Since Britain already lowercases "internet" - should USA follow suit?

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 11:56 pm
Hi. I'm person who wrote an oped commentary recently in the CSMonitor website about lowercasing the word internet in all USA newspapers beginning ...tomorrow. Smile. I am curious, what's your opinion, pro or con, on lowercasing internet in newspapers and magazines and professional news websites? yes no? The UK already does this, and has done so for 15 years. Britain knows something?

For blogs and emails, style is up to you, sure, but in real print or online websites, there need to be standards, and the current USA standard for internet is and has been for 40 years CAPS....but in the UK it has been for 20 years lowercase. Do they know something we don't know about the internet?

This will only change if and when two MEN make up their minds and they are Phil Corbett who controls the NYT copy desk and Ted Anthony who controls the AP copy desk. Until these guys move, nothing will change. you can write to them at [email protected] and [email protected]

I have no agenda, and I have no dog in this fight, and this is not even my battle. Joseph Turow at UPenn started this off in 2002, and Eric Zorn at the Chicago Tribune and many others have been waging this battle for years. To no avail. So I am doing quiet backroom PR work pro bono on this. Your POV welcome, sure.

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:18 am
@dannybloom,
http://able2know.org/topic/174608-1
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:32 am
@dannybloom,
Do you really believe that you can convince people in the states to do something just because the brits are doing it?
dannybloom

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:12 pm
@thack45,
RE: "Do you really believe that you can convince people in the states to do something just because the brits are doing it? "

yes, i do believe that. sure, why not. sometimes the Brits are right. in this case, they are. sometimes they are wrong. USA is not always right. i learned that living overseas for 20 years. America is not the center of the world and the Christian"God" is not the supreme god...there are many gods and all of them are cool. USA grow up. SMILE
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:00 am
Shabby little England . . . things like this are important to so many of you, aren't they?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:05 am
@dannybloom,
Sure. Sometimes the Brits are right. So is a clock that's stopped - sometimes.

Actually, I do favor the lower case. After all, a distinct percentage of internet users don't use caps or punctuation, anyway. Or simply unpunctuated ALL CAPS, probably because they don't want to show ignorance of the standard rules.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:35 pm
What about the interweb?
roger

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 07:45 pm
@Setanta,
Wouldn't that be InterWeb?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 08:34 pm
@dannybloom,
There's no "wrong" or "right" about this - it's all subjective and actually why does anyone give a ****? Who cares?? And why do you care?? It's just a word!! Have you seen the way omsigDavid spells? You'd get your boxers in a right twist there.

Let it go, dannybloom... live your own life and get this behind you. You, too, can have a real life, one with great food, wonderful friends, a fabulous job, a decent car, and a partner who worships you. Please, I beg, beg, BEG of you - leave this alone and move on!
dannybloom

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:35 pm
@Mame,
INTERNET SHOULD BE LOWERCASED NOW! TODAY! YESTERDAY!

By Danny ''My Middle Name is Patience'' Bloom (1949-2032)

Just can't let go until (lower) case is solved. SMILE! but yeh, everyone, i got a sense of humour on this too! Sure, time to move on. After we win in court! KIDDING!

July 18, 2011

Back in 2004, Tony Long told readers of Wired magazine's website that "effective with this sentence, Wired News will no longercapitalize the "I" in internet."

He also informed them, also in that 2004 note, that "at the same time,Web becomes web and Net becomes net."

Why did he go out on a limb in 2004 on lowercasing internet? Thesimple answer was then -- and is now, in 2011 -- because there wasand is no earthly reason to capitalize the word, he says today, 8 years later.

True believers, of course, are fond of capitalizing words, whetherthey be marketers or political junkies or, in this case, techies. IfIt's Capitalized, It Must Be Important.

Long's decision on lowerccasing internet back in 2004 when he was WiredNews' copy chief the decision wasn't made lightly,and he believes today that he was right then, and even more so some eight yearslater.

Still, most newspapers and news websites in America stillcapitalize the word.

At the time, Long felt strongly that a change in Wired News' house stylewas necessary to put into perspective what the internet was then andis even more so now: just another medium for delivering and receivinginformation. That it transformed human communication is beyonddispute. But no more so than moveable type did in its day. Or theradio. Or television. And American newspapereditors once capitalized Radio and Television.

Long felt then and feels even more so today that by lowercasinginternet, Wired News was simply giving the medium its proper due. Andyet in the ensuing years, not much has changed on this side of theAtlantic. In Britain, yes, internet is routinely written inthe lowercase form. Do the Brits know something about the internetthat we don't know? Or are American copyeditors just beingstubborn?

Some editors, of course, still have mixed feelings about this issue,but many are now leaning towards -- but not committed to --lowercasing internet. Ask editors at the New York Times and AP and even
here at CSM? Will there be a new press release on this issue soon?

American blogger Tom Blumer makes sense when he says he contemplateslowercasing the word: "Is it a place (the big web in the sky)? Notreally. Is it a specific entity? Again not really."

On the other hand, Tony Long realizes that some people still feel that theinternet is a specific network and therefore deserves a capital.He says he's with the Brits on this: it's time to go lowercase.

Could it be that the American media is holding out against lowercasingthe Internet because they just don’t want to be seen as downgrading AlGore’s invention, as Blumer quipped on his blog the other day?

In the end, everyone knows know that things are trending down and thehandwriting is on the wall on this issue. Tony Long was right then and he's
right now.

---------------------
It should be just the 'internet' now

OPED commentary

By Tony Long

San Francisco -- Back in 2004, I told readers of Wired magazine's
website that "effective with this sentence, Wired News will no longer
capitalize the "I" in internet."

I also informed them, also in that 2004 note, that "at the same time,
Web becomes web and Net becomes net."

Why did I got out on a limb in 2004 on lowercasing internet? The
simple answer was then -- and is now, in 2011 -- because there was
and is no earthly reason to capitalize the word.

True believers, of course, are fond of capitalizing words, whether
they be marketers or political junkies or, in this case, techies. If
It's Capitalized, It Must Be Important.

My decision on lowerccasing internet back in 2004 when I was Wired
News' copy chief the decision wasn't made lightly,
and I believe that I was right, and even more right some eight years
later. Still, most newspapers and news websites in America still
capitalize the word.

At the time, I felt strongly that a change in Wired News' house style
was necessary to put into perspective what the internet was then and
is even more so now: just another medium for delivering and receiving
information. That it transformed human communication is beyond
dispute. But no more so than moveable type did in its day. Or the
radio. Or television. And American newspaper
editors once capitalized Radio and Television.

I felt then and I feel even more so today that by lowercasing
internet, Wired News was simply giving the medium its proper due.And
yet in the ensuing years, not much has changed on this side of the
Atlantic. In Britain, yes, internet is routinely written in
the lowercase form. Do the Brits know something about the internet
that we don't know? Or are American copyeditors just being
stubborn.

Some editors, of course, still have mixed feelings about this issue,
but many are now leaning towards -- but not committed to --
lowercasing internet.

American blogger Tom Blumer makes sense when he contemplates
lowercasing the word: "Is it a place (the big web in the sky)? Not
really. Is it a specific entity? Again not really."

On the other hand, I realize that some people still feel that the
internet is a specific network and therefore deserves a capital.
I'm with the Brits on this: it's time to go lowercase.

Could it be that the American media is holding out against lowercasing
the Internet because they just don’t want to be seen as downgrading Al
Gore’s invention, as Blumer quipped on his blog?

In the end, everyone knows know that things are trending down and the
handwriting is on the wall on this issue.

----

Tom Long is a former copy desk chief at Wired News
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:54 pm
@dannybloom,
My, my, my . . . you really are impressed with yourself, aren't you?
Mame

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 04:40 am
@Setanta,
So much time spent on such a triviality.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 04:57 am
@Mame,
Yeah, but if you check it out, this guy is really, really important . . . ya know?
Mame

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2011 05:01 am
@Setanta,
Well, I know that HE thinks so Smile
0 Replies

dannybloom

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2011 09:33 pm
@dannybloom,
For the record, in this first post above here i made a big mistake and i hereby apologize to Ted Anthony and the Associated Press. Contrary to what I mistakenly wrote earlier this year, Mr Anthony does not “control” the AP’s “copy desk,” nor does he have any responsibility for or aegis over the decision-making process that would govern lowercasing of the word ''internet.''

In addition, same holds true for Mr Corbett at the New York Times. He does not control anything there. Also, the two emails that i gave out are wrong and were not meant to be public, so i hope the editors here will delete the two incorrect emails, if it is not too late.

Again, I apologize for incorrectly stating the facts.

Signed. Dan Bloom
0 Replies