18.5 hour road trip with children, any tricks of the trade?

Ceili

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 11:43 am
I've done a ton of these drives back and forth to the island, an 18 hr trip, with a 3 hour ferry ride at the 13 hr mark. Overnight is the way to go. I love driving at night though. Take turns driving if you can, frequently and have little cat naps.
What I found best with little kids is to keep them engaged, don't ignore them in the back seat. Have sing-a-longs, play games, eat, love the dollar store idea. Eye-spy, counting games, pointing out stuff, reading... they all work, as long as it's not endless, for any of you. Give the kids a reason to be excited about the trip, either way.
0 Replies

vln1812

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2011 11:49 am
@Crazielady420,
i used to love colouring pads, colour by numbers that sort of thing
i'm not sure if this will work with younger kids but making friendship bracelets take a long time
hopefully they will fall asleep;)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 03:15 pm
@DrewDad,
You better hold on tight DD or you're going to get hurt when you fall off that high horse of yours.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 03:17 pm
@hawkeye10,
This from someone who defends French sex predators?

Rich, very rich.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 03:42 pm
@Crazielady420,
When they get older, you can have them keep a journal of the trip. Towns, events, odometer readings, etc. If it doesn't keep them entertained, it will put them to sleep. Best of all, it usually keeps them quiet. Yours are too young right now, of course.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 04:19 pm
Thanks for all the advice and tips. I went to the Dollar Tree Today and got a ton of activities for my three year old. They had princess chalk boards, stamp activity kits, cars, etc. I also got mini juice boxes (Not as many pee stops :-)) and baggies and snacks. I got totes to put it all in.

I also went to Building 19 and got cheap wrapping paper to wrap everything up in and that also had some fun travel games to play that she we enjoy so I got those too.

Last stop was good old Walmart where I got the Leapster, some really cheap movies (one is a treasure hunt) and the baby some new toys!

There are only a few things left of the list, so excited to get on the road and see the family. It has been more than two years since I've seen my brother and everyone, with the excpetion of my father whom I saw in Sept, 2009.

I'll have to post pics of my travel stash before we go. Now I just need to remember not to give them everything on the way there and not the way back!!
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 08:56 pm
@Crazielady420,
Looks like you're all set, Crazie. Just make sure you keep some of the toys
for the ride back home. Drive careful and have a great time with your family!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 11:03 pm
I pity my mother, taking me places on the train during ww2. Luckily I don't remember any of that. In later years, I loved our cross country trips - they probably set me up for love of travel. I do remember caring about license plates for some reason.

0 Replies