Alaska Inside Passage

CowDoc

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 06:38 pm
The Miz and I are considering a cruise along the Alaska coast next summer. Has anyone done that before? Anybody have any comments, suggestions, pros, cons, or other opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,118 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 07:04 pm
@CowDoc,
inside alaska cruise was our first cruise ever . we sailed with the
SS. ROTTERDAM ( laid up years ago ) of the holland-america line .
we cruised in september 1989 for 7 days - short but very impressive .
i'd recommend the two-week cruise - even though the return cruise stops cat pretty much the same ports as the outgoing cruise ,
the september weather was just perfect .
if you have two weeks to spare DO IT !

btw. the train-trip from vancouver to calgary is also really great - unfortunately via rail does not go through the " kicking horse pass " any more .
happy sailing !
hbg

btw. avoid the SUPERSHIPS if possible .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 08:00 pm
@CowDoc,
Every time I was in Alaska, it was work . Did some fishing in te Aleutians, and some prsopecting (talk about a busmans holiday).

I wanna go to Denali by pack plane some day.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 08:45 pm
@CowDoc,
Alaska is one of the very few US states that I've never set foot in. But quite a number of people whose opinions I generally respect have told me that the absolutely best way to see Alaska as a tourist (i.e. not on a biz trip) is from the deck of a cruise ship.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 01:00 am
I've sailed part of the inside passage, never been to alaska. I went to the Queen Charlottes and then headed south to the tip of Vancouver Island. It's like sailing on glass. You can almost reach out and grab the trees as you sail by the islands. You'll probably see pods of Killer whales and or other whales, dolphins, seals and maybe even a bear or two. A remarkable beautiful area of the world. DO IT!! I doubt you'll be disappointed.
By the by, I'm jealous... Wink
0 Replies