How is the actual childhood of middleclass children in Russia today?

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 05:30 am
I am Dileep from India. Back in sixties and seventies when I was going though my childhood and youth, I used to read Soviet magazines. I very much enjoyed the stories about school kids Viyta and Kolya and others. I found them a lot adventurous and the stories were always educative and ended on a positive note. They were so interesting that I wished I was born in Russia or at least visit Russia someday. Now almost sixty and a lot worldly-wise, I still feel that it was not all propoganda. Please tell me how do children live in Russia today.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,516 • Replies: 1
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 06:07 am
@Kakuldas,
A great and recent documentary I seen this year touches on the differences between two generations:
One with the generation that grew up during the fall of the Soviet Union and the other, their children.
My Perestroika:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1557720/

Saw it on it's first weekend here in NYC. Also, the theater had the director over to talk that Friday screening.

Quote:
My Perestroika is fairly foursquare as documentary filmmaking goes; it isn’t stylistically snazzy, nor doggedly vérité. Its closest kin in the genre is Michael Apted’s “Up” films, which are similarly focused on how people change over time. The difference is that My Perestroika is also about how a country changes, and what parents—including a husband-and-wife team of history teachers—try to tell their children about what life was like just a few decades ago. Do they accentuate the positives of the present, or the past? Or do they admit that neither is ever as rosy or as bleak as historians and politicians make them out to be?

http://www.avclub.com/articles/my-perestroika,53597/

0 Replies