Vacation reading suggestions?

djjd62

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 08:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I'll add it to the list. Do you particularly like vampire fiction?

not particularly, i quite liked Salem's Lot and Dracula, but Could never get into anything Anne Rice wrote

i think i enjoyed the post apocalyptic aspect as much as if not more so than the vampire aspect of the story
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 09:02 am
@boomerang,
I realize that you're probably past the point of needing recommendation for a beach book (this is the first time i've seen this thread). I do think, though, that you'd enjoy The Sea Road by Margaret Elphinstone. I personally disagree with her interpretation of the principle saga sources, however, i don't think she does any real violence to history. In fact, she does much better than most writers of historical fiction.

The central character, Gudrid Thorbjarnarsdottir, is a real person, and the description of her life is well attested by saga sources--it's not there that i disagree with Miss Elphinstone, who has carefully used the rather unusual amount of detail available for Gudrid's life. I disagree with her reliance on a sole saga source for the voyage to North America, and, to my mind, the least reliable source. That shouldn't spoil the book for anyone, though.
Irishk

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 03:04 pm
@Setanta,
Looks like something I'd like to read, so I checked to see if there's an ebook format and there IS!! I also like the sound of this one by the same author!

Thanks!
0 Replies

park27

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:56 pm
Highly suggest anything by Lawrence Kelter. His newest book, The Brain Vault is great. He writes really stellar mystery and detective books. They're quick reads but they keep you interested from cover to cover. Great for vacations.
0 Replies