Is this the beginning of the end of Rupert Murdoch's media empire?
Andy Coulson to be arrested over phone hacking tomorrow
Second former senior News of the World journalist to also be arrested after leaks from NI force police to speed up plans
Andy Coulson has been told by police that he will be arrested on Friday morning over suspicions that he knew about, or had direct involvement in, the hacking of mobile phones during his editorship of the News of the World....<cont>
Phone hacking: two separate inquiries will look at police and press
David Cameron and Ed Miliband will meet next week to agree the terms of the official inquiries, including one led by a judge
David Cameron (PM) will meet Ed Miliband (leader of the Labour opposition) next Wednesday to agree terms of two official inquiries into the phone-hacking scandal, including a judge-led inquiry into the conduct of the original police investigation, and an inquiry into the future of the media and its regulation ...<cont>
I don't think the customer base is going to disappear any time soon.
I've got a twitter buddy in the UK posting a lot of stuff on this - apparently by closing NOTW and handing control over to liquidators it can legally destroy its records - that does sound like a Murdoch masterstroke.
I think Rupert is near the end of his use by date, physically. The empire won't disappear but it will break up. He really hasn't quite gotten to grips with the changing landscape of media in the internet age - though he's done better than many (think AOL Time Warner). I doubt he will be implicated in the phone tapping but some of his lieutenants will be (or already have). Personally the sooner he goes the happier I will be.
Cynical - certainly - it appears all to be about BskyB
1.35pm: The BBC's Robert Peston tweets:
Live blog: Twitter
@Peston EXCLUSIVE: Ofcom to signal that a probe into whether News Corp a fit-and-proper owner of BSkyB is highly likely. See my blog soon
As always, the Murdoch bigwigs so far get away with the disgusting behaviour of the hackers and the minions are now out of jobs
1.53pm: Hello, this is Haroon, taking over from Adam again. Robert Peston has now blogged on Ofcom's* monitoring of News Corporation and the BSkyB deal. He writes:
It [Ofcom*] is likely to make a statement later today, I am told, which will make it clear that it regards evidence that the News of the World's newsroom was out of control for many years as relevant to a judgement on whether News Corporation would be a fit-and-proper owner of British Sky Broadcasting.
... Ofcom will want to know how it was that the News of the World was able to engage in unacceptable journalistic practices for many years, who in theory had management responsibility for what went on there, and who knew what and when about all of this.
I would expect Ofcom to liaise with the police on securing information that would allow it to make this judgement. That said, I do not expect Ofcom to launch an enquiry into this "fit-and-proper" question immediately. It will want to allow the police to continue their investigation for a while longer, before making its own assessment.
Ofcom's probable intervention will therefore erect a very big obstacle in the way of News Corp's planned bid of almost £10bn for the 61% of BSkyB it doesn't already own - because the board of BSkyB will be not able to judge whether News Corp would be allowed by Ofcom to complete the takeover.
Video:Former NOTW executive recounts phone hacking
Source: ABC News
Published: Friday, July 8, 2011 10:48 AEST
Expires: Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:48 AEST
Former News of the World executive Paul McMullan tells ABC News 24 editors were fully aware of the phone hacking going on at the tabloid.
Journalism has become a form of entertainment
Murdoch's world in crisis
Karen Kissane, London
July 9, 2011/the AGE
News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks leaves the office of The News of The World overnight. Photo: Getty
THE crisis engulfing Rupert Murdoch's media empire continued to escalate last night despite his dramatic move to shut down the newspaper at the centre of the phone-hacking scandal.
As police revealed up to 4000 people had been targeted for hacking by the News of the World, Andy Coulson - the paper's former editor and a former aide to British Prime Minister David Cameron - was arrested over the affair.
At a torrid press conference, Mr Cameron announced two inquiries into the scandal and said that News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, who was editor of the newspaper when the hacking took place, should have been removed.
Arrested: former the <i>News of the World</i> editor Andy Coulson.
Financial damage from the scandal has spilled over from the Sunday tabloid and analysts say the company's entire British newspaper group is at risk.
Mr Cameron last night defended his decision to hire Mr Coulson as his media adviser. ''I made the decision, my decision alone, to give him a second chance . . . but the second chance didn't work,'' he said. ''People will judge me for that.''
But he said that mistakes had been made by all politicians. They had failed, he said, to stop and ask whether media organisations were behaving properly and politicians should now ''stop, frankly, trying to curry favour with the media''.
News Corp Chairman James Murdoch. Photo: AP
Up to 4000 people had been targeted for hacking by the paper's former private investigator, Glenn Mulcaire, police said. They are also investigating documents indicating the paper spent £100,000 in payments to five police officers.
The paper had initially claimed that the breaches were confined to a single rogue reporter but Rupert Murdoch's son James, chairman of News Corp's British arm News International, yesterday issued a humiliating mea culpa and apology over the company's multiple failures.
He announced the closure in a letter in which he said the behaviour of which the paper had been accused ''was inhuman and has no place in our company''.
Rupert Murdoch. Photo: AP
''The News of the World is in the business of holding others to account, but it failed when it came to itself,'' the letter said.
The closure of the paper was greeted by politicians and phone-hack victims as a cynical ploy to protect Mr Murdoch's bid for satellite broadcaster BSkyB. Ownership of BSkyB would make him Britain's dominant media proprietor, but there have been calls to examine whether he is a ''fit and proper person'' to hold the licence.
Labour MP Tom Watson said: ''Rupert Murdoch did not close the News of the World. [It was closed by the] revulsion of families up and down the land. It was going to lose all its readers and it had no advertisers left. They had no choice.''
Most of the paper's advertisers said they were pulling their accounts because they no longer wanted their names associated with the newspaper. ...<cont>
Most of the paper's advertisers said they were pulling their accounts because they no longer wanted their names associated with the newspaper.