Is there actually a Free HookUp Website?

MrIVI

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:12 pm
This may seem like an odd question, but here it out:
There are hundreds of online dating and hook-up websites!
Most of them claim to be free, but once they've made you fill out ten pages of registration information/forms they then tell you, you need to pay $30 a month to send or reply to messages. That's not free.
The websites that aren't free tend to be geared more toward people looking for long term relationships.
I'm not a player, but at the moment I just can't commit to a long term relationship. My current occupation has me moving around a lot. And I'd like to find an actually free website where I can find people interested in dating with no long term expectations. (I don't like to date people who are hoping for a long term commitment when I know it can't happen.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 20 • Views: 124,318 • Replies: 29

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:18 pm
@MrIVI,
I await the spam that is surely to follow from such a posting.

PS I realize you do not mean this topic as spam bait, but spammers will flock here, just the same.
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:24 pm
@MrIVI,
I think okcupid is free.
MrIVI

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:37 pm
@boomerang,
You might be right but that seems like at least it's users are geared more toward long term relationships. Maybe I'm wrong?
Another one that I've checked out is PlentyOfFish. I've met several really great women through that site! And it is free. Still thought it was gear toward the longer relationship variety though.
boomerang

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:47 pm
@MrIVI,
I don't know. I've been married for more than 20 years and Mr. B would get pissed if I were to use a dating website. I've just heard about it.

Craigslist.org has a no strings attached personals section called "casual encounters" but I think it's more about sex than any sort of dating. According to my ex-neighbor some of the women there so expect payment though. They also have a "strictly platonic" area too.
MrIVI

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 07:02 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah, honestly, as much as I love/use Craigslist for other things; Craigstlist is kind of scary in the dating department.
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 02:04 am
@jespah,
Hum,
I guess maybe there isn't one.
I was expecting at least a lot of useless replies, but I got almost nothing here.
BillRM

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 02:52 am
@MrIVI,
You could try hitting on the women here. Drunk
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 03:13 am
@MrIVI,
Quote:
I got almost nothing here

I know, that's why I love you. Whether it's scriptwriting, gratuitous sex sans relationships or the merest modicum of respect or reciprocity, you can always be relied upon to come up empty.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 09:34 am
Hint:
When meeting someone for the first time, always say:
"Hi, nice to meet you. I am not interested in any kind of long term relationship."

Joe(See how that goes.)Nation
NickFun

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 11:21 am
Meetup.com is free, no hidden charges and you can find people of similar interests.
MrIVI

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 01:00 pm
@NickFun,
Thanks for the Meetup note, dude.
MrIVI

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 01:13 pm
@laughoutlood,
Quote:

Quote:
I got almost nothing here

I know, that's why I love you. Whether it's scriptwriting, gratuitous sex sans relationships or the merest modicum of respect or reciprocity, you can always be relied upon to come up empty.

Laughoutlood you know you're the only guy who never contributes, and you are the only guy asking for gratitude. How's that supposed to work?

Maye it be noted: I apologize to Boomerang if my comment sounded offensive. Boomerang was very helpful didn't happen to know a site I hadn't tried, but still very helpful. I really appreciate that. But my response was to: Jespah who said I would get a lot of spam in here and I was really commenting on the lack of anything jumping on this topic. Boomerang was the reason I put in the word almost because everybody but Boomerang didn't respond up to the point I'd made my post.

Finally, Laughoutlood, since you're still complaining about my using Able2Know to brain storm script writing problems and not giving anybody a film credit for it. (First off I just got my first internationally recognized film credit about a month ago, meaning not an unverifiable credit in my resume.) Next, I didn't want to say this on the post because I felt it would be rude after everybody's efforts in trying to help me come up with a solution, but I've never actually used an idea supplied by an Able2Know member. I'm very meticulous about giving credit where credit is due, but the issue is I never used anybody's ideas. I'm certainly grateful for the help members (other than you) supply, but so far none of the supplies have been winners. The closest to the goal was JoeFromChicago talked me out of writing one of my scripts. It was helpful because I decided it was a bad plot based on his advice, but it's hard to credit that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 01:40 pm
@NickFun,
I've heard of that, meant to join at some point (me with a lot of interests). When I looked up the local page, there was a group going for what I'll call nature hiking, which I was then interested in. In days of yore I used to meet people through work or in classes, so interest groups make sense to me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 11:56 pm
I joined A2K to meet chicks.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 12:00 am
@joefromchicago,
Laughs.

Though joefromchicago is a fine guy, don't get me started.
roger

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 02:16 am
@joefromchicago,
Me too. Sad
laughoutlood

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 05:34 am
@roger,
I only come here for the scriptwriters.

Like MrIVI's effortless

Quote:
The first is too eloquent and the second too colloquial. The first is also too wordy and the second is to trite. I need something shorter than the first and more meaningful/eloquent than the second. Got any ideas?

Maybe it was fate or just bum luck, but for some reason Sally and I were constantly put together.

Sally and I were constantly bumping into each other.
MrIVI

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 01:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah, Joe's cool!!!
He's also a bit all knowing. It's a little scary.
I mentioned his name in a post and bang here he is!
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 11:24 pm
@laughoutlood,
Quote:
Like MrIVI's effortless

I wont an award the Houston International Film Festival "WorldFest" for that film.