CHRISTIAN IDEAS REVISITED

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:53 pm
Seeker started a thread asking for christian ideas on any topics which the contributors cared to raise. That thread has gone somewhat astray. So, as a courtesy to a new member, i decided to "restart" the thread.

Seeker's first question was how christians ought to view the issue of wealth, and there it is:

Seeker wrote:
Hi! I've always been a Christian but some teachings of the Bible have been confusing me, so if you are a Christian or know the Bible well could you help me on some of these? Here's my first one:
In all four (accepted) Gospels Jesus tells the good rich man that the one thing he needs to do is to give all his wealth to the poor and follow Jesus. Nuns and priests and other ordained people often deny earthly possessions, but most practising Christians have many 'luxuries' - some are very very rich! Is there a deeper meaning I've missed? Or are Christians just ignoring this coz they don't like it?

If you have any Bible questions please post them here too. I'll be back with more!

P.S.
Of course for this discussion we need to discuss the Bible teachings as if they were valid, whatever your belief, although on the other hand any references to other teachings and holy books is welcome!

Please give your comments on this topic, and thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,217 • Replies: 20
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 06:45 pm
my feelings are that the Bibles teachings are entertaining, some of it is good stuff to follow, but much of it is also claptrap.
Even the order of Creation is all screwed up in Genesis, even forgetting about 6 day of Creation.
Im fascinated by the evidence for the historical Jesus. It appears such a person no doubt existed. There seem to be enough contemporary artifacts that surround his existence from the period shortly after his execution.
However, his reputed teachings are not at all unique. They bundle lessons from everything from Akhenaten through Mithrianist thought.

I love how all kinds of myth are found to have some shreds of fact, and the scientific evidence that is used to partially underpin the origins of the myths is even more interesting. Like the geophysical evidence that supports a neolithic 'Flood myth", this myth has gotten incorporated into many religions and teachings
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 06:46 pm
Well, Setanta. I think Seeker needs to respond. We have established the idea that the rich, young ruler wasn't willing to part with his material things for a simpler life, unfettered by golden calves and such.

I have always wondered about Jesus' writing in the sand. What an odd thing for the Apostles to note. Another thing, when he borrowed a coin of the realm from the scribes and pharisees, saying "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's. he posed a question with no answer, but the main thrust is that he had NO money on his person.

Now I am a little weary, so I think I'll say good night.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 06:50 pm
One thing I was thinking about was that Jesus was in many ways a populist. And the rich have never been popular.

I suspect they were even less popular in his time than now.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 07:30 pm
Treasures in heaven have no connection with those on the earth.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:04 am
Letty,
Regarding the "render unto Caesar" teaching--the coin had the image of Caesar, while to Jesus' audience, man was created in the image of God. By implication, then, He was telling them to devote themselves to God. (?)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:57 am
Thanks, lab, I knew about the coin, but what fascinated me along the lines of material things, was that Jesus had to borrow a coin, which meant, he had no money at all. I also think it interesting that there are two accounts of creation in the Bible. One about Adam and Eve, etc.; the other, just a short and cryptic version.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:17 am
What Farmerman said!

And, although the stuff Jesus taught was not unique -- much of it certainly is worthwhile and valuable.

I think many Christians have managed, unfortunately, to make the "I love Jesus" more important than the "I love Jesus' message and follow it."

And I suspect that would not have made Jesus happy.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:36 am
Thanks, this is a great extension of the old forum. All v. interesting! There's some new stuff on the old forum too if you want a look, but it's great that this forum is a fresh start on the old theme.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:47 am
seeker, one quick word. Wasn't the talent a type of money? I know that over time it has come to mean an ability to create, that is why I posted the response on your other forum. Don't want to belabor the point, but this has always been rather esoteric to me, and seems, in a way, to be an endorsement of "using money to make more money".
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:38 am
Yes, I see your point. What I meant, although I wasn't clear, is not that a talent didn't mean money - I am sure it did. I meant that I thought the story was a parable, and that the talents - lets just call them coins - stood for what we are given in this life, and we have to use out oppurtunities and skills well. the fact that talents is a type of money and another word for skills is just a coincidence.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 11:10 am
I copied this from my post on the old forum and I was wondering if anyone could help as I've been thinking about it a lot:

I was wondering - I have a remote (note:REMOTE - the first application proccess isn't even finished yet, but I want to think about it before it's too late!) chance of going on an expedition to the High Arctic this year, organized by a TV crew to be made into a documentary. The trip would be a tough three week expedition over Easter - so how would you celebrate Easter trekking in the high arctic? Would it be a problem? What do you think Jesus would say?
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 03:50 pm
Regarding Easter in the Arctic:
When Jesus was talking with the Samaritan woman at the well, she brought up a controversy of the day regarding where to worship God ("high places" vs. temple). Jesus' response suggested that the heart of the worshipper is much more important than the location of the worship. Ideas: take your Bible with you on the trip and read the resurrection story Easter morning; spend time thanking God for the beauty of the wilderness around you; read through some Psalms / hymns; . . .
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:06 pm
Merci Lab rat, that is just the kind of advice I was looking for. I'll look up that Bible reference. Thanx! Razz
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:40 pm
Seeker, what part of the "High Arctic". Ive worked in the canadian arctic and the sub arctic Islands. It can be nasty on land or sea. .
Easter is second week of April so Youll be there for the first hatch of the Snowpool Aedes mosquitoes. Im not kidding.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 05:32 pm
Seeker wrote:
Merci Lab rat, that is just the kind of advice I was looking for. I'll look up that Bible reference. Thanx! Razz

Here are two related references:

Acts 17:24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;

Acts 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 12:01 pm
Thanx Craven! More useful stuff! Razz
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:00 pm
OK, another question.
We're supposed to put our neighbours before ourselves. But how does that apply in a competitive situation? It would imply that you should want somebody else to win, not you, so then you shouldn't try. But if everybody did that, where would we be? So is it just irrelevant to apply this idea to a competative situation? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:34 pm
"as' not "before".
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 03:42 pm
Seeker, I am doing this from memory, but I think Jesus said:

A new commandment I give unto you that ye love one another and your neighbor as yourself. I don't think this has much to do with competition, just a way of looking at others by looking at ourselves. Pretty good psychology.

I mentioned this before, but I think Jesus wrote in the sand while he was talking to Simon Peter, asking him three times, if he loved him. On the Realm, another forum linked to this one, one member replied to my observation that "what I tell you three times is true" and interpreted it to mean than when a person appeared in public three times with a member of the opposite sex, this was an indication that the relationship was serious; consequently, the two separate incidents are linked together in my mind as a reaffirmation of the things we believe to be true(Ironically, Peter denied knowing Jesus three times as well.)

In summary, I would say that Jesus exhorted his followers to treat others with dignity and to make good their beliefs even when they fell short of the covenant.His writing in the sand may have been his way of "doodling" as he asked simple but profound questions.

Hope this makes sense to you.
0 Replies