Is the word "receipt" here a verb or a noun?

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:45 am

Context:

Following an apology, a written admission by the U.S. that Pueblo had been spying, and an assurance that the U.S. would not spy in the future, the North Korean government decided to release the 82 remaining crew members, although the written apology was preceded by a verbal statement that it was done only to secure the release.[16] On December 23, 1968 the crew was taken by buses to the DMZ border with South Korea and ordered to walk south across the "Bridge of No Return". Exactly eleven months after being taken prisoner, the Captain led the long line of crewmen, followed at the end by the Executive Officer, Lieutenant Ed Murphy, the last man across the bridge. The U.S. then verbally retracted the ransom admission, apology, and assurance. Meanwhile the North Koreans blanked out the paragraph above the signature which read: "and this hereby receipts for eighty two crewmen and one dead body".[clarification needed]

Bucher and all the officers and crew subsequently appeared before a Navy Court of Inquiry. A court martial was recommended for the CO and the Officer in Charge of the Research Department, Lt Steve Harris.[17] But the Secretary of the Navy, John H. Chafee, rejected the recommendation, stating, "They have suffered enough." Commander Bucher was never found guilty of any indiscretions and continued his Navy career until retirement.[18]
More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Pueblo_(AGER-2)#cite_note-13
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,226 • Replies: 22
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:50 am
Verb.
oristarA

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:59 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Verb.

Why this verb has to be followed by "for?" What does it mean? I don't understand.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:39 am
@oristarA,
Americans never use receipt as a verb (at least I have never heard it). This is a very uncommon phrase.

The preposition "for" is rather common and indicates purpose. I paid for the ice cream. I sang for the adoring crowd.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 06:41 am
@oristarA,
From Google/eLook.org/example of searching "receipt meaning"

Quote:
[verb] report the receipt of; "The program committee acknowledged the submission of the authors of the paper"
Synonyms: acknowledge

[verb] mark or stamp as paid

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 06:42 am
@oristarA,
From Google/example of searching "receipt meaning"

Quote:
[verb] report the receipt of; "The program committee acknowledged the submission of the authors of the paper"
Synonyms: acknowledge

[verb] mark or stamp as paid

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 08:48 am
Thank you guys.

But I still failed to understand "and this hereby receipts for eighty two crewmen."
Would anyone like to rephrase it?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 10:22 am
accounts for
oristarA

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 05:53 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

accounts for

My dictionary explains "accounts for" as:

be responsible for.

It seems not fit for that context?
fresco

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 11:38 pm
@oristarA,
The written admission was given of "spying" was given "as a receipt for" return of the prisoners. It receipted (acknowledged) their delivery to their own side in exchange for the admission. Later the Americans retracted their admission, but the N. Koreans merely struck out the "receipt" part of it, thereby allowing them to use it for their own propoganda purposes as an unconditional admission of guilt.
oristarA

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 02:58 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

The written admission was given of "spying" was given "as a receipt for" return of the prisoners. It receipted (acknowledged) their delivery to their own side in exchange for the admission. Later the Americans retracted their admission, but the N. Koreans merely struck out the "receipt" part of it, thereby allowing them to use it for their own propoganda purposes as an unconditional admission of guilt.

Thank you Fresco.

Now it is very clear for me abut the reason behind the paragraph and the signature.

However, should the grammar of "and this hereby receipts for eighty two crewmen and one dead body" be ""and this hereby as a receipt for eighty two crewmen and one dead body?"
High Seas

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 05:16 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
.. However, should the grammar of "and this hereby receipts for eighty two crewmen and one dead body" be ""and this hereby as a receipt for eighty two crewmen and one dead body?"

No - you still need a verb. Several possibilities "...this will serve as a receipt..", or ".. is provided as a receipt..." or ".. is submitted as...". The original use of "receipt" as a verb is probably military bureaucratese written by someone aiming for extreme brevity in stressful circumstances - as was of course the case.
McTag

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 06:00 am
@oristarA,

Americans are always doing this, verbing nouns.

They are quite beyond the pale.
High Seas

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 07:38 am
@McTag,
Not fair! Some US government agencies do have style manuals discouraging the practice. This from the NSA- SIGINT manual (publicly available):
Quote:
avoid using [effect] as a verb; it is usually redundant (e.g. "effecting change" vs. "changing")
oristarA

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 08:10 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

oristarA wrote:
.. However, should the grammar of "and this hereby receipts for eighty two crewmen and one dead body" be ""and this hereby as a receipt for eighty two crewmen and one dead body?"

No - you still need a verb. Several possibilities "...this will serve as a receipt..", or ".. is provided as a receipt..." or ".. is submitted as...". The original use of "receipt" as a verb is probably military bureaucratese written by someone aiming for extreme brevity in stressful circumstances - as was of course the case.

Excellent!

Thank you.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 09:10 am
@High Seas,

Very good.

So I won't have to bankroll a torpedo from outta town to nix you?
oristarA

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2011 10:02 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Very good.

So I won't have to bankroll a torpedo from outta town to nix you?

"So I won't have to bankroll a torpedo from outta town to nix you?" ====>>>

So I won't have to offer money to a professional killer from outta town to fix you?
McTag

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 02:56 am
@oristarA,

Correct!
oristarA

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 06:33 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Correct!

I believe the cost that the struggle for you to make this hard decision shall be much more than the cost to reply my grammatical questions with ease and comfort.
Very Happy

Dear Ms. High Seas will be proud of this.
High Seas

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2011 06:42 am
@oristarA,
Perhaps my good friend McTag will choose to clarify his comment was in choice Merseyside language, not the standard English you claim to be learning.