breaths is pronounced as [breθz] or [breθs] ?

JTT

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 10:02 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
I git whatchur sayin' = I get what you're saying?

Uuuunhuh.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:00 am
@oristarA,
Yes, OristarA, "I get what you're saying."

I'm sure you know that English is spoken everywhere with different accents.
In Oklahoma, a State in the middle of America, it's possible to find people who say "pin" for the writing tool "pen" and "pen" for the sharply pointed thing, "pin".

@Jack: You've got to hang out with more people from Southie (South Boston). They speak with very flat 'A's, no 'R's and never put a 'G' on the end of a word.
"A'v nevah seen such gahbidge goin' on."
I've never seen such garbage going on.
(This was a new and unpleasant experience for me.)

Joe(English has a million eyes and a trillion voices.)Nation
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 01:22 pm
Had a Southie girlfriend once--"gahbidge" yes, more or less, "A" and "gat" no. Your transcription sounds more like Maine than Southie. (By the way, the only people in Boston who speak like the Kennedys seem to be other Kennedys).
JTT

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 02:24 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
(By the way, the only people in Boston who speak like the Kennedys seem to be other Kennedys).

What?!! William F Buckley comes immediately to mind, MJ.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 03:24 pm
@MontereyJack,
Don't get me started. Heh.
1965-
I went to school in the Back Bay, played Irish folk music in Southie when they still called it Dorchester and was always astounded when the Irish girls talked with the same accent as the Italian and Polish girls. (It could have been that my head was spinning.)

Here's a guy from Medford on the Mystic River.
Or as he would say:
M^dferd aun ther Mystic Rivah.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbK4cL3QSc0&feature=related

Joe(cheers)Nation
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2011 11:39 pm
Dorchester isn't Southie, two separate though adjacent parts of the city. William F. Buckley was far more constipated than any of the Kennedys--that's probably where most of his accent came from, but seriously it's an unreseolved part of the city's history as to where it was that people actually talked like that.
You say "THE Back Bay". That's good. Johnny come lately's just call it "Back Bay". Do me a transcription of "Dorchester" now, or for that matter "Medford"--let's really check your cred.
oristarA

Reply Sun 1 May, 2011 08:55 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Dorchester isn't Southie, two separate though adjacent parts of the city. William F. Buckley was far more constipated than any of the Kennedys--that's probably where most of his accent came from, but seriously it's an unreseolved part of the city's history as to where it was that people actually talked like that.
You say "THE Back Bay". That's good. Johnny come lately's just call it "Back Bay". Do me a transcription of "Dorchester" now, or for that matter "Medford"--let's really check your cred.

Back Bay: Upscale neighborhood in Boston?

0 Replies