Are atheists being more illogical than agnostics?

igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 01:56 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

This shouldn't even be a question of logic. It is simply a conclusion drawn by examination of the evidence.
The evidence we have available is, simply put, the Universe.
The atheist views the evidence and concludes there is insufficient indication of creation.
The theist views the evidence and concludes, creation.

Religious beliefs are extraneous to philosophical examination of god belief.

It is not at all illogical to draw conclusions based on interpretation of the evidence.
The agnostic simply chooses not to draw a conclusion, that's no great feat of logic.

Sounds like a quite good argument thanks for you comments. I'm sure its one opinon among many though. Some would say it was illogical to believe in something that can't be proved or disproved. I don't think you've proved that it can't be defined in that way. Again the title is a question not my opinion.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 01:56 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's teapots, not elephants, and they're in orbit, not flying.

Correct!
izzythepush

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 01:58 pm
@igm,
Thank you, I knew someone was going to bring it up. I didn't think it would be me.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 01:58 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Thank you, I knew someone was going to bring it up. I didn't think it would be me.

Lol!
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:14 pm
@Krumple,
Hey, asshole, you really are as bad as igm. I provided several definitions of atheist from reliable external sources. This is not MY definition of atheist, it is a consensus defintion by a great many people, most of whom i suspect are a lot brighter than you are. You have willfully ignored the evidence i provided just as igm did. Is that some kind of entrée to the so-called philosophers club? That you ignore the evidence provided by your interlocutor in order to continue to argue your unsubstantiated point?

Once again, the definition of atheist is not just mine--and i've provided the evidence of that. Try reading the post in which i provided it, and then try something new and different--intellectual honesty.
wayne

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:21 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Some would say it was illogical to believe in something that can't be proved or disproved.

I already pointed out that belief is philosophically extraneous to whether or not the original conclusion is logical.
The theistic belief system is based upon the conclusion that the universe is a creation.
If you are saying it's illogical to conclude the universe as a creation, I'd like to know why.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:39 pm
@Setanta,

I don't think it did. I'm waiting on your reasoning but I'm not swayed by what I've seen so far. You do know the title is a question don't you?
0 Replies

igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:45 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

Quote:
Some would say it was illogical to believe in something that can't be proved or disproved.

I already pointed out that belief is philosophically extraneous to whether or not the original conclusion is logical.
The theistic belief system is based upon the conclusion that the universe is a creation.
If you are saying it's illogical to conclude the universe as a creation, I'd like to know why.

Illogical in the sense that logic cannot be applied to the solving of the problem.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:48 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Hey, asshole, you really are as bad as igm. I provided several definitions of atheist from reliable external sources. This is not MY definition of atheist, it is a consensus defintion by a great many people, most of whom i suspect are a lot brighter than you are. You have willfully ignored the evidence i provided just as igm did. Is that some kind of entrée to the so-called philosophers club? That you ignore the evidence provided by your interlocutor in order to continue to argue your unsubstantiated point?

Once again, the definition of atheist is not just mine--and i've provided the evidence of that. Try reading the post in which i provided it, and then try something new and different--intellectual honesty.

I've had a look take your pick or provide other references to your posts.

Setanta wrote:

We really didn't need this witless discussion to be resurrected.
I don't give a rat's ass about the question of whether or not there is a god, therefore i am without god.
No, one is not obliged to refute theism in order to be an atheist,
I lead off with a definition of atheist, and you rejected it
There are two in-use definitions of the word 'atheist':
A person who lacks belief in a god or gods
A person who believes that no god or gods exist.
It is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can produce evidence which logically justifies that certainty. That is what Agnosticism asserts; and, in my opinion, it is all that is essential to Agnosticism. ...
atheists and theists both can be agnostics, to the extent that they claim to be able or unable to demonstrate the proposition of the existence of god.
You're wrong, i demonstrated it, and i have nothing further to do here.

We must have perceived your evidence differently it is not conclusive.
0 Replies

Thomas

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 02:58 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
Ok thanks! So are you saying not all atheist believe there definitely isn't a God?

I agree with Setanta: The term "atheism" means "without god". People can be without god for all kinds of reasons. One of them is that the existence of any gods is too low too improbable to bother with---just as the existence of flying pigs, or of unicorns, or of Russell's teapot is too improbable to bother with. That doesn't mean the estimated probability has to be zero.

igm wrote:
If they do believe there isn't a God are you saying that some do that for illogical reasons?

I have no positive evidence that they do. But there are millions of atheists out there. At least some of them are likely to be dumb and illogical. In this sense, I think it quite likely that some atheists came to disbelieve in gods through illogical thinking.
wayne

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:11 pm
@igm,
Logic is a means by which we arrive at a conclusion. We wouldn't get anywhere if we did not draw conclusions from logic.
Electrical theory is still a theory after all.

Atheists are not any more illogical than agnostics.
As in the case of pure logic, we simply conclude that you can always add one more, and get on with our business.

The atheist concludes that a creator is not necessary to the existence of the universe, and gets on with the business of life.
There is nothing, whatsoever, illogical about that.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:12 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

I agree with Setanta: The term "atheism" means "without god". People can be without god for all kinds of reason. One of them is that the existence of any gods is too low too improbable to bother with---just as the existence of flying pigs, or of unicorns, or of Russell's teapot is too improbable to bother with. That doesn't mean the estimated probability has to be zero.

But does that reflect the real state of affairs better than the agnostic position. I'd say if it did it is a mightly close call. So why the massive defence of it on sites like this?

igm wrote:
If they do believe there isn't a God are you saying that some do that for illogical reasons?

Thomas wrote:

I have no positive evidence that they do. But there are millions of atheists out there. At least some of them are likely to be dumb and illogical. In this sense, I think it quite likely that some atheists came to disbelieve in gods through illogical thinking.

That seems reasonable. I'm sure many use the term and defend it without really knowing what they are defending.
igm

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:22 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

Logic is a means by which we arrive at a conclusion. We wouldn't get anywhere if we did not draw conclusions from logic.
Electrical theory is still a theory after all.

Atheists are not any more illogical than agnostics.
As in the case of pure logic, we simply conclude that you can always add one more, and get on with our business.

The atheist concludes that a creator is not necessary to the existence of the universe, and gets on with the business of life.
There is nothing, whatsoever, illogical about that.

How do they come to that conclusion when there is no evidence either way? Why do many defend their position as if it meant something when they should be just 'getting on with the business of life'? Do they have logical reasons for not being agnostics? It seems that if you were an agnostic then the business of life would be easier because you have no positon to defend.
fresco

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:30 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Was it about whether it was more logical to hold the atheist view though?

Smile
You still don't get it. Logic has no more to do with rationalities, than mathematics can be used to decide between "the merits" of different co-ordinate systems.

To quote Niels Bohr on describing Quantum Mechanics. to sceptics...
Quote:
“No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical.”

...bearing in mind that the very technology of the computer on which you are reading this is based on QM paradigms!

wayne

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:36 pm
@igm,
Then why the question in the first place?
I'm beginning to think you lack a complete understanding of what logic is.

Logic is a thinking tool, it is based on the knowledge of what has gone before.
There is good logic and bad logic, there is logic based on faulty information.
There are logical conclusions that turn out to be wrong.
Your logic has led you to conclude that the existence of a creator cannot be proven or disproven.
If irrefutable evidence of god arises tomorrow, does that make you illogical?
Thomas

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:42 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
But does that reflect the real state of affairs better than the agnostic position.

There is no logical contradiction in being an agnostic and an atheist at the same time. Why are you talking about the two as if they were warring political parties?
Krumple

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:51 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
But why waist energy holding on to an opinion that can't be proved or disproved? Isn't it a waist of precious time and energy? Why not just say it's unknowable and move on? The defence of it on sites like this seems to me to be difficult to understand.

It is nothing different than someone asking me if I think gremlins exist or the Easter bunny or if I think unicorns exist. God is in the same box as every mythological creature or being. Why? Because there is no supporting basis for their existence so they are mythological. The only energy I waste is in reminding god believers that they have absolutely no basis for their belief, but there is a reason why they need to be reminded of that. Beliefs effect behavior and often times that behavior is misguided and creates problems in society. So it needs to be corrected or the problems just keep ensuing.
Krumple

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:53 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Krumple wrote:

The likelihood that gods exist is equal to the likelihood that flying pink elephants exist.

It's teapots, not elephants, and they're in orbit, not flying.

The only problem with the teapot argument is that it is possible that you could have a teapot orbiting the earth. It can technically happen but the likelihood of a flying pink elephant is close to none.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:54 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

One thing atheists say

did you forget to put a 'some' in there, or do you think all atheists have the same viewpoint?

Krumple

Wed 20 Jul, 2011 03:58 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
Ok thanks! So are you saying not all atheist believe there definitely isn't a God? If they do believe there isn't a God are you saying that some do that for illogical reasons?

There are different types of atheists. There are agnostic-atheists but they tend to be called weak atheists. Their position is that there could potentially be gods that exist however; there is no evidence so far so they do not believe gods exist.

Then there are the strong atheists whom hold the position that there are no gods. They are not talking from a position of knowing there are no gods but instead they hold onto the probability that no gods exist. It is so unlikely that gods exist they hold a strong position that there are no gods.

Are they certain? No! But you can't be certain about anything 100%. There is nothing at all you can be 100% certain of. So talking about certainty is silly.