Are atheists being more illogical than agnostics?

Galli

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 10:32 am
Well, I would conclude that, I am an atheist and I am not doubting that there is no God or divinity, however, let's take for example that some one is able to bring up a reasonable prove of the existence of a divinity, I don't see why we should exclude this alternative;if we behave in this way we are just like the catholic, meaning, DO NOT LISTEN TO OTHER we are the only right one
Galli

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 10:50 am
@igm,
that's a very good subject and I have often thought about it. first of all, I am atheist but, if someone is capable to provide an argument reasonable of the contrary, it would be close minded refusing to listen.
I don't thing that there is some thing that would make me change my mind and I am not eager to wait for it BUT, if it should happen I don't see why reject it.
The refusal without giving the option to evaluate the subject would be just like the catholic religion that suggest you to dismiss any argument if they are not pro-religion
0 Replies

Jasper10

Sat 9 Jan, 2021 01:05 pm
@Galli,
On the question of whether God exists or not...forget definitive proof ...one way or the other...it’s a “red herring”...and always has been.
Jasper10

Sat 9 Jan, 2021 01:38 pm
@Jasper10,
Think of a fence... one sides reasoning is that one is prepared to believe that God exists (right) and the other sides reasoning is that one isn’t prepared to believe God exists (left).Neither side is in any better position if they are looking for definitive carnal proof of the existence or non existence of God for no definitive carnal proof will be given either way.They may as well swap sides.
hingehead

Sat 16 Jan, 2021 04:56 pm
@Jasper10,
That seems like sophistry to me. Deciding to believe based on no evidence is not ‘reasoning’. Entertaining the thought that God might be possible is a way more reasoned position, but that flies in the face of ‘faith’.

The atheist position of ‘until there is evidence of god’s existence I cannot have faith’ seems rational. Especially when theism has been so culturally ubiquitous, for millennia, and there’s still no evidence.

Jasper10

Sat 16 Jan, 2021 05:27 pm
@hingehead,
All anyone has is a hope that their belief systems are true because nobody can prove definitively whether God exists or not.Believing that God exists is still not enough because even the devil and his demons, if they exist would believe in God.Believing that good (1) is bad (0) and bad (0) is good (1) and therefore there’s are no morals so there are no rules so there is no God is one sided logic because good (1) is not bad (0) and bad (0) is not good (1) ...Good (1) is good (1) and bad (0) is bad (0).Good and Bad are therefore separate things..therefore there are morals,there are rules and God does exist....it could be said.Remember therefore, all you have is hope and also it IS foolish to say there is no God.There is nothing “sophistry” about the above.
solipsister

Sat 16 Jan, 2021 08:45 pm
@Jasper10,
Quote:
There is nothing “sophistry” about the above.

None dare accuse you of clever but false argument.
cicerone imposter

Sat 16 Jan, 2021 09:08 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10, Men created thousands of gods. Which god do you believe in, and why? Why did the christian god appear only 2,000 years ago, when men have roamed this planet for over 200,000 years? Our species, Homo sapiens, have only been around for about as long as a blink of an eye in terms of Earth’s history. From wiki: It’s believed that the Earth formed over 4.6 billion years ago, and the first humans evolved about 200,000 years ago in Africa.
hingehead

Sat 16 Jan, 2021 11:20 pm
@Jasper10,
So you are saying nothing can be definitively proved? If that is true then the existence or non-existence of gods seems a minor concern, ranking slightly less important than Santa Claus.
hingehead

Sat 16 Jan, 2021 11:26 pm
@Jasper10,
If this is true:
Quote:
it IS foolish to say there is no God

Then it is foolish to say:
-Alpha centauri is not the anus of a giant space goat.
-I do not have 15 arms
-Cats are the agents of satan

To name but a few examples that you can't prove are true or not.
0 Replies

hingehead

Sat 16 Jan, 2021 11:31 pm
@Jasper10,
Also, to quote a guy born 3 centuries before Christ
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d1/57/53/d1575326e6dc0027b64fbae06e046bda.jpg
Jasper10

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 01:48 am
@hingehead,
Just because one can’t prove whether God exists or doesn’t exist ...it doesn’t mean that he doesn’t exist.He might exist.I am merely pointing out that unbelieving man’s logic for justifying that he doesn’t exist is flawed.
Jasper10

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 01:55 am
@hingehead,
What has time got to do with God if he exists.?.....nothing at all.
solipsister

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 02:22 am
@Jasper10,
Quote:
What has time got to do with God if he exists.?.....nothing at all.

You say it best when you say nothing at all.

0 Replies

Jasper10

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 03:27 am
@solipsister,
Prove its false.......It could be that you are false in your statements.
Jasper10

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 03:29 am
@Jasper10,
No don’t bother we need to move on from proof don’t we.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 03:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
Come on ..do you believe everything that man tells you...the same man that has created the world around you? Man isn’t flawed then is what you are saying.
0 Replies

hingehead

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 12:07 pm
@Jasper10,
It is exactly not the same. Believing something exists without proof is not the same as not believing something exists because there is no proof.

I gave you three examples of things that have no proof, do you believe them? They have as much validity/proof as the god ‘theory’.
hingehead

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 12:10 pm
@Jasper10,
But it does. Something that has no proof of existence and has no impact on the world takes up so much of your brain workings. Why the fascination for this particular unprovable idea when there are so many to choose from?
0 Replies

Jasper10

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 12:48 pm
@hingehead,
I hope that God exists.....All anyone has is a hope that God exists or doesn’t exist.