how to answer this one?

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:15 pm
Making explicit use of moral theories, explain your position of the use of torture.

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:37 pm
@jessica0631,
I would explain my position on torture and back it up with moral (right v. wrong) theories (suppositions).

I think the use torture is wrong because......

I think the use of torture is okay because.....
jessica0631

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:47 pm
@boomerang,
thank you so much for providing me the guidance to answer this one.

could you explain a little bit about "back it up with moral theories" part you mentioned?

thank you.
Lash

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:48 pm
@jessica0631,
I think it sounds like you have to use tenets from a theory you've studied and cite those tenets as you develop your argument. What is your opinion - and what schools of philosophy have you studied?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 08:41 pm
@jessica0631,
Okay then. Let's take the most basic of the moral theories -- the Golden Rule (do unto others as you would have them do unto you).

You can support either opinion on torture using this rule:

I could never torture another person because I would not want them to torture me.

or

Torture can be acceptable when it will prevent a greater loss of freedom/life/whatever. If I got my hands on a madman I would have no qualms about torturing them for information that would lead to preventing disaster and I would expect that others would do the same to same my life.
0 Replies

TutoringMatch

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2011 02:34 pm
@jessica0631,
Before explaining your position, it's a good idea to explain both possible positions.
0 Replies