cum impetu inœstimable =?

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 03:00 am

Context:

“Machines for navigating are possible without rowers, so that great ships suited to river or ocean, guided by one man, may be borne with greater speed than if they were full of men. Likewise cars may be made so that without a draught animal they may be moved cum impetu inœstimable, as we deem the scythed chariots to have been from which antiquity fought. And flying machines are possible, so that a man may sit in the middle turning some device by which artificial wings may beat the air in the manner of a flying bird.”

More:

http://www.bartleby.com/86/49.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 943 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 04:09 am
Possibly, you have a corrupt copy of Mr. Wells' essay. Cum impetu inaestimabili, in Latin, means at an inestimable speed--at a speed which cannot be estimated.
Setanta

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 04:12 am
By the way, i'm not a Latin scholar. If George shows up, he can set us straight.
George

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 08:40 am
@Setanta,
I agree with Setanta.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 01:14 pm
@Setanta,
It looks like a typo. It is shown as cum impetu inaestimabili in a number of quotations of the Roger Bacon passage I found, as well as in my printed copy of the HG Wells work.

0 Replies