Any Campers in the Mix?

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 04:48 am
@Butrflynet,
Im interested too. I saw an Airstream oldy for sale near Elkton Md last month. It was about the same as your Boler (Trillium?). I actually looked at it and thought about your project, I derove off knowing that Ive got waaay too many porojects on the boards. Maybe sometime, maybe not.
Ceili

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2012 12:30 pm
@farmerman,
An airstream would be cool. A friend of mine just redid one and it's beautiful. He used all dark wood stains and stainless inside. To die for... One of these days, when I get the cash and a proper work space. Fingers crossed.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:32 pm
@Ceili,
I’ve never been camping before. My idea of camping is getting a cabin, like Big Bear Lake, use to do that a lot in CA.

Well now Antonio wants to go camping when it warms up a bit, the whole sleeping in a tent kind of camping. I just don’t do tents and sleeping bags, not sure how to get out of this one, oh perhaps get a tent and set it up in the cabin, there we go! Cool
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:40 pm
@jcboy,
Hmmmm, Yosemite used to, and still may, have "tent cabins". Wonder if any other places have that.
jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Tent cabins, never heard of those. I don’t think I could ever do a tent outside and sleep in the ground. I need a shower and a nice bed to sleep in Cool
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:45 pm
@jcboy,
Start small. Rent a pup tent and sleeping bags and camp out in the backyard. You could even get fancy and use cots or air mattresses.

Let him invite a friend over. You all could roast hot dogs and marshmallows around a fire pit,sing camp songs and tell scary stories about Big Foot.
jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:47 pm
@Butrflynet,
I was actually thinking of that, might invite his little friend Justin over for the night and let the two of them sleep in the tent, I’ll bet they will want to come in when it starts getting dark lol.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:50 pm
@jcboy,
I don't know that someone who is afraid of camping should be the one to initiate them in it by themselves...

camping is not that difficult, nor savage, if you do it right.

I basically camp where I live, but for a comfy bed...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 05:58 pm
The Yosemite tent cabins had cots, and showers weren't many feet away..

here one website that shows them, in California though -
http://www.bigbasintentcabins.com/
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 07:18 pm
@jcboy,
jc, I'm pretty sure you could rent a camper or trailer in Florida. You won't need to sleep on the ground or even use sleeping bags. Most of the bigger campers, and when I say bigger, I mean anything larger than mine. At 13 ft, 3 of which is the trailer frame, there isn't a lot of room for the niceties in life. I've been camping since I was a wee babe. I believe my first foray into the wilds took place when I was just shy of 3 months. I don't suggest you go all native on your first outdoor excursion though.
Whilst I'm on the topic... What the hell do you mean by warmer? I doubt I've ever been camping in your daily mean temps? and yes, I do mean your winter weather. I'm just waiting for the snow to melt before I head out... Wink Very Happy
Camping can be as elegant or rough as you make it. I tend to cook more gourmet meals over a campfire/stove than I do at home. And there is always copious amounts of red wine, and it may seem silly but I never drink it out anything but a nice wine glass, no plastic here baby....
I've only ever camped south of the border once, but I'm hoping to go again soon. The last time, in California, near Mendicino, we were in a sleeping in a tent with my daughter who was a baby at the time. I awoke to find cat prints in the dust on my car. It wasn't until I was back up on Vancouver Island, and my aunts very fat cat also walked over front hood, that I realized we'd been stalked by a bob cat or a cougar. Both paw prints were still visible and then the size difference was very noticeable. Shocked
I'm not all to keen on tents either, thus my new/ancient rig. There is something about escaping the day to day business of the city and living life simply. I love waking up to the silence of the great outdoors, which isn't really silence, not with birds singing or wolves howling...
Camping is also about camaraderie as well.. Meeting people from all over, sharing a beer or a funny story with strangers or a parcel of friends around a campfire. Enjoying nature, the scenery or a fresh caught fish, - I'm allergic but I can see the magic in the moment..
When I was about Antonio's age, I always met new friends at campsites. Other kids who we'd explore with, build forts or very sinkable rafts. We'd go snark hunting or off to look for buried treasures. Or swim all day and then fall a sleep under star covered skies.
Camping can be a miserable experience or make for some of the best memories, but you have to be prepared for the worst. And somehow, even if it pours rain, I always seem to remember the best of it all.
I hope you get a chance to experience it. Talk to some friends and see if they've done it and what advice they can give you, what to bring and where to go. I highly doubt you'll hate it.
If you do go, don't be afraid to ask questions here. I can help you get a list of the must haves. It can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it, but whatever happens it won't be a trip you'll soon forget.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2012 11:17 am
A video on RV life.
http://screen.yahoo.com/older-women-escape-winter-winds-in-rvs-28220903.html
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 09:38 pm
Whelp... I can finally report some progress. This is my baby with a fresh coat of paint. After some serious fiberglass work, graffiti removal.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/970139_10151917240629502_1846483124_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/969141_10151917240644502_1596104386_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/294856_10151917240639502_920620713_n.jpg
Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 10:01 pm
@Ceili,
you had it painted by ninja's???

Shocked
Ceili

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 08:20 am
@Rockhead,
Yes, and with the blood of a bejeweled dragon.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 12:18 pm
@Ceili,
Beautiful paint job. Looks better than brand new.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 01:08 pm
@Ceili,
It's gonna be sweet.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 01:23 pm
ha! just read the whole thread again
reminds me I need to scan some old camping pix from the 1960's and 1970's

(weird to see that jcboy has changed his avatar even though he hasn't been posting)
0 Replies