The Kvetch Thread

Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 02:26 pm
I decided to resume my volunteer work--tutoring ESL. I told the organization I work for that I'm not good with beginners. I'm better with people who want to learn the nuances of English.

I went today. I have two students. One from Korea, the other from China. What does this mean? It means that neither one of them can pronounce my first name. Not a big kvetch here. More like a kv.

Neither one of them speaks English well. One barely speaks it at all. I'm gonna try to be a good tutor, but why ask me what I want if I ain't gonna get it? This is a kve.

Here comes the KVETCH.

The U.N. General Assmebly is in session. I couldn't get home. Well not true. I'm home. But it took a very long time and cost a lot of money. Police everywhere. Black limos everywhere. Traffic not moving. This happened to me once before with the f'ing General Assembly. Now every time I go out, I gotta check the agenda at the U.N.? I don't have my hands full already? I gotta to to the hospital on Wednesday. It is downtown and east. UN turf. The General Assembly had better not be in session. I'm gonna check google. If it is, I'm renting a steenkin' helicopter.

Edit: I just checked. I usually go out maybe once a week. This week I gotta go out three times. The General Assembly will be in session all steekin' week. Are helicopters expensive?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2011 05:02 pm
Some days are bigger kvetch days than others. This is one of the bigger ones.

When I work at the computer, I sit on a chair that was around when I was an infant. Yes, the chair is well over sixty years old. It's always been very comfortable. Now the leather covering the seat is gone. And the stuffing that was under the leather is gone. It still feels comfortable when I sit on it, but I think it's probably not good for me to sit on it. My legs and back are not holding up well. I can't afford another chair. I think I'm gonna have to sit on one of the dining room chairs.

Phooey. Why can't the thinks we have last as long as we do?

This is me (a few years ago), and that's the chair:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz72/Riman18/Meonredchair.jpg
dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 03:55 am
@Roberta,
Oy abruch!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 09:08 am
@Roberta,
Roberta- I have gotten some great stuff from Goodwill for next to nothing. Also, I don't know what is doing in your neck of the woods, but around here, people have furnished entire homes through garage and estate sales.

Take it from someone who knows, a comfortable, supportive chair can make a huge difference in a person's life.
Roberta

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 03:58 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks, Phoenix. I'm considering it. Just have to figure out how to get it home.

I have to start by saying that in Noo Yawk, we call a Fudgesicle a Fudgicle. Why? Dunno. That's what we call it.

So I'm out of Fudgicles. (Oh the horror.) I go to the supermarket to get a new supply. Nothing like a Fudgicle. And they don't got Fudgicles. They got some alien looking thing called a Fudge Bar. Feh, pooh. Now I can't even have a Fudgicle when I want one? Sighing big time.

JPB

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 04:00 pm
@Roberta,
What a great picture!
Roberta

Reply Tue 20 Sep, 2011 04:20 pm
@JPB,
Glad you like it. I took it off this thread:

http://able2know.org/topic/157944-1

I love that thread. I go back a lot. Love looking at the pictures.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 07:32 am
@Roberta,
First they stop stocking the proper size soda in your brand and now the Fudgicle travesty. Supermarkets just ain't what they used to be.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 08:17 am
@Sturgis,
Ever try to get caffeine free, diet beverages in a fast food joint? I would say that maybe 10% of these places have such a product.

So, in my case, I have a choice of either ingesting too many calories, or having one of my infamous dizzy spells.

Recently, I have taken to ordering water with my greasy hamburger, but it really is not just the same.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 08:38 am
@Phoenix32890,
My mother used to have similar trouble with that. She was a diabetic, and needed the sugar free. Workers behind counters would argue that the regular Pepsi or Colas were safe, and that a Sprite would be her best bet if she didn't want sugar.

Really? A Sprite? Aren't they aware there's sugar/sweetners in Sprite? Apparently not.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 09:00 am
@Sturgis,
I have often seen Diet Pepsi or
Coke, but not caffeine free. A very few places have Diet Sprite.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2011 11:26 am
@Phoenix32890,
Sturgis, The one under my building is failing me right and left. Also left and right. I wouldn't be at all surprised if other supermarkets several blocks away had everything I want. So near and yet so far. Sigh.

Phoenix, Why in the world would I want a caffeine free diet beverage. Lest you forgot, I'm the one who eats sour cream all the time. However, I'm sympathetic to your plight. The thought of a greasy hamburger with water just doesn't cut it. It's always something.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 05:39 pm
I've been dealing with big problems lately. Doozies. Realized that I haven't had a good kvetch in a while.

Every time I play a hidden object game, my right ear hurts. If I don't stop playing (and I usually don't), the whole right side of my head hurts. I stop playing, and the pain goes away. What the hell is that?

Now that I'm talking about it, the pain is still with me. To hell with it.

Sometimes I go out once a week. Sometimes not at all. This week I had to go somewhere four days out of five. I'm pooped. BTW, only one of my four excursions was enjoyable--more or less, give or take.

I had a delivery today from FreshDirect. I called and asked that the delivery be at the later end of the range--in case I wasn't back from one of my unpleasant excursions in time. He came early. I was here. I usually want them to come early; they come late. It's a steenkin' conspiracy.

I ordered too much of a couple of things. Phooey. My one luxury item: steak. I figure I should eat while the eating is good.

Every night when I'm watching television, I check out the program guide to see what's on the following night. Never once do I remember. Why do I keep doing this? Idle curiosity? Self-imposed torture? Quien sabe?

I had a physical earlier this week at another of my unpleasant appointments. I shrunk another steenkin' half an inch. Pretty soon, I'll just disappear. Then all this other crap won't matter.

C'est tout.

dlowan

Reply Fri 30 Sep, 2011 09:43 pm
@Roberta,
Now THAT was a kvetch!

Mine is relatively weeny.

I was promised that my new iPhone would be delivered today before 12.00

It's now 1.06, so I rang optus.

It takes half an hour or so to FIND a number to ring...then I see it. Sales support. I ring it and go through a million press this press that until I am fuming. Then the voice says the department is closed. It SAYS on the website that it's open until 7.00 pm on saturdays. I should expect the website to be accurate?

I ring elsewhere hoping their computer can access info. They can see a new phone is coming but there's no delivery info. I ask if I can find out who the courier is....no.

They say keep waiting, it must be coming if I was told it was.

Now, I have a social engagement at two pm that I want to go to.

It will arrive is something I have heard lots of times on late deliveries for things that weren't going to arrive at all.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr.....do I stay or do I go?

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 03:13 am
@dlowan,
Weeny shmeeny. I think this is a totally legitimate kvetch, written with a certain flair.

So did ya stay or did ya go?

Did you get the iPhone or didn't you?
dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 03:27 am
@Roberta,
I stayed.

No ferking iPhone.

NOT happy Jan.

To be fair I was kind of stuffed and likely not a social delight. Need LOTS of sleep and am in a lot of pain from dumb back. However, socializing and moving are GOOD......and these are very close friends. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

But Boida....this is chicken **** compared with your reasons to kvetch....let's get real dollink.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 08:41 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
Every time I play a hidden object game, my right ear hurts. If I don't stop playing (and I usually don't), the whole right side of my head hurts. I stop playing, and the pain goes away. What the hell is that?

Bizarre! That's what that is.

Bunny - that was a lose/lose situation. If you waited there would be no phone. If you left it would arrive while you were gone. Just gotta pick which way you'd rather lose.

My sympathies on your back.

My kvetch du jour has to do with my most hated entities on the planet - insurance companies. Bastids have agreed to insure Mr B and the girls for upwards of $1000/month but have permanently excluded Mr B's shoulder from any coverage for any reason. It's the only thing he's had medical treatment for in the past four years and that's been a annual follow-up with the orthopedist after his bike accident four years ago. He's healthy as a horse other than a bum shoulder that he lives with. Now, no matter what, that shoulder won't be covered - permanently. Bastids!

I'm still in the abyss on my coverage. Not approved yet - gotta wait for the COBRA administrator to mail a receipt of final payment. Sent it two weeks ago and requested an immediate receipt. Called twice. They have the payment. They've had it since the 22nd. They don't know how long it will take to get me a receipt. Estimate 7-10 days. My insurance expires on 10/6. Bastids!
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 10:04 am
@JPB,
Quote:
My kvetch du jour has to do with my most hated entities on the planet - insurance companies. Bastids have agreed to insure Mr B and the girls for upwards of $1000/month but have permanently excluded Mr B's shoulder from any coverage for any reason. It's the only thing he's had medical treatment for in the past four years and that's been a annual follow-up with the orthopedist after his bike accident four years ago. He's healthy as a horse other than a bum shoulder that he lives with. Now, no matter what, that shoulder won't be covered - permanently. Bastids!

Is this what the insurance companies are now doing to get around the new health care regulations that were supposed to prevent denial of coverage and cancellation of coverage due to illness?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 12:23 pm
@JPB,
Fie on dem steenkin' insurance companies. Actually fie is what I say here, but not what I mutter at home. I'm hoping that this can come to some satisfactory solution. Not optimistic, but a goil can hope.

Re insurance companies: I have Medicaid. Need dental work badly. Medicaid doesn't cover back teeth. Coverage ends midway in your mouth. So I either walk around with pain and problems or I pay thousands out of pocket. Throwing in another dirty wordl.

Re dirty words: I casually mentioned to a cab driver that I'm a native Noo Yawker from da Bronx and that no language is too strong for me. (I'm sure this doesn't apply to all natives from the Bronx, but it does to me.) I think his entire body relaxed. And for the remainder of the trip, every other word out of his mouth was the f word. Made me laugh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 05:04 pm
@JPB,
Bastids!
0 Replies