ANY KIDNAPPINGS, PERSONAL THREATS, SO ON AND SO FORTH ON THIS FORUM?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:01:14