Teenage Domestic Violence. Why do these things happen?

Miller

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 09:14 am
Teenager 'cut his ex-girlfriend's throat and strangled her with a bungee cord'

By Rachel Quigley
Last updated at 11:18 PM on 5th July 2011

An 18-year-old student cut his ex-girlfriend's throat, strangled her with a bungee chord and dumped her body in a marsh, according to authorities.

Nathaniel Fujita, 18, from Wayland, Massachusetts, has been charged with the murder of Lauren Astley who he recently broke up with after a three-year relationship.

In what prosecutors believe was an act of teenage domestic violence, Fujita - who is the son of a Berklee College of Music professor - was arrested after a search of his family's home found blood in the garage and his clothing - which was stained with blood - stashed in the attic.

.Teen violence: Lauren dated Fujita for around three years but it was thought that they remained good friends since they broke up a few weeks ago

He has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder.

Middlesex District Attorney Gerard T. Leone Jr. said: 'We do believe this to be a case of teen dating violence. Lauren broke off the relationship…It’s a classic fatal paradigm that we see around teen dating relationships.'

According to Boston.com, Fujita remained on friendly terms with Lauren in the weeks after the relationship ended and they say it is not clear what would have prompted him to attack her.

A court heard today that Lauren had a 'gaping incision to her neck and her body was bound with at least one bungee cord, which was around her neck'.

Middlesex Assistant District McGovern said that through interviews, phone records and an examination of the Fujita family home, investigators pieced together a strong case linking the 18-year-old to the slaying.

Fujita admitted that his ex-girlfriend came to his home but insisted she was alive when she left.

More...It's NOT Lauren: Fresh hope for parents of missing student as police reveal body found floating in creek is not their daughterGaunt and strained face of DSK 'victim': French writer becomes latest woman to accuse him of attempted rape

Ms McGovern said: 'There was a strong case of premeditated murder … and attempts to cover up with what he had done.

According to Boston.com, Ms McGovern said that police searched the Fujita family home in the hours after Lauren was reported missing on Sunday night.

They allegedly found blood in the garage and a blood-stained bungee cord. Blood was also found in the kitchen and the bathroom.

'I miss Lauren terribly. But when we fall in love we allow ourselves to become vulnerable and we lose perspective'
She said investigators recovered a pair of sneakers stained with blood along with a plastic bag filled with wet, muddy and bloody clothing.

Her parents reported her missing after she failed to return home from work in a retail shop.

Phone records show that Fujita and Lauren had a number of conversations throughout her shift at work and she told co-workers that she was going to meet him after she left the mall.

According to Boston.com, Fujita's father immigrated from Japan and has taught at Berklee college since 1993.

Fujita and his teammates on the Wayland High School track team were named All-Stars by the Boston Globe in March 2010.

Lauren's father Malcolm said his daughter was due to go to Elon University to study business in the fall.

He described her as a popular teenager - a singer, an athlete, an aspiring fashion designer, and a passionate volunteer who made three trips to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

He said she was passionate about 'fixing the world' and said the last time he saw her was on Sunday afternoon, for lunch at a local restaurant before she went to work.

He refused to speculate about who was involved in his daughter's murder but said that she and Fujita were close.

Sobbing, he said: 'When we fall in love, we allow ourselves to become vulnerable and we lose perspective.

'I share a sense of angst with (Fujita's) parents. I miss Lauren terribly.'

An autopsy was scheduled for today but authorities said the obvious cause of death seems to be the wound to her neck
WWW.Daily Mail.com

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 10:46 am
@Miller,
It just gets worse and worse, doesn't it? Sometimes it is really difficult to grasp that human beings can do such a thing and then other times it seems like it is all they do. We are our own worst enemy.
manored

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 11:19 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

It just gets worse and worse, doesn't it? Sometimes it is really difficult to grasp that human beings can do such a thing and then other times it seems like it is all they do. We are our own worst enemy.
Its not getting worse, humanity has always been like this. Its just that the global population and communication networks are growing.
Arella Mae

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 11:28 am
@manored,
I respectfully disagree. This world does nothing but get more violent all the time. Morals have changed. What used to be considered wrong is now considered right because the "majority" thinks it is okay.
boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 12:05 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
More...It's NOT Lauren: Fresh hope for parents of missing student as police reveal body found floating in creek is not their daughterGaunt and strained face of DSK 'victim': French writer becomes latest woman to accuse him of attempted rape

???

They told this family they'd found their daughter dead and it turns out not to be their daughter?
boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 12:11 pm
@Arella Mae,
Statistics show that the violent crime rate has been falling dramatically in the last 15 years.
Linkat

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 02:09 pm
@Miller,
Yeah I'd say a big hole in the neck is highly likely to cause death.

On a positive note - this kid seems at least dumb enough to have all this evidence left around that at least even in MA, the prosecutors should be able to get a guilty.
sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 02:50 pm
@Arella Mae,
The majority thinks it's okay to slash a girl's throat?
sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 02:52 pm
@boomerang,
Different Lauren:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011188/Lauren-Spierer-Body-Indianapolis-creek-NOT-missing-students.html

(Miller copied and pasted the whole article, thereby including blurbs/ links to other articles, from here:)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011617/Teen-cut-ex-girlfriends-throat-strangled-bungee-cord.html
manored

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:45 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Statistics show that the violent crime rate has been falling dramatically in the last 15 years.
Exactly. If a person wants to know how the world is going, it should look for statistics. New agencies focus on the worst news of the pot and thus create the perpetual ilusion of that the world is going downhill in ever way.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:50 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you.

I could tell it was a blurb or a caption or something but the fact that they were both Laurens and both found in water confused me.
sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 04:52 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah, definitely confusing. Especially since this Lauren was found in a marsh, so could fit.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 05:57 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

The majority thinks it's okay to slash a girl's throat?

Oh goodness no! That is not what I meant. I am sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound like that. I surely hope society will never get to the point that the majority would think violence is okay. I was talking about people being totally selfish, lying to get what they want, thinking it's okay to bash people, etc.
Miller

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:00 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

Seems like it never ends. So sad.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:02 am
@manored,
manored wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

Its not getting worse, humanity has always been like this. Its just that the global population and communication networks are growing.

Things are very different today for young women and even adult women. Today, we have in the USA, the right to an abortion and the ability to control our sexual reporduction. That is a major change for the American woman.
How that is related to violence, is hard to say.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:04 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

I respectfully disagree. This world does nothing but get more violent all the time. Morals have changed. What used to be considered wrong is now considered right because the "majority" thinks it is okay.

Very true. Fifty years ago, how many teen girls were deliverying their babies in their high school bathrooms? I remember when girls got married prior to having a baby. Don't you?
Miller

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:05 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Quote:

???

They told this family they'd found their daughter dead and it turns out not to be their daughter?

Probably had a problem in the ID process. The deceased is their daughter.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:06 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah I'd say a big hole in the neck is highly likely to cause death.

On a positive note - this kid seems at least dumb enough to have all this evidence left around that at least even in MA, the prosecutors should be able to get a guilty.

The parents will probably hire a big-time lawyer, who'll claim the boy has a mental health issue.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 11:09 am
@sozobe,

Don't believe anything you read in the Daily Mail

0 Replies

manored

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2011 01:25 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Very true. Fifty years ago, how many teen girls were deliverying their babies in their high school bathrooms? I remember when girls got married prior to having a baby. Don't you?
Oh, you can be sure that there were lots. Maybe not necessarly in high school bathrooms, but in analogous places. The news simply werent spread, partly because technology wasnt as advanced (meaning it was harder for reporters to compose their news, and said news didnt spread as far) and partly because fifty years ago that was considered even more shameful and families were even more bent on hiding it then it happened.

Technology changed, human nature didnt. Girls getting pregnant before they wanted to isnt a recent invention of humanity.

1. Forums
  2. » Teenage Domestic Violence. Why do these things happen?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:21:55