Vacation reading suggestions?

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:22 pm
@DrewDad,
Stardust by Neil Gaiman was good. The movie's good, too.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:23 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I loved the first book of Dune and wanted very much to like the others.

Ditto.

boomerang wrote:
Have you read Ender's Game? I liked the first one and the others are supposed to be good. I'm waiting for Mo to get a bit older because I think he would like them and we enjoy reading things together.

I like the short story/novella version. I don't think expanding it to novel form improved it any.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 04:55 pm
@DrewDad,
Stardust was the least dark of Gaiman's work. I liked it, but I liked Anansi Boys better. I'm reading American Gods now.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 05:26 pm
@boomerang,
Berlin Noir by Philip Kerr, pure Chandler.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2011 06:54 pm
@boomerang,
Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Bet you've read it, though.
boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 05:37 am
@Pemerson,
I haven't read it yet. It looks really good but also looks like it has the potential to be sad. Especially sad when I know I'll be missing my constant companion while I'm away. Maybe I'll save that one for when I get back. Thanks for the recommendation!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 07:57 pm
We leave bright and early tomorrow morning and I have downloaded samples of all the books mentioned that had samples available. Thank you all so much for making sure I have solid entertainment during my trip.

I missed your reply the first time through somehow, izzythepush, thank you for responding. They only have a study guide for that book on Kindle -- how weird is that? I'll keep my eyes peeled for it!
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 07:58 pm
@boomerang,
So where are you vacationing, boomer?
boomerang

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:07 pm
@CalamityJane,
We're going to visit family so we're going to be moving around a bit.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:58 pm
@Ben Smith,
Quote:
I've just finished "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger ...

An excellent read.

I've almost finished listening to it via audio book, Ben.
I agree, it's fascinating.

If you're still looking for reading material, boomerang, I'd recommend Audrey Niffenegger's second novel, Her Fearful Symmetry, which I thought was even more riveting. :

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/27/books/review/Cokal-t.html?pagewanted=all

0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:10 pm
Hi there boomer! In case you check this thread again, I couldn't put this one down last month: The Passage by Justin Cronin.
jbernheimer

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 11:49 pm
Hello Boomerang. As the author of Confessions of a D-List Supervillain, I was googling my title and this thread showed up. I'm glad you're liking the story so far and hope that the rest is just as enjoyable.

If you're looking for additional suggestions, I recently enjoyed M.G. Harmon's Wearing the Cape, which is also a superhero based story. It has more of a YA feel to it than Confessions. If you like a darker picture, you can give Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines a look (Superheroes vs Zombies).

Regards,
Jim Bernheimer
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 11:58 pm
@jbernheimer,
Welcome to a2k, jbernheimer.
You'll need to get rid of that link.
You can put a link into your a2k profile.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 05:51 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I missed your reply the first time through somehow, izzythepush, thank you for responding. They only have a study guide for that book on Kindle -- how weird is that? I'll keep my eyes peeled for it!

That is weird, I never thought it had reached 'study status,' although they are historically very accurate.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 06:19 am
@mac11,
i really enjoyed The Passage as well
izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 07:01 am
@djjd62,
Is that a book, or something else?
djjd62

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 07:17 am
@izzythepush,
a post apocalyptic vampire tale, sort of the stand/andromeda strain meets mad max
izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 08:06 am
@djjd62,
I'll add it to the list. Do you particularly like vampire fiction?
boomerang

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 08:44 am
It turns out I didn't get much chance to read while away but I did get started on a few of the books.

"Priceless" is wonderful! I'm liking it very much.

I'm also really liking "Good Omens" but I'm thinking of buying it in print. I feel like I'm missing a lot by not reading the footnotes and a Kindle doesn't lend itself to page flipping. Also, it's easy to lose track of who is good and who is bad so not being able to quickly flip to the character list is kind of a drag. It is a funny book though and reminds me of Christopher Moore just like I thought it would!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 08:47 am
@jbernheimer,
Hello to you! Thanks for stopping by. I thought your book was really good.

I loved the whole idea of Imaginary Larry! Will there be a sequel? I'd love to know what goes on with him and what happens with the baby.
0 Replies