What are you by nationality

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:34 am
& some class, too, Gautam! Very Happy
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:01 am
Gautam is so right!
Indians and other subcontinentals have given Britain a huge shot in the arm - since the grey fifties when there were hardly any colourful faces, the Gautams of this world have spiced us up no end. The nation's top favourite takeaway food is some weird hybrid called Chicken Tikka Masala, and Birmingham has given birth to the Balti - a sort of cuisine based on a bucket. They are legendary in the corner shop business and keep the National Health Service going. Now they are taking over the media too.
I wonder if it's like the Irish situation in the 19th century, when anyone with any get-up-and-go got up and went, leaving an impoverished Ireland but helping to create a dynamic US and Australia... any thoughts on this from other people whose families have moved around the world??
0 Replies

Mari

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:27 pm
I'm Canadian and have Scots, Irish, English, and German in my background.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 09:30 pm
You know, I always said i was half Irish and half Italian. I was wrong. I am most definitely half Italian. The other side is not so easy, looks like I'm mostly Scottish on that side with a little English and a tiny bit of German. One of these days I'll get my hands on that book of our british ancestry.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 12:02 pm
Those suicide bombers in London were British by nationality - makes it difficult to find them.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 01:44 pm
Since the original question only asked about Nationality, I will simply answer, American meaning born in the US of A.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 02:52 pm
while i'm canadian now, i came from germany many, many moons ago.
i'm definetely of "mixed" background. apparently even some gipsy blood flows through my veins - i've always enjoyed listening to gipsy music, so there may be some truth in it.
my grandfather - dad's side - was known by the name of "zigeuner' (german for gipsy) by his budddies, even though he didn't look much like a gipsy to me. hbg
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:07 pm
I was born in the US of A as well. However, my father was born in China, hence by blood I am half chinese, and my mother's family hails from Germany...making me the oddest lot person you will ever see...a 5'10" half chinese woman. I think michelle wie may be the only other chinese by blood woman taller than me. Smile however, i have been told i look hawaiin, i rather like that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:33 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Earlier I joined the "American" club, but it just occurred to me that not long ago, that statement in practice was woefully inadequate. I was in Costa Rica, and was asked "De donde es?" by one of the locals I met. Happy to have finally understood a question in Spanish, I replied "Yo Americano", feeling just a little proud as I'd only been studying Spanish for 2 days. With a somewhat disdainful look on her face she replied "me too". Shocked Fortunately, I regrouped pretty quickly and said "Soy de los Estados Unidos" which brought out Betsabe's natural Smile . We spent hours togetherÂ… Anyway, I'm not sure the term "American", by itself, qualifies as a nationality. So considering I'm a mutt, I'm not sure how I should have answered Confused , but I like Edgar's answer. I'm an Earthling too. Cool

I was listening to a Jackson Browne interview once. He made the observation that people from the US are egocentric enough to consider themselves the only Americans.
That just floored me. Yeah, all you Candians, Mexicans, Central and South Americans, you just don't count.

Me? Citizen of the US of A Sir!
Background? All grandparents born in Poland
I suppose a few generations before that Russian was mixed in.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:34 pm
>.>
<.<

I dont know my back ground

just know i was born in virginia
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:35 pm
Proud New Zealander! Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 03:44 pm
Slomichizza wrote:
I'm Polish! I immigrated to the U.S. when I was almost seven.

Well of course you are living in NJ! It seems almost every Pole that immagrated here at the beginning of the century settled somewhere within 50 miles of Bayonne.... Laughing

Tell me, did your parents come with you? Laughing

well, maybe not so funny, my babci moved here from Poland when she was 13, all by her lonesome.

Me, I was born down at the Shore. Been gone for over 25 years.

You know what I miss most? A decent pizza!

I love Texas, but God, you can't find good Italian food to save your soul.

And thanks, but I don't mean that North Italian Gucci Stuff.

I'd kill for a slice and a coke, or a pepper and sausage (pronouced swwaasage sub.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2005 05:13 pm
Dragon49 - you might enjoy a comedian-diarist-performance artist named Sandra Tsing-Loh. Her father is chinese and mother german, or perhaps the other way around. I saw her do a stage piece that included some funny bits about this combo...
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:14 am
really??? i will have to look her up. where does she perform and is anything available on dvd?

funny enough, i married a full blooded german, guess he was the only one i could find who was larger than me Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:43 am
Here's some links -
http://www.k2b2.com/SandroBio.html
http://talentdevelop.com/sloh.html
http://www.scpr.org/programs/perspectives/loh.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:49 am
On where I saw her - my exhub arranges performances for a (then to me local) performing arts center, and I used to go to a lot of them. I met her at the time. Don't remember saying anything funny to each other...
I don't remember her as so much funny with one-liners, though she may be, but that she would build story situations that resonated with truth and hilarity for me.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:48:07