42p = 42 pounds? Pennies? Five portions = ?

laughoutlood

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 01:27 am
@oristarA,
Q: Does the fruit and veg have to be fresh?
A: No. Fresh, frozen, chilled, canned and dried fruit and vegetables all count towards your five portions.

Aim for at least five portions (a total of 400g) of a variety of fruit and vegetables each day.
oristarA

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 02:38 am
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

Q: Does the fruit and veg have to be fresh?
A: No. Fresh, frozen, chilled, canned and dried fruit and vegetables all count towards your five portions.

Aim for at least five portions (a total of 400g) of a variety of fruit and vegetables each day.

It has catered for my taste: weight - 400g! Let the measurement cup for volume go to museum. Amen! Very Happy
laughoutlood

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 03:42 am
@oristarA,

Smile an everlasting smile, a smile can bring you
near to me.
Don't ever let me find you gone, cause that would
bring a tear to me.
This world has lost its glory, let's start a brand
new story now, my love.
Right now, there'll be no other time and I can show
you how, MY LOVE.

Talk in everlasting words, and dedicate them all to
me.
And I will give you all my life, I'm here if you
should call to me.
You think that I don't even mean a single word I
say.
It's only words, and words are all I have, to take
your heart away
Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:05 am
@oristarA,
If you send the measuring cup to the museum, i don't think i'd want to dine at your house.
oristarA

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:29 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

If you send the measuring cup to the museum, i don't think i'd want to dine at your house.

It sounds not so friendly. No measuring cup in restaurants in China, they just weigh and cook. You can't refuse all of them when travelling in China (or England - which also uses g to weigh food). Very Happy
oristarA

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 08:34 am
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JECTUQVrvzE&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

Smile an everlasting smile, a smile can bring you
near to me.
Don't ever let me find you gone, cause that would
bring a tear to me.
This world has lost its glory, let's start a brand
new story now, my love.
Right now, there'll be no other time and I can show
you how, MY LOVE.

Talk in everlasting words, and dedicate them all to
me.
And I will give you all my life, I'm here if you
should call to me.
You think that I don't even mean a single word I
say.
It's only words, and words are all I have, to take
your heart away

How sweet and lovely!

If you are a pretty girl, I will marry you. Smile

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 06:01 pm
@oristarA,
I have no objection to the metric system, but you know, recipes which use the metric system also list amounts in measures of volume. The other night, i was preparing a dish which gave an amount in milliliters, and i had to do the conversion in my head--but it was definitely giving a measure of volume. I find your objection to measures of volume quixotic and silly.
oristarA

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 02:25 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I have no objection to the metric system, but you know, recipes which use the metric system also list amounts in measures of volume. The other night, i was preparing a dish which gave an amount in milliliters, and i had to do the conversion in my head--but it was definitely giving a measure of volume. I find your objection to measures of volume quixotic and silly.

It's all about custom and ensuing feeling of convenience. When Brits used to use gram to weigh their food, you, Setanta, a stubborn, self-willed man in his golden age, should neither pick on them as quixotic nor criticize Chinese people as silly.

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 03:12 am
@oristarA,
Your objection here is indecipherable. The "Brits" use the metric system now, so i don't know why you write when they used to. I am not criticizing you, nor the Chinese people for being silly. I am criticizing your incomprehensible objection to measures of volume as silly. Perhaps no recipes in China include measures of volume, that's something which i am not competent to comment on. However, whether it is U.S. standard, Imperial or metric, recipes written in English include measures of volume.

Perhaps you can explain how it is that the use of measures of volume is somehow antique and outmoded, which is what your comments seem to imply.
Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 03:19 am
Here is an example of what i mean. The recipe below is taken from a page at About-dot-com, a recipe for beef and peppers in black bean sauce, and alleged to be a Cantonese dish:

2 teaspoons [a measure of volume] Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
1 1/2 teaspoons [a measure of volume] cornstarch
1 tablespoon [a measure of volume] vegetable oil, such as canola
Other:
2 bell peppers, 1 green and 1 orange or red
1 small onion
1 tablespoon [a measure of volume] Chinese fermented
2 cloves garlic
2 large slices ginger
4 tablespoons [a measure of volume] oil for stir-frying, or as needed
1/2 cup [a measure of volume] chicken stock or broth or water

Now, you may object that recipes written in Chinese never use measures of volume, and i'd take your word for it, since you're likely to know that, while i am not. But to attempt to suggest that using measures of volume is somehow odd or outdated is a silly position for you to take.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 07:38 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Your objection here is indecipherable. The "Brits" use the metric system now, so i don't know why you write when they used to. I am not criticizing you, nor the Chinese people for being silly. I am criticizing your incomprehensible objection to measures of volume as silly. Perhaps no recipes in China include measures of volume, that's something which i am not competent to comment on. However, whether it is U.S. standard, Imperial or metric, recipes written in English include measures of volume.

Perhaps you can explain how it is that the use of measures of volume is somehow antique and outmoded, which is what your comments seem to imply.

Never have I said that the measure of volume is oldfashioned. In fact, when I took a look at the recipe, I got an impression that it was so user-friendly.

The recently published cooking books in China have in part adopted the measure of volume, though most of Chinese are still used to gram metric system in cuisine. But the question remains: when it comes to big leaf vegetables, how to use the measure of volume? How to measure such vegs with a cup? How much is one portion in this case?

In previous posts, someone suggests that you can eat the veg until you're satisfied. Aha! The purpose of suggesting five portion a day is to save money for enough nutrition, not spending more to favor your appetite.

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 07:52 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
. . . gram metric system in cuisine

OK, there's a problem of perception right here. The metric system also includes liters and milliliters, which are measures of volume. The metric system is not solely about weight.

You know, when you said that measuring cups should be taken off the museum, and when you referred to my "golden age," it sure sounded to me as though you were saying that measures of volume are old-fashioned. It may not mean much in the great scheme of things, but Americans use both the metric system and the U.S. standard system, and they more commonly use U.S. standard for measures of volume.
oristarA

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 08:42 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
. . . gram metric system in cuisine

OK, there's a problem of perception right here. The metric system also includes liters and milliliters, which are measures of volume. The metric system is not solely about weight.

But when comes the most of cases of Chinese cuisine, it's only about weight.

Setanta wrote:
You know, when you said that measuring cups should be taken off the museum, and when you referred to my "golden age," it sure sounded to me as though you were saying that measures of volume are old-fashioned. It may not mean much in the great scheme of things, but Americans use both the metric system and the U.S. standard system, and they more commonly use U.S. standard for measures of volume.

I only referred to your veteran's style. Very Happy
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 12:27 pm
@Setanta,
My set of scales and measuring jug has measurements in metric and imperial. We only use metric when we feel like it. Most recipes give both measurements. Trying to use American measurements is a total pain. Everything has to be converted back, and there's different tables for butter, sugar flour. It takes almost as long to do the conversion as to do the recipe.

Anyway more to the point this whole thread started with a quote from The Daily Twatting Mail. What do you want to read that bollocks for? That's the paper that supported Hitler in the 1930's
Setanta

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 12:29 pm
@oristarA,
Well, i am a veteran . . . but i didn't have to cook when i was in the army . . . (here, i despise "emoticons" but i don't want you to take that seriously Wink )
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 07:22 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Anyway more to the point this whole thread started with a quote from The Daily Twatting Mail. What do you want to read that bollocks for? That's the paper that supported Hitler in the 1930's

Welcome to reveal the inside story of the "notorious" paper. Had dailymail.co.uk.really supported Mr.hitler in the 1930's?
contrex

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:05 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
Had dailymail.co.uk.really supported Mr.hitler in the 1930's?

The pre-war Internet was a rather odd place. Sturmer.de was a terrible site!
contrex

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 12:23 am
The Daily Mail led anti-Jewish campaigns in the 1940's claiming that the German Jews had brought Hitler's persecution on themselves.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:21 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:
Had dailymail.co.uk.really supported Mr.hitler in the 1930's?

The pre-war Internet was a rather odd place. Sturmer.de was a terrible site!

But
http://www.sturmer.de/
looks like kids' paradise.
oristarA

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 01:29 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

The Daily Mail led anti-Jewish campaigns in the 1940's claiming that the German Jews had brought Hitler's persecution on themselves.

Is it possible that Mr.hitler intended to swallow down the filthy rich Jews's money and found an excuse to persecute them? In Three Kingdoms, the tyranny of usurper Dong Zhou led to the slaughter of the rich families in the Capital Luo Yang, in order to seize their money and wealth.