Is this the beginning of the end of Rupert Murdoch's media empire?

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:22 pm
@parados,
He also appears not to notice how much US politicians are affected by Murdoch.

I really hope all this prompts a real examination in all our countries of the power of scum media empires.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:23 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You haven't got a clue what the British people think. You don't know the first thing about Britain. You're a ******* idiot.

How IS it all playing out in the UK?

Do you think that most people are really interested?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:42 pm
@dlowan,
It's constantly on the news. Everyone is talking about it. It's about Murdoch though. I've always hated him every since the Wapping dispute in 1985. Now other people are starting to see him for what he is. It's all to do with Milly Dowler. Sometimes when a young girl is abducted and killed she unites the nation in grief.

Milly Dowler did just that. A lot of the public didn't give a monkeys about all the other stuff, Royals, Celebs etc. Now people are becoming aware of everything NI was doing. It's pretty much limited to NI and top brass at the Met. Cameron will see a bit of fallout, but he'll still be prime minister by the time of the next election. I don't know how that will go.

A good indicator will be the London Mayoral elections next year. Boris Johnson, the tory incumbent, is up against Ken Livingston, the previous Labour mayor. Ken has always been an enemy of Murdoch. The Sun once branded him 'the most odious man in Britain,' for having talks with Gerry Adams back in 1980 or thereabouts. Ken was interviewed last night, he said that in 8 years of mayoral tenure he had dinner with a load of journos once. Boris has already done it something like 15 times in just over 3 years. A landslide for Ken will mean something.
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:57 pm
@izzythepush,
NYT is suggesting Murdoch has said privately to other media baron scum that he won't go down alone.

I share your views on him but I don't for a second think this behavior is just a Murdoch thing. I truly hope it goes a lot wider.

The influence these people have on politics and public opinion is enormous....look at the people who think Fox is peddling truth.

Murdoch and his ilk have huge influence in Australia and the US at least....not so sure about other countries.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:04 pm
@dlowan,
What's interesting, is during this story's wilderness years the only news organisations that reported it were The Guardian, The BBC and Channel 4. No other paper reported it because they were all guilty. I hope they all do go down. But, they're all small fry next to Murdoch.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It's constantly on the news. Everyone is talking about it. It's about Murdoch though
So it is your assertion then that the British people are not the least bit interested in the connections between News Corp and the MET or political leadership....
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:08 pm
@dlowan,
People don't realize what Murdoch owns; his empire includes the companies that publishes the tabloids and ads in our stores.

We have antitrust laws in the US, but our government slept at the switch like the SEC that didn't know what banks were doing in their derivatives trades.

Monopoly is identified as illegal and a danger to competition, but Murdoch was able to accumulate most of the national and international media into his empire.

Most citizens of the US, UK, and Australia have paid the price for Murdoch's monopolies. He has poisoned the politics of these countries for his own sick-minded interest and influence.

I hope the British Parliament (and now the US FBI) harms the Murdoch empire to the degree they essentially destroy it. You know, kill it. It's a poison that must be eliminated from our environment.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Agreed.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:10 pm
@hawkeye10,
People are concerned about Milly Dowler's family. That's why people are angry. The Met and Government aren't connected to that, NI is.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:11 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
NYT is suggesting Murdoch has said privately to other media baron scum that he won't go down alone.
It has also been widely speculated that Scotland Yard moved so fast to arrest Red because they expected her to open her yap at the Tuesday hearing and further implicate the cops in wrongdoing , that arresting her is meant to keep her quiet out of self interest of not providing evidence against herself.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:15 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

People are concerned about Milly Dowler's family. That's why people are angry. The Met and Government aren't connected to that, NI is.
One would hope that you are wrong, that the Brits are not as petty and as blind to self interest as you claim. Do you have any public opinion polls that condemn the people thusly, which show that their focus is the harm done to a few people rather than a rotten system that harms all?
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
What about people who say you talk bollocks.
That is a boilerplate response at A2K, without argument and documentation such shoddy work is rightfully ignored.

You've got a gall to post **** like that, Mr. "I'm not your research assistant," Mr. "I am Zen."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:30 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:
Quote:
What about people who say you talk bollocks.
That is a boilerplate response at A2K, without argument and documentation such shoddy work is rightfully ignored.

You've got a gall to post **** like that, Mr. "I'm not your research assistant," Mr. "I am Zen."

There exists no point at which the fool can stop being foolish - he has to maintain at all times, or admit a lot of painful things.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
It has also been widely speculated that Scotland Yard moved so fast to arrest Red because they expected her to open her yap at the Tuesday hearing and further implicate the cops in wrongdoing , that arresting her is meant to keep her quiet out of self interest of not providing evidence against herself.

Well done, at long last you've finally contributed something worthwhile to this conversation.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 05:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
Look at what I've written. You are confusing 'blindness to self-interest,' to institutional change. People are angry with NI, they're not angry with institutions. If anything, parliament has regained a lot of credibility after the expenses scandal. Parliament, the BBC and the Royal Family, all British institutions, come out of this quite well.

Any residual anger will be directed at individuals, not institutions. Almost all the police officers tainted by the scandal have already resigned. Even if Cameron is badly damaged, the Tory party wouldn't risk changing leader now. Neither the Liberals nor the Tories would want to fight an election now, so they'll keep going until 2015.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:50 pm
@izzythepush,
And still you can't come up with a single authoritative source, I think that I shall wait for something more solid than your say so. The analysis I have seen indicates that both major parties are in it just as deep so neighter will score, but I have seen nothing to indicate that the Brits don't care about their corrupt insitutions. Sure, the politicians are trying to blame it all on the media companies, thus the call to break them up, but I don't expect the people to be dumb enough to fall for that game. Perhaps you spend too much time watching the tellie and not enough talking to people.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawk wrote,
Quote:
The analysis I have seen indicates that both major parties are in it just as deep so neighter will score, but I have seen nothing to indicate that the Brits don't care about their corrupt insitutions.

I must be reading other "analysis," so I'd appreciate it if you could provide the sources for your conclusion that "both major parties are in it just as deep."

Are you a fan of FOX News?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 07:02 pm
Which of the Tories, the Liberal Democrats and Labour are the "two major parties?"
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 07:03 pm
I wonder if bright boy there knows that Mr. Cameron's government is a minority government, based on a coalition.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 07:30 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
not enough talking to people.

And pray tell who are these experts on British politics you are talking to?

You just get sillier and sillier when you feel you've been slighted.