done with = finished?

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:40 pm

Context:
“He’ll milk it for all he can,’’ said Jalal el Gallal, a rebel spokesman in Benghazi. “Now he knows how the Libyans feel and it’s a shame they didn’t get [Moammar Gaddafi]. . . . We need this to be over and done with and, frankly speaking, this is the easiest way.’’

More:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/gaddafi-calls-for-cease-fire-as-nato-strikes-tripoli/2011/04/30/AF1jZsNF_story_1.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,476 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
JTT
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 07:48 am
@oristarA,
Yup.

People often say "are you done with this?, which could refer to a computer/a plate of partially eaten food/a pencil/... to mean "are you finished with this?
oristarA

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:21 am
@JTT,
Thanks
contrex

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:23 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
We need this to be over and done with

The phrase "over and done with" is a common one and means "finished".
oristarA

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:40 am
@contrex,
An idiom new to me.
Thank you.
contrex

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:43 am
@oristarA,
We say "over and done with" when we wish to emphasise that something tedious or unpleasant or long drawn out is definitely over.
oristarA

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 09:27 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

We say "over and done with" when we wish to emphasise that something tedious or unpleasant or long drawn out is definitely over.

When I read Bill's phrase "...my fellow Americans... let us begin with energy and hope, with faith and discipline, and let us work until our work is done" and replaced the word "done" with "over and done with," I laughed, this morning.

Seriously speaking, Bill's right and we should take his speech sincerely.

0 Replies