I’ll never be on survivor (aka camping trip from h*ll)

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:57 am
My long awaited 4th of July vacation! Our first family camping trip! The Great Outdoors!

We drive in the rain 3 hours to our anticipated family outdoor trip. Fortunately the rain slowed to a drizzle to allow us to put up the tent. Did we practice before " h*ll no " it has been raining for 40 days and 40 nights so we didn’t get the opportunity. Tent went up o-k then the tarp part " all of a sudden the instructions were in campingese " (camping language). We improvised and it came up looking pretty good. We were able to cook and build a fire as the rain was just light. During the night it thunderstormed.

Next day " rain, rain, rain. We went to Walmart. We went to the office and “rec room”. Instead of getting down, we made plans for the other “sunny” days. It was expected to be clear that day and the next several according to the paper. We finally decided to go to the tent and play cards. It wasn’t too bad, then the rain let up a bit so we could barbecue. That lasted maybe 10 minutes and then the downpour. We ate in the tent. I was almost ready to give up. My kids were worried about me " I drank wine and forgot my sorrows.

The next morning " sunshine " it was a good day " we played and did out doors stuff. We had smores that night. Then it started to thunder again " we went in the tent and slept.

The next day was supposed to be the best. We rented a canoe for the day as we were on a beautiful lake with lots of wildlife and river inlets and crap. It was wonderful. We found the best fishing spot " it was great " then this huge dark cloud came out of no where " we were pretty far from the campsite " a loud crack of thunder. What the h*ll do we do? We pulled ashore and hunkered down. It downpoured with loud thunder and lightening all around us- the kids cried; it was a freezing cold rain, the bugs were biting my butt.

It let up " nice again we went to fish and then heard a crack of thunder. Hubby and I started to frantically row for the campsite " I never rowed so fast and hard before " it was a long way, the clouds were chasing us. The kids yelling " we managed to pull ashore just as the heavy rain came again. We ran into the office/rec room. It rained and rained and rained. We finally decided to run to the car and drive to the campsite.

We just sat in the car with the heat blaring " we called a hotel and left the camp with all our crap. We spent a warm night with take out pizza and beer. It was heaven. After talking about the show Survivor, my daughter asked where they stayed on Amazing Race. I told her they stayed in a hotel. She decided she wants to be on the Amazing Race " smart girl.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 3,237 • Replies: 20
No top replies

mags314772

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:17 am
@Linkat,
On my first camping trip, we had to use the outdoors as a restroom. I peed in my shoes. My husband pitched the tent on a slight incline and we wound up in a gob in one corner of the tent. Come to think of it, that was my last camping trip, too.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:22 am
@Linkat,
Just curious - is "hell" actually a swear-word in the good ole US of A?
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:23 am
@lmur,
depends on how you use it. So as not to offend I made the change.
lmur

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:29 am
@Linkat,
Gotcha, thanks.

Just read your post in full. Flippin' 'ell!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:30 am
yep, that kind of stuff can happen in the great outdoors
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:31 am
@djjd62,
yeah I still have bug bites on my butt!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:44 am
Great story -- to read.
To live through, not so much.

I've been on trips like that, but never with kids.
Not with my wife, either.
She refuses to go camping.
boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:58 am
Quote:
we were on a beautiful lake with lots of wildlife and river inlets and crap

<snork>

At least your misery got a good laugh out of me!

I'm sorry your trip was so not fun.

There's no place like home.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:14 pm
Well, in Vancouver, it always rains. It rains when you're camping, when you're at an outdoor wedding, when you're having a company picnic... you just live with it Smile

One time my ex led a field trip up to Mount Meagher in BC and it snowed the entire time. Got up in the a.m. and everything was frozen solid, frozen to the picnic table, frozen to anything and everything. There were a lot of unhappy students that day!

Not fun, but if we don't go in the rain, we can't go at all. Not that it always rains - just that we expect it (and we're often not disappointed).

It's the bug bites and rain dribbling down the back of your neck that get me. Plus, if you don't have a lantern for the tent, you're hooped.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:22 pm
Sounds like a great adventure*!

*definition of "adventure": Some one far away being miserable.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:48 pm
Laughing Oh Linkat, sounds like you had good and bad times. We did a two week camping bonanza in Florida in June. We had the best time in Manatee Springs and in The Keys, but we got to St. Augustine and it was torrential downpours. Worse than the rain was the driving rain. The tent couldn't stay dry and the mosquitoes came out as soon as it let up. We normally bathe in deet when camping in Florida, but it washed off in the rain so we were mosquito bait. We didn't feel too bad admitting that we are wimps and packing up a day early to head to a Comfort Inn.

We had so much fun when the weather was nice that I booked two long weekends of camping in state parks in GA and SC. That's the nice thing about this cushy drive-up camping. When the going gets tough we can get going pretty quickly.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:10 pm
@George,
On the bright side - like you said - it is a great story (at least it will be when the bug bites are gone).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:13 pm
@Mame,
Well we have family in Seattle area and it about the same .... that is why we do not live in Seattle.

The first time since I have been with my husband that we went away on the 4th and it s*cked!

We are willing to camp again - next time we will verify the weather first!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:07 pm
I think this is the kind of story that becomes family legend.

Someday your kids will bring their kids to your house and you'll be sitting around talking and someone will say "Do you remember that camping trip...." and the stories will get more hilarious as the night wears on.

Even though it was crazy and scary when it was happening what you'll all remember is the hotel and pizza and being together as a family.

Cool.
Eva

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:31 pm
I am a terrible camper. I have back problems, I'm short-winded, I take long showers, I snore, and I cannot sleep where there's any draft at all, or I wake up with a sore throat and sinuses completely stuffed up.

I have a personal motto:
I never camp out anywhere with less than three stars.

On the bright side, camping trips always make it so much easier to write those mortgage checks when you get home.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 10:51 am
@boomerang,
Yeah - I agree it has already become a talking point in a fun way. The kids still want to go camping so I don't think we scarred them too bad.

Oh one other kicker - we had just bought this nice new camera to take awesome pictures. Guess what - while we were recovering from the storm and getting ready to get our crap back into the canoe, hubby picked up the backpack and the camera case was right next to it - picking up the backpack caused the camera bag to suddenly start rolling down the slight hill and yes you guessed into - into the drink! We picked it up right away, but too late - I'm pretty sure we actually bought that additional insurance (fingers crossed).
Lash

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 06:52 pm
@Linkat,
Your camping story had me laughing til tears trailed down my cheeks! My fiance loves the outdoors and me - not so much - but I'm trying to get good at it. I was reading you on another thread about camping where you got some awesome advice from Mame and McGentrix.

What a trooper you are!
chai2

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 07:01 pm
I don't know how I missed this story the first time.

Sounds absolutely dreadful.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2010 08:58 pm
The stuff of family legends, indeed!
0 Replies