Stereotyping?

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:11 pm
ossobuco wrote:

On alcoholism... I have read that some populations have trouble metabolizing alcohol. If the genetic marker regarding alcohol metabolism is true, I don't know if that does or doesn't relate to alcoholism prevalence in that population..

Apparently that's common in the Japanese population. But as far as I know, it doesn't relate to alcoholism, it just means they get drunk easier.

Which means I could very well have Japanese blood in me, 'cause I get drunk ridiculously easily.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:31 pm
Right, Wilso, the two might not relate at all or only on an ordinary basis. My own view tends toward blaming a culture of getting swacked as opposed to a culture of a mild apperitivo, re inculcated behavior. I know, I know, I go on about admiring italians, but - in fact - I am multiply ignorant of celebrations and rituals in the myriad italian cultures that make up just a region.

All I know is they might have been saved for the wrong reason, that is Vanity, as to be drunk in italy is to have brutto figura, that is, ugliness, ugliness around your home and your town, all very very bad. Even this I say in conjecture, as I am not italian, just interested in their culture.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:42 pm
What I remember reading is that there can be a 'tendency' toward alcoholism in families. That doesn't make it automatically hereditary.

American Indians live in some of the poorest regions in the US, especially Pine Ridge. No wonder alcoholism is prevalent.

The Irish lived in desperate poverty for so long that alcoholism became a sort of ritual.

I wonder if a more accurate study would be one on poverty and its results regarding alcoholism and drug use. I doubt ethnicity has much to do with it.

BTW, it has become known on a2k that I am a sugar junky. My ethnic background is English, Irish, Dutch, German, Welsh and French. Do mongrels have a tendency to have sugar cravings??
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:54 pm
I do remember hearing stuff, re genes. But I'd be happy to chuck it, trust me.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 05:31 am
Diane, funnnnneeeeee. It's probably better to be a mongrel in this world of ersatz royalty. Most mongrels are survivors. Perhaps George W. should be the first president to go to the moon, and then on to mars Smile

Osso, you are priceless. So chuck it, already.

The media, of course, reinforces our notion of stereotyping, and is continually creating false demands. All little girls like barbies. I'll bet if a study was done on that, we might be totally surprised by the percentages.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 07:56 am
The song is wrong. Tolerance has to be taught; stereotyping is innate. People made snap judgments of a stranger based on appearance which indicated what tribe he/she was from. You had to know whether the tribe was hostile or friendly (perhaps due to blood or marriage ties).

Even today, people who dress and look like you can be expected to adhere to the same standards of behavior and are therefore "trustworthy." You may not know what to expect from someone whose appearance is different, thus indicating membership in a group or culture of which you have little experience, or negative experiences. My husband learned to be wary of blacks when he went to college in a large city where groups of blacks harassed them often enough to be seen as a threat. Of course he does not think that all black men are muggers, but blacks in cities are statistically more likely to commit violent crimes. He does not apply that stereotype to blacks in our small community.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:02 am
Yes, alcoholism has a genetic component.

Quote:
Genetic Influences on Alcohol Drinking and Alcoholism
"We have identified two genes that protect against heavy drinking, and these are particularly prevalent among Asians," Li says. "We have shown that Native Americans, who have a high rate of alcoholism, do not have these protective genes. The one that is particularly effective is a mutation of the gene for the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase, which plays a major role in metabolizing alcohol. The mutation is found very frequently in Chinese and Japanese populations but is less common among other Asian groups, including Koreans, the Malayo-Polynesian group, and others native to the Pacific Rim. "We've also looked at Euro-Americans, Native Americans, and Eskimos, and they don't have that gene mutation," says Li. Thus, incidentally, the study of genetic mutations and alcoholism links native North-American populations to central Asian ancestors, not to those from China and Japan.

Quote:
Serotonin Transporter Gene Shown to Influence College Drinking Habits
The researchers found that the students who carried two copies of the short version of 5-HTT were more likely to report troublesome drinking patterns. Dr. DePetrillo says, "Our findings reveal a significant association of the serotonin transporter promoter polymorphism with increased alcohol consumption behavior in the students that we studied. Taken together with other research, this finding suggests that genetically mediated differences in serotonergic response play an important role in mediating patterns of alcohol intake." The students with two copies of the short form of the gene engaged more frequently in binge drinking, drank more often to get drunk, and consumed more alcoholic drinks per occasion than did students with the other genotypes.

Quote:
The Genetics of Alcoholism
Studies in recent years have confirmed that identical twins, who share the same genes, are about twice as likely as fraternal twins, who share on average 50 percent of their genes, to resemble each other in terms of the presence of alcoholism. Recent research also reports that 50 to 60 percent of the risk for alcoholism is genetically determined, for both men and women (2-5). Genes alone do not preordain that someone will be alcoholic; features in the environment along with gene-environment interactions account for the remainder of the risk.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:13 am
Re: Stereotyping?
Letty wrote:
Does it have some basis in fact, somewhat like a legend?

Typical examples:

American Indians and the Irish are prone to alcoholism
Blacks can dance
Brits are snobs
Italians and French are great lovers
Americans only care about money.
All good Jazz musicians are men.

I have posted this because of a preconceived idea that I had about a couple of A2Kers.

I cannot speak to the rest of this stuff-- but there is no doubt that Italians are great lovers.

But I am a mature person, and when people accuse me of that, I try to ignore it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:30 am
Why, hello, Terry. Wish that you had said that in poetry instead of the wrong song theme. <smile> That was a very well put together presentation. Thanks.

Upon my word. Frank is Italian, and here I thought that all Italians looked alike. Bet you make a mean pasta, too.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:32 am
White men can't jump ?????????
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:51 am
Right, Husker, nor can they dance. lol

Another observation about identical twins, especially those separated at birth. Should one develop schizophrenia, the other, although raised in an entirely different environment, develops it at a percentage in the high 90's. Of course, that is from the behaviorist point of view, but it's a pretty sound case for nature.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:57 am
Letty wrote:
Right, Husker, nor can they dance. lol

Hey! wait a sec.! I'm like Saturday Night Fever - John T. ! You saying my dancing is only skin deep? :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 02:14 pm
Husker, Take two aspirin and call the dance doctor in the morning.

Another stereotyping that has bent the box in the wrong way is that which standardized tests do to children. Perhaps, in the beginning, it was designed for placement that could be advantageous, but now, it has crushed the creative.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 02:24 pm
Ossobuco, we introduced alcohol to some Native Americans (North America) but not others (Central and South America).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 01:09 pm
acquiunk, Osso is recovering from eye surgery. Just found it out.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 12:19 pm
just thought i'd throw in a tardy comment here;

stereotyping is a survival mechanism, stemming from ancient times, allowing 'snap' decisions that might turn out to be 'life saving'.
Judging 'others' from a menu of generalities allowed somewhat 'instinctive' defensive reactions to instigate fight or flight responses without a lengthy thought out consideration based upon proper evidence.

As with most things from the distant past, the method has 'hung around' long beyond it's suitability, now causing more negative results due to the lack of discernment involved in such a 'blunt' descision making tool for a modern complex society!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2004 12:29 pm
Well, hey, Toronto. I was a wee bit concerned about you.

Loved that fight or flight comment, and I agree with you.
There is a theory concerning the fear component.

If a man in confronted by a bear, he may either fight or flee. The theory postulated that if he faces the bear, he will overcome the fear. If not, and runs, the fear will stalk him. Makes a good deal of sense with the stereotyping tradition, too.

Thanks, Bo.
0 Replies