Is this the beginning of the end of Rupert Murdoch's media empire?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:14 am
@msolga,
Rusbridger, editor in chief of The Guardian, tells his story in Newsweek: How the Guardian broke the Mudrdoch scandal
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 02:15 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Stevenson took a bribe from Murdoch?
As well as the all the rest?

Nothing quite so blatant. Stevenson employed former NOTW journo Neil Wallis as a PR consultant. Stevenson accepted a freebie from a luxury health spa for whom Wallis also worked as a consultant. Everyone claims there was no impropriety, Bollocks.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 07:59 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
A long running pattern of collusion between Murdoch and the state leaders as well as police has already come to light, and you dont see how the states reputation does not suffer here?? Really?

Actually, the opposite could come from it. It is coming to light and people are being arrested. That could well improve the state's reputations.

Which is a better state when it comes to reputations?
One that accepts bribes and does nothing?
One that prosecutes those that accepts bribes?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 08:04 am
@parados,
I agree, but there's only so many times you can say something before you give up.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 08:28 am
@izzythepush,
John Yates has now resigned.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 08:43 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

... and additionally:
· the Serious Fraud Office said it would give "full consideration" to a request by Labour MP Tom Watson to investigate out-of-court settlements made to hacking victims,
· shares in News Corporation dropped by 7.6% to a two-year low in trading in Australia,
· Brooks confirmed she would appear before a committee of MPs on Tuesday, alongside Rupert and James Murdoch, despite her arrest and questioning by police on Sunday,
· the Commons are recalled on Wednesday to debate the latest developments in the phone-hacking scandal.

I suppose that there's a lot more to come the next couple of days ...
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 08:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Brilliant profile on Tom Watson in today's Grauniad

Tom Watson: tireless campaigner gears up for Murdoch showdownLabour MP on culture committee gets his day after two years seeking answers from News International

Share168 reddit this Patrick Wintour, Political editor guardian.co.uk, Sunday 17 July 2011 20.46 BST Article history
Tom Watson, Labour MP for West Bromwich East, has spent two years seeking answers about one of the most powerful news organisations in the world. Photograph: Martin Argles for the Guardian
Tom Watson, Labour MP for West Bromwich East, Commons tormentor-in-chief of Rupert Murdoch, joined the culture, media and sport select committee two years ago to downsize his politics.

On Tuesday, after many hours pursuing the world's most powerful news organisation, this emotionally complex man comes face to face with the mighty Murdoch, his son James, and Rebekah Brooks, the former chief executive of News International.

Watson denies Murdoch will meet his nemesis, saying the session is unlikely to meet advance billing.

"There is not going to be a killer blow on Tuesday. Expectations are way too high," he said in an interview with the Guardian. "We will get the symbolism of parliament holding these people to account for the first time. We will look for facts, and not just offer rhetoric. This story has been like slicing a cucumber, you just get a little bit closer to the truth each time."

At times Watson has appeared like an isolated conspiracy obsessive. If Hansard permitted, some of his interventions would be printed in green ink. But with the Murdoch empire in freefall, the son of a union convenor in Sheffield looks vindicated. Even the culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt, last week praised his tireless campaigning.

Watson recalls how he stumbled into his role in 2009, after a "very tough time" during the Damian McBride affair.

Watson was falsely accused by a number of newspapers, especially the Sun, of being part of a Labour group involving McBride planning to set up a website to smear Tory MPs. "The Damian story broke on a Friday," he recalls. "Iain Dale got commissioned to write a piece in the Mail on Sunday saying I had been involved; on Monday the media went crazy, and by Tuesday most media recognised a mistake had been made.

"But the Sun had me on the front page, and then on Wednesday and Thursday four people started going through the bins at my family's home, and my neighbour's bin bags. They climbed a 6ft gate and were in the garage. A neighbour saw them off. I do not know where they were from."

He told the Guardian: "I took a quality of life decision. I didn't want to be part of this any more. It was taking too much toll. I had an interest in sport and the arts, so told Gordon [Brown] that at the next reshuffle I wanted to stand down as a minister.

"On the day I stood down in March 2009, the Sun printed a retraction, roughly six months after the original story. Serendipitously, a slot appeared on the culture select committee, and I won that in an internal election. The committee told me they were just completing a report on press standards, and about to start another one.

"Two days later Nick Davies broke the story in the Guardian on the extent of the phone hacking, and John Whittingdale, the culture select committee chairman, to his credit, extended the inquiry."

At his very first hearing, on 21 July 2009, Watson found his presence on the select committee challenged by Tom Crone, legal manager on News Group Newspapers, on the grounds he was in litigation with News Group. Speaker's Counsel effectively told the Murdoch group to get lost.

"What was clear from the first hour of evidence given that day was that the executives were incredibly nervous. The interplay between Crone and the News of the World editor Colin Myler was curious. I was just trying to find out whether they'd told Rupert Murdoch about the payments, to silence people like Gordon Taylor with a £700,000 payment. They went defensive and said they had never told Rupert.

"But then they admitted that James Murdoch had authorised the payment, and from that moment I knew there was much more to this than met the eye. As soon as Myler said that, Crone looked very tense and suddenly realised a body blow had been delivered.

"The media attention was on Andy Coulson [former editor of the News of the World, subsequently David Cameron's communications director] that day, for obvious reasons, due to his role in the Conservative party, but I was not particularly interested in him. I was interested in how the company operated."

Watson admits now: "We made mistakes as a committee. We let Les Hinton, the former executive chairman of News International, be interviewed on a video from New York. We could not eyeball him, and did not get far. We could have ordered private investigator Glenn Mulcaire to give evidence, but there was a sense on the committee he was a tiny cog, and had to be concerned with their privacy. We nearly took a vote on whether to compel Rebekah Brooks to give evidence, but in the interests of keeping the committee together we dropped it.

"I realised then that the final select committee report's findings were going to be inadequate. We would have to find media moments after the election to keep the pressure up." Since then, he says, he has probably worked on some aspect of the inquiry every day for two years, sometimes 12 hours a day.

"Some lawyers started to give me hints. Slowly whistleblowers and victims started talking to me. And that is how I got a better understanding of what went wrong. Some stories were harrowing. That is when I realised I could not let go.

"I also realised some of the lawyers were in competition with one another seeking clients, and I did a bit to bring them together to agree common responses.

"The Met were in total closedown, but I had a breakthrough where one insider told me how the company was structured and where things might get hidden. I started asking questions about a second secret server. And at the perjury trial for Tommy Sheridan, News International claimed they had lost an archive of emails covering 2005 and 2006 and that they had been lost in a transfer to Mumbai.

"I wrote to the information commissioner saying there had been a breach of the Data Protection Act since there was a failure to report a loss of personal data. In January News International admitted to the information commissioner the emails had been found. The idea was to put their data storage under massive scrutiny, and get the police to wise up to what they were doing."

Watson is quick to praise other MPs such as Chris Bryant, Paul Farrelly, Adrian Sanders, Mark Reckless and Julian Huppert, but he adds: "The person who has not been recognised is the Speaker. He gave us a platform to apply pressure on the government by allowing urgent questions to be asked, and the Standing Order 24 [a rule allowing an MP to ask the Speaker for an emergency debate]. Without being able to use the chamber as a way of applying pressure, I don't think we would have got there.

"It helped open up the media, and I knew that once this became no longer about celebrity tittle tattle, but instead victims of crime, the public would have a very different view on this. I thought the media explosion would be about the Soham family. I raised it with Yates right at the end of a session on 25 March. but in a very low key way. I knew that once it was confirmed it would genuinely shock people."

He concludes that the mess that the Murdochs find themselves in "is of their own making, in both conducting the hacking, and then failing to clear it up. Their response until the middle of last week has been dumb insolence, but they are now in freefall. I don't think they have a strategy. They are just slashing and burning everything, and anyone who was there at the time. The difficulty they have is James Murdoch was there at the time, and we know he authorised the payments to buy the silence of a victim of crime.

"It is still hard to believe what has happened over the past 10 days. It is just beginning to sink in what together we may have found out."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:19 am
http://www.thenation.com/blog/162016/has-roger-ailes-hacked-american-phones-fox-news

Quote:
All this week people have been looking for links between the Murdoch empire’s burgeoning phone-hacking scandal in Britain and News Corp.’s sprawling political/communications juggernaut in the United States. The links so far include a former New York City cop alleging that Murdoch’s now-defunct News of the World offered to pay him to hack into 9/11 victims’ phone records, and a News Corp. US shareholders’ suit in Delaware already targeting the company for nepotism adding British phone hacking as evidence of a corporate culture “run amuck.”

But rumors have floated in the press and on the Internet about possible phone hacking in that special-security-clearance-only bunker at Fox HQ for years.

Dan Cooper was one of the people who helped create the Fox News channel with Roger Ailes, and was fired in 1996. In 2008, Cooper wrote on his website that David Brock (now head of Media Matters) had used him as an anonymous, on-background-only source for an Ailes profile he was writing for New York magazine. Before the piece was published, on November 17, 1997, Cooper claims that his talent agent, Richard Leibner, told him he had received a call from Ailes, who identified Cooper as a source, and insisted that Leibner drop him as a client--or any client reels Leibner sent Fox would pile up in a corner and gather dust.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:19 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

like the proverbial House of Cards...
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 09:27 am
@Izzie,
I won't be happy until they're all in jail.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 10:20 am
@izzythepush,
What's the chances of Murdoch ending up in jail or prison for his crimes?

About 10%?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:38 pm

NoW whistle-blower Sean Hoare found dead in Watford
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:58 pm
Oh i do hope they can nail the son of a bitch in the U. S., because that will be the beginning of the end for the slimeball.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 12:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Don't get too excited, if you'd ever been to Watford you'd lose the will to live.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I reckon Roop has probably kept most of this at arms length. Jimmy is a bit closer to the **** storm, but the most he'll probably get is a fine if he gets anything.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:09 pm
@msolga,
I've read the Guardian online for some years now, only mildly following the local politics, but generally liking the quality of the writing re the culture type articles. I've been reading it a bit more intensely since I've had to wean myself from the New York Times because of their new pay to view (past 20 articles a month) system, twenty articles being a mere beginning for a reader such as I am. Anyway, I applaud their role in this Murdoch business.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:14 pm
Quote:
" Over just two weeks, the turbulence has toppled Britain's top cop and thrown London's Metropolitan Police Service (widely known as the Met or Scotland Yard) into crisis, shuttered the nation's biggest Sunday newspaper, led to the arrests of some of the most prominent names in journalism, revived the moribund career of Labour opposition leader Ed Miliband and shaken a global media empire to its foundations. And this is only the beginning as questions mount over the damage to Cameron's own credibility

Read more: http://globalspin.blogs.time.com/2011/07/18/call-scotland-yard-britains-prime-minister-is-in-deep-trouble/#ixzz1SUAWwKBs
and he is worried enough that he cut his trip to Africa from 5 days to 2

Quote:
John Yates, assistant commissioner of London's Metropolitan Police, resigned Monday just as British Home Secretary Theresa May was announcing a broader corruption probe involving allegations of police wrongdoing related to the scandal.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe/07/18/uk.phone.hacking/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The entire British state is now quivering as a result of the decision to take on Murdoch, and it will get worse as their is no doubt but that Murdoch has J Edgar Hoover quality files on the British power brokers, and he is not affraid to use them. Murdoch has along history of burning politicians when he feels it is in his advantage to do so.

If the UK does not back off this will get interesting.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The entire British state is now quivering as a result of the decision to take on Murdoch.

Bollocks.
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Don't waste your time talking to him--he's like the village gossip, if he doesn't have anything particular to say, he makes something up.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 01:20 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Don't waste your time talking to him--he's like the village gossip, if he doesn't have anything particular to say, he makes something up.
complete with fake links and quotes no doubt....