Do people have the Biblical teachings wrong?

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 06:51 pm
is no right way. Here are two commandments and a religious teaching that are all misunderstood because of odd interpretations.

Do you refrain from saying God's name in vain? If you do, then you are one of the many who follow religious interpretation without realizing that it isn't necessarily what the Ten Commandments actually said. Most people translate the third commandment (Deut 20:2-14) as "You shall not take the Lord your God's name in vain." In actuality, the commandment was said "Lo tissa et shem Ha-Shem Eloheikha la-shav; you shall not carry the Lord your God's name in vain." "In other words, don't use God as your justification for selfish causesÂ…When a person commits an evil act, he discredits himself. But when a religious person commits an evil act in the name of God, he or she discredits God as well." Therefore, it is a commandment that you will not commit evil and say that God made you do it.

Hopefully, you also refrain from killing people. Anti-death penalty activists have been using the bible for years to say that we must stop capital punishment. The two word commandment "Lo tirtzakh" does not mean "You shall not kill," it means "You shall not murder." To murder is illegal homicide of an undeserving subject. Killing can be anything from self-defense to capital punishment (which is highly exercised in the bible). So, the next time you are being attacked don't hesitate to kill; after all, the Talmud says "If someone comes to kill you, kill him first."

Finally, we reach the last of the misunderstood teachings. "An eye for an eye (Ex 21:24)," this saying is used to enforce the idea that the bible was in favor of bloody vengeance. In fact, the verse was almost solely used in ancient times except for death sentences. Nobody would actually take an eye in retaliation because that would surely cause death. Instead, the saying became "An eye for an appropriate number of coins." The sole exceptions were murder cases. A life was not payable in money, so the perpetrator pays with his life.

Throughout the ages, people have had plenty of time to misread, misinterpret, or misunderstand the thousands of pages of religious texts. It mostly shows that people will follow a religion even if they don't quite understand what they are doing, or don't invest the time to really find out what those texts mean for themselves.

I have gathered these three misunderstood commandments and religious teachings from Joseph Telushkin in his book Jewish Literacy. Even if you aren't Jewish, these teachings envelope many different forms of religion and can tell a lot if they are learned the correct way. Thanks for reading.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,235 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 08:15 pm
Gimme a break!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 09:05 pm
I stopped eating kit-kat bars years ago
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 09:05 pm
Frank, please tell me that you disagree with something!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 09:54 pm
Okay.

I disagree with something.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:51 pm
And something disagrees with you, you really should take antacids for such a large problem.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:56 am
Individual wrote:
And something disagrees with you, you really should take antacids for such a large problem.

Actually, I'm on one of those one-pill-a-day prescriptions because of acid reflux.

Just having a bit of fun here, Individual.

Your introductory remarks were a bit over-the-top for me -- and I'm just bustin' balls.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 06:28 am
Frank- I have a whole sheet of plastic bubble wrap. I LOVE to pop the bubbles. It is a great tensional outlet. Then I don't have to bust anyone's balls. If you talk nice to me, I'll send you some! Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:48 am
I always talk nice to you, Phoenix.

I've got some bubble wrap here -- but to be honest, I hardly ever get tension. Acid reflux (and ulcers) are sometimes attributed to that, but scientists now say there is no relationship.

Me....I'm always loose!

But I guess I do enjoy breaking stones.

Maybe I'm a closet sadist!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:51 am
Quote:

Now, we are getting somewhere. Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:21 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Now, we are getting somewhere. Laughing :wink:

I'll raise you one lol and two winks. Laughing Laughing :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 11:01 am
Interesting interpretation, individual, but I have no opinion, I'm afraid.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:14 pm
And I was looking forward to what you might say...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:14 pm
I think it's interesting, Individual. Not being a Biblical scholar nor knowing Aramaic (or Latin or Greek), I'll have to take your word for it.

Somebody from abuzz once sent me the Lord's Prayer as it could be translated directly from Aramaic... I'll dig around and see if I can find it. It was quite different. Very Happy Okay, this is it! I personally like it but be prepared to raise your eyebrows.

Quote:
A Translation of "Our Father" directly from the Aramaic into English
(rather than from Aramaic to Greek to Latin to English)

O cosmic Birther of all radiance and vibration!

Soften the ground of our being and carve out a space within us where your Presence can abide.

Fill us with your creativity so that we may be empowered to bear the fruit of your mission.

Let each of our actions bear fruit in accordance with our desire.

Endow us with the wisdom to produce and share what each being needs to grow and flourish.

Untie the tangled threads of destiny that bind us, as we release others from the entanglement of past mistakes.

Do not let us be seduced by that which would divert us from our true purpose, but illuminate the opportunities of the present moment.

For you are the ground and the fruitful vision, the birth-power and fulfillment, as all is gathered and made whole once again.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 10:26 pm
Here is the text from King James for those of you that aren't familiar with the Lord's Prayer.

Matthew 6:9-13

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen

The whole idea seems to stay intact...it sounds much more like a hippie wrote it in aramaic. I don't know, here's another sample from the same prayer supposedly translated from aramaic to english.
Aramaic and English version of the Lord's Prayer
I don't know what's wrong with your version but this one is pretty much the same as the King James version. Let me do more research...

It turns out that the version that you have is the "the metaphorical and the universal or mystical point of view." With more than one version, here's a much longer one:
Hippie Version
0 Replies

Aressler

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 10:52 pm
I think that biblical teachings are not all true in this day in age. The scripture was written long ago in a language that probably had to be deciphered and rewritten and in that process, who is to say that that people interpreting the bible did not change or manipulated it in any way. Wouldn't it seem possible that someone did change the biblical scriptures, or even make some of it up and say it was from God. The entire scripture was written by humans, it says in the scriptures that humans are not perfect. So, in the writing of the scriptures there must be something that isn't quite right. Of Course the other side to this is that if someone believes in God then they must believe that god gave insight to all the people who wrote it and it was his will. Did God make sure the scriptures were all correct?? It does say he gave us free will so who is to say that someone didn't use that free will to manipulate the bible. Just thoughts.
0 Replies

Slomichizza

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 05:51 pm
Individual, you raise some interesting points. I personally like the translation of the Fifth Commandment, the "Thou shalt not kill" for those unfamiliar with them. Personally, I believe it cannot be "Thou shalt not kill," as in a couple of passages God demands sacrifice! And Christian and Jews are not brought up to be vegans, either. "Kill" would apply to all living things, would it not?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:55 pm
Welcome to A2K, Slom. I had never even thought about the inclusion of animals into the description of that commandment.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 12:38 pm
I think it is highly likely that we've got some of it wrong. It was all written in a different day and age in a different language for a different people. But it teaches you the basic principals - there's a lot of interpretating and applying to the world today to be done. I don't mean soften it and rub off the bits you don't like though - all to easily done.
0 Replies

Guitarman

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2004 10:32 am
I didn;t feel like reading this whole topic posts but here are my thoughts:

Peopel don't focus on the idea of being kind more then commiting sin. I believe God would care more about being generous and kind then going to church, or praying.
0 Replies