Terror in Norway: Shootout, bomb explosions kill 11

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:03 am
@roger,
If you have got the license for those - no problem. (Similar e.g. here in Germany.)
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:09 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Fantastic. So can we, but the licensing is a booger bear, and the transfer tax isn't so cheap either.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:31 am
@roger,
Actually, I'm not sure if it's really a machinegun - the Norwegian word is "automatvåpen" ('automatic weapon').
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 01:50 am
I am scoring this as 85% probability that this is all about how at least one Norwegian is pissed of that the county has been handed over the the invading Muslim hoard.
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
We've got some really ambiguous nomenclature, don't we?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 03:57 am
@roger,

So sad. Kids trying to swim to safety through open seas.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 05:49 am

A second person (armed with a knife) has been arrested in Sundvollen, where many victim's relatives are assembled in hotel.
(He said that he was a member of Social-Democratic youth and was armed only for self-defence, according to NRK)
gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:14 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
He's been active on anti-Islam websites.

Some reason why he didn't find a way to shoot 87 muslims??
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
A second person (armed with a knife) has been arrested in Sundvollen, where many victim's relatives are assembled in hotel.
(He said that he was a member of Social-Democratic youth and was armed only for self-defence, according to NRK)

They're going to arrest somebody for owning a knife after some one just killed 87 people with a machinegun? I mean, is that supposed to be competent police work or something like that?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:20 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

They're going to arrest somebody for owning a knife after some one just killed 87 people with a machinegun? I mean, is that supposed to be competent police work or something like that?

Should they just stand by when he had killed more?

(They've got the main person, now looking if someone else was involved.)
gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Actually, I'm not sure if it's really a machinegun - the Norwegian word is "automatvåpen" ('automatic weapon').

That would be something like an AK. "Автомат" is a Russian word for a submachinegun with a magazine holding 20 or 30 rounds, as in "Автомат Калащникова 47", or AK47.

It still sounds like there had to be more than one guy involved.

gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Sounds like they just arrested some bystander for possessing a knife...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:28 am
@gungasnake,
I suppose that only a few people speak Russian in Norway.

The Norwegian militia had a (slightly) changed G3 at home (and imposingly, many still have got it).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:28 am
@gungasnake,
It may sound so. But it looked different on tv.
http://i55.tinypic.com/5bweuw.jpg
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 06:41 am
Quote:
As Norway struggles to come to terms with its greatest loss of life in decades, all eyes are on the man charged in the explosion in central Oslo and a deadly shooting rampage.

While police have not officially named him, Norwegian television and newspaper reports have identified the suspect as 32-year-old Anders Behring Breivik, of Norwegian origin.

A picture is emerging, gleaned from official sources and social media, of a right-wing Christian fundamentalist who may have had an issue with Norway's multi-cultural society.

Norwegian and international news outlets have run photographs of a blond man with blue-green eyes and chiseled features, dressed in a preppy style.

A victim who was shot during the attack on the island told CNN Saturday that he had seen pictures of Breivik taken from what is believed to be his Facebook page and shown on NRK and TV2. The victim said he recognized the man from the news reports as the gunman.

Breivik is a member of the Oslo Pistol Club and has three weapons registered in his name, according to leading Norwegian newspaper VG, citing Norway's official weapons register. They are a Glock pistol, a rifle and a shotgun, VG reported.

A post in Breivik's name on an online forum, Document.no, from December 2009, talks about young non-Muslim teenagers being "in an especially precarious situation with regards to being harassed by Islamic youth."

"I know of many hundred occasions where non-Muslims have been robbed, beaten up and harassed by Islamic gangs," the post reads. "I had a best friend between the ages of 12-17 who was a Pakistani, so I was one of the many protected, cool 'potatoes' that had protection. But this also made me see the hypocrisy up close and personal and made me nauseous."

Police have not ruled out the possibility that other people may have helped the suspect but say at present they are not pursuing any other arrests.

"The official questioning is starting now," Roger Andresen, a police official, told reporters during a news conference Saturday.

The suspect was cooperating with police, making it clear he wanted to explain himself, Andresen said.

Two addresses connected to the suspect are being searched, police said. One of them is believed to be an apartment in Oslo and the other a farm in Hedmark.

NRK reports that he is registered as having run a company which produced "vegetables, melons, roots and tubers" -- an industry which allows access to large amounts of fertilizer, the broadcaster notes, which can be used for explosives.

More details on the man are sure to emerge in the coming hours and days. But what many Norwegians find hard to comprehend is that the chief suspect appears to be one of their own.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg stressed that whoever was behind the attacks must be dealt with properly.

"It is very important that those who are responsible -- one or several persons -- are sentenced according to Norwegian law, in the Norwegian system of justice," he said.

"Norway is a small country but it is a proud country. We are all very close, especially in times like this."

source
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 07:40 am
@gungasnake,

Quote:
Sounds like they just arrested some bystander for possessing a knife...

If it is illegal to carry such a knife (as it is in Britain, and may be the same in Norway) then the police, however regretfully, would have to act on that fact.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:00 am
Quote:
In the safest, most boring country, the worst lone gunman shooting happens. The worst in the world, in history. But it will not make our country worse. The safe, boring democracy will supply him with a defense lawyer as is his right. He will not get more than 21 years in prison as is the maximum extent of the law. Our democracy does not allow for enough punishment to satisfy my need for revenge, as is its intention. We will not become worse, we will be better. We lived in a land where this is possible, even easy. And we will keep living in a land where this is possible, even easy. We are open, we are free and we are together. We are vulnerable by choice. And we will keep on like that, that's how we want to live. We will not be worse because of the worst. We must be good because of the best.

I found this on another site this morning. The quote is from a young Norwegian basically paraphrasing what Prime Minister Stoltelnberg said regarding the attacks. I wanted to spread this, because I think this is the sort of message that is most needed right now.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:32 am
@LionTamerX,
Very good quote! Smile
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:26 pm
I'll say it again, it really sounds like there had to be more than one guy shooting.

Even if every shot was aimed and lethal the guy still would have had to use three magazines on an AK and if he was firing the AK or whatever on full auto, then he'd be lucky to kill ten people with 30 shots, he'd have had to change magazines nine times and I can't believe those kids would have just stood there while that was going on.
parados

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 12:50 pm
@gungasnake,
Gee.. MORON..
They were on a small island with no escape.
Quote:
Another youth, Dana Barzingi, described the massacre to state broadcaster NRK. "It was a bloodbath. There was nowhere to flee, only the water, and when people tried to swim away he just shot them."

"He kept coming," said Barzingi. "He went around and around pretending to be a rescue worker and said people should come to get help. Then he shot them."

I can't believe you are really this stupid gunga..

On second thought I do believe it. It's how your are able to survive in the real world on your own that I question.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.59 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:23:49