The Kvetch Thread

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 03:41 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

So, are your toes nice and clean now?

and we all just hope they didn't get scalded.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 04:21 pm
@dlowan,
I've always suspected that no good would come from all your cleaning.

How's dem bunny toes? Not boined, I hope.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 04:46 pm
Hoping Deb's toes aren't burned. Where are you, bunny?

Speaking of cleaning.

I look around my apartment, and it looks like a hoarder lives here. Not a hoarder. Just slobby and sickly. Piles have formed. Everything is dusty. I finished officially resting and decided to take some action. Cleaned off one surface. Gathering up recyclables. Going through some piles.

Sneezing like crazy. And last night I thought I was having an asthma attack.

Yes, I could hire someone to clean (if I had the money, which I don't), but cleaning is not possible until the sorting and tidying is done. Can't do it if it makes me sick.

Sulking and cogitating.

Gonna try wearing a mask. I hate dem masks. It's hard to breathe, and they make me sweat. Life is sometimes very complicated.

Gonna go make a pot roast.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 01:33 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

So, are your toes nice and clean now?

No...but they were damned sore for a few hours!
Eva

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 11:02 pm
@dlowan,
I imagine so!

The last time I scalded myself was when I tried melting ice on my front steps by pouring almost-boiling water on them. (Didn't want to use salt or kitty litter because of the flower bulbs planted next to the steps. Really bright, huh?) I didn't burn my toes, though...it was my hands. They were red for about a week.

Are your feet OK now?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2012 11:05 pm
@Eva,
Sympathy to the hot water tosser..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2012 12:46 am
@Eva,

My feet are very well thank you. My left index finger, however, is quite sore from where Viola bit it full on when she failed to notice it was attached to the toy she was savaging.

I had always found people who were nervous of being bitten or scratched by cats hilarious......I now have more respect for their ability to cause serious injury. Clearly no cat I have ever handled, no matter how panicked, has ever really bitten me.....and of course Viola stopped biting when I jumped and yelled.

0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2012 03:03 pm
So I waited a mere three and a half hours at the hospital to see my throat docs. (Good report--not the kvetch.)

Why oh why do people come to a public hospital with their children and not bring anything for the kids to do????!!! They gotta know it's a long wait. They gotta know the kid is gonna get bored and restless and cranky and screamy and runny.

And there I am. Innocent moi. Surrounded by bored, restless, cranky, screamy, runny kids; people conversing loudly in Spanish, and people talking on their cell phones even more loudly in Mandarin.

I was not cut out for this kind of thing.

Hey, kids and adults. Shut the **** up!

Sturgis

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 02:07 pm
@Roberta,
I should hook you up with the crazy lady down the hall from here who has taken to making all her calls in the hallway, usually it seems right outside my door. I have however finally adjusted to the fact that she wears the loudest heeled shoes on the planet, figure she has the right to wear something on her feet.
Roberta

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2012 04:39 pm
@Sturgis,
You adjusted to loud heels? I refer to loud heels as justifiable homicide.

Snarl.

As for the calls in the hallway, I reiterate: STFU.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 01:20 am
I had dinner out last night. It started at 7 p.m. I had dinner out earlier tonight. It started at 5 p.m.

I usually have breakfast at 8 p.m. What's with this crack-of-dawn eating?

I usually go to sleep at around 7 a.m. Early dinner creates a very long stretch without food. I've demolished everything snackable. Shoulda just had another meal.

This "normal" business is from hunger (you should pardon the expression).

Sturgis

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 09:10 am
@Roberta,
Wait, you mean to say you're eating? I have days where I literally have to remind myself to eat. Of course once I start, it can become an unending excursion into gluttonous behavior. Late yesterday, I finally ate and was greatly disappointed. My egg and cheese sambwitch wasn't what I'd hoped for....and all I hoped for was moderately decent.

In revolt, I ate my Os and Oats (a generic Cheerios) this morning without any juice. (oddly, orange juice on certain cereals makes for an exciting experience...and yet I wonder why I keep having digestive mishaps).

Roberta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 03:58 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis, I haven't had much appetite lately. But if I cook, I'll eat. And if I go to a restaurant, I'll eat. I have doggie bags from both places. I'll be eating without cooking for a while.

What the hell kind of weather is this for the end of January? Sixty steenkin' degrees today. I had to get out my lighter jacket, which I made the mistake of hanging up in the closet.

Too hot. Hey, super. Turn off the steam.
Diane

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 04:49 pm
@Roberta,
It has been in the low 50's and high 40's here, but the night time temps have been in the 20's, which isn't really unusual for hte high desert. What bothrs me is the wind, which intensifies the cold, making life outside miserable.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 05:05 pm
On a digressive, antikvetch note:
Happy National Chocolate Cake Day everyone!
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Food/Stir-It-Up/2012/0127/Molten-lava-cake-for-National-Chocolate-Cake-Day

Well, it could be a kvetching item if one is deathly allergic to chocolate. Confused
Roberta

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2012 11:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsar, Isn't every day chocolate cake day? I had no idea a special day was necessary. IMO any day you eat chocolate cake is chocolate cake day. I have a brownie waiting for me. Does that count as chocolate cake?
Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 03:42 pm
@Roberta,
Agreed it's always chocolate cake day. As for brownies, well to be sure that it can considered be considered as a cake or not, I will have to sample it myself (although I have a feeling it's long gone by now).
Roberta

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 04:33 pm
@Sturgis,
Not all that long gone. Being digested, I suspect. It was good. I have high standards for brownies. Sampled many. Too cakey. Too dry. Too nutty. Too something. These are good. Not cheap, but good.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 01:17 am
I posted the following on the "What Made You Smile Today?" thread:

I had dinner with my cousin last week. During the course of the conversation, I mentioned that my VCR is broken. During another part of the conversation, I mentioned that I wished I had headphones for the tv.

Two packages arrived today. A VCR/CD player and wireless headphones. What a good kid my cousin is.

Why has this turned up on the kvetch thread? Cuz I gotta hook this stuff up. Not one of my strong suits. I feel my eyes glazing over as I type.

If you read about an explosion on the upper east side of Manhattan, that's me hooking up the VCR.

Sigh.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2012 01:26 am
@Roberta,
How old is your TV? Do you need a bomb squad to wire up the new VCR/DVD player? In theory, it shouldn't be too difficult if you have the correct wire and a tv with the mostly standardized DVD connection. Remember the white plug goes into the white holes, the red plug into the red holes, and the yellow plug into the yellow holes. That's two audio connections and one video connection.