profiling = feature?

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 10:22 pm

Context:

SUMMARY
Epigenetic information can be inherited through the
mammalian germline and represents a plausible
transgenerational carrier of environmental information.
To test whether transgenerational inheritance
of environmental information occurs in mammals, we
carried out an expression profiling screen for genes
in mice that responded to paternal diet. Offspring
of males fed a low-protein diet exhibited elevated
hepatic expression of many genes involved in lipid
and cholesterol biosynthesis and decreased levels
of cholesterol esters, relative to the offspring of males
fed a control diet. Epigenomic profiling of offspring
livers revealed numerous modest (20%) changes
in cytosine methylation depending on paternal diet,
including reproducible changes in methylation over
a likely enhancer for the key lipid regulator Ppara.
These results, in conjunction with recent human
epidemiological data, indicate that parental diet can
affect cholesterol and lipid metabolism in offspring
and define a model system to study environmental
reprogramming of the heritable epigenome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,066 • Replies: 14
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 02:54 am
@oristarA,
No, not at all. I don't even know what you think the text would mean if you substituted the noun feature for the verb form profiling.
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 07:43 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No, not at all. I don't even know what you think the text would mean if you substituted the noun feature for the verb form profiling.

Well Set, please give the definition of the word profiling.
Setanta

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 07:47 am
As i read it here, Miss Oristar, the verb form is being used as a part of an adjective to modify the noun screen. The entire adjectival phrase if "expression profiling," which appears to mean the expression of the gene(s) in question. Therefore, the screen would be one which seeks to produce a profile of the expression of the gene(s).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 07:51 am
@oristarA,
To be honest with you Oristar, this is a very technical scientific piece. You'd be better off asking a scientist. Certain branches of science have their own vocabulary, which does not necessarily concur with the day to day use of the same word. When I checked my dictionary I couldn't find any definition of profile that would cast any light on your extract.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 07:53 am
@oristarA,
It may well be that it's not the word you should be looking at, but the phrase 'expression profiling screen.' It doesn't mean anything to me, be it may well mean a great deal to a geneticist.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 08:00 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Well Set, please give the definition of the word profiling.

You're looking for a definition of a word, when what you need to do is look at the phrase.

You continue to have difficulty identifying when words are part of a phrase.

Good luck.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 08:04 am
Okay thank you guys.

I'll get it in a scientific way.
0 Replies

talk72000
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 01:50 pm
@oristarA,
The word profile is used when a person's facial features are presented from the side view used mostly by police. So profiling is to identify by physical features. Certain ethnic groups object to 'profiling' by police in traffic or other law enforcemnt as they use the skin color to give them tickets or are pulled over in the road checks purely on their skin color.

So 'profiling' is a means of identification. The genes would be identified by certain sequences of molecules or or easy way of grouping the genes.
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:02 pm
@talk72000,
That's it.
Thank you.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:07 pm
In the context offered in the starting post, in the sentence "Epigenomic profiling of offspring livers revealed numerous modest (20%) changes in cytosine methylation depending on paternal diet, including reproducible changes in methylation over a likely enhancer for the key lipid regulator Ppara," can you see clearly that "depending on paternal diet" modifies "changes", not "cytosine methylation"?

talk72000

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 11:29 am
@oristarA,
Paternal diet means that depending on what the parents eat could affect the genes. Cytosine is one of the four bases forming the genetic code.
oristarA

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 09:17 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Paternal diet means that depending on what the parents eat could affect the genes. Cytosine is one of the four bases forming the genetic code.

Thanks.

But I knew what you said. My question remains unanswered:

oristarA wrote:

In the context offered in the starting post, in the sentence "Epigenomic profiling of offspring livers revealed numerous modest (20%) changes in cytosine methylation depending on paternal diet, including reproducible changes in methylation over a likely enhancer for the key lipid regulator Ppara," can you see clearly that "depending on paternal diet" modifies "changes", not "cytosine methylation"?

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 03:02 am
@oristarA,
No, ""depending on paternal diet" modifies the entire phrase "modest changes in cytosine methylation."
oristarA

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 05:49 am
@Setanta,
Thanks.
0 Replies