What kind of collateral do you need when applying for artists' and writers' grants?

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:03 pm
@Joe Nation,
I want to get money to produce my comics and distribute and publish them. I need money for materials and resources.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
You might want to check out http://www.kickstarter.com/.

"Kickstarter is a funding platform for artists, designers, filmmakers, musicians, journalists, inventors, explorers..."
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:33 pm
You have been dancing around this question for years. DO YOU HAVE A PORTFOLIO OR DO YOU NOT? Have you ever actually written and drawn a complete story, even a short one? You will notice the word PORTFOLIO keeps reappearing in the answers you have gotten. If you haave never actually DONE AND COMPLETED something, and you just go in with pie-in-the-sky ideas of what you want to do, and nothing concrete, you can pretty much guarantee you will get nothing. And I will remind you once again that, if you are talking about a comic, all you need to produce something concrete is a pad of paper and a pencil.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:46 pm
@MontereyJack,
NO ONE ASKED YOU.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:48 pm
yes you did. You posted this thread.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 02:49 pm
So do you have one?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:04 pm
You're a cartoonist. You draw pictures and write words on a piece of paper. the only resources you need to produce a portfolio are a piece of paper and a pencil. You've started a thread about spending a couple thousand bucks for a car. If you buy a car and complain you don't have the resources to spend a dollar for a piece of paper and a pencil, your priorities are seriously wacked.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
YEAH, I need a portfolio- WHY DO YOU THINK I SAID I NEED MONEY FOR RESOURCES, AMONG OTHER THINGS? Drunk
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
That's not going to happen.

You need to earn or borrow the money for the initial materials and resources you think you need, then produce your first efforts, then apply to the various grant organizations for more money.

In the meantime, research comic publishers and see what their submission requirements are. You may not need a grant if you make enough money from your published comics.
==
Can I give you an idea?
I knew a man many years ago who, because of a job requirement, learned to quickly draw a simple cartoon character doing all kinds of things. He was a meteorologist and the TV station he worked for wanted something visible for their weather broadcasts, so he had to practice and practice and practice drawing this cartoon. He got really good at putting his character, Gusty, in any kind of situation.
He was a good Christan man who (off of TV) very often spoke about his faith using his little weather cartoon.

Okay, so here's the idea. Develop a cartoon of your own that you can use to preach the Gospel. You could, for a fee, speak to church groups, youth groups or civic groups or Scouting groups or Bible Education Classes. Bring an easel with a big pad of paper and draw your cartoons as you speak. At the end, give them out to the kids, at the grown-up meetings, you could do custom drawings for a donation to you and your ministry.
What do you think?
Joe(No charge for ideas,,,,,)Nation
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:11 pm
@Joe Nation,
Like HECK it isn't Mr. Skeptic. I talked to a guy who worked as a pro comic book artist- he gave me pointers about where to go to get money for materials. If YOU don't know I will ask someone else.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:13 pm
@Joe Nation,
You don't know what you are talking about. I just found this:

http://www.contemporaryforum.org/awards.htm

GRANT MONEY FOR ARTIST MATERIALS. I need to find a similiar foundation in my home state that does this.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:14 pm
Go buy a goddamned pad of paper. A buck at a dollar store. You spend more on electricity to run your computer to post drivel than you need to spend to get all the resource you really need.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
I think you have a better chance with the kickstarter site I told you about. Also, you can probably get more help by yelling less than you do.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:21 pm
@MontereyJack,
Sketch pads, large sheets of paper, charcoal, pastels, watercolors, tempara paints, easels, inks, lettering guides, REFERENCE BOOKS, ARTISTS BOOKS, WRITERS BOOKS, etc. ALL THAT COSTS MONEY.

Are you THAT stupid?
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:31 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I like Kick-Starter. There's a guitarist on my floor who got a grant to make her first full album, but she, of course, had a PORTFOLIO of songs already written which now we know isn't the case with JGoldman's cartoon(s)

Yelling less and a lot less calling names would be good too.
And
Now I want $1000.oo for my idea.

Joe(Can't wait to see how this plays out.)Nation
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:33 pm
Are you that stupid, jg? All you NEED is paper and a pencil. All the rest is fluff. Oh, and you need an IDEA and some MOTIVATION. I suspect that's where you;re REALLy lacking.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:46 pm
I NEED MONEY FOR BOOKS. I don't always have time to schelp down to the library to use reference materials and check books out. I buy reference books so I don't have to do that.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:47 pm
@MontereyJack,
I HAVE AN IDEA- I NEED RESOURCES TO HELP ME FLESH THESE THINGS OUT AND DEVELOP THEM.

Pot, meet Kettle.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 03:49 pm
IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA, DRAW IT. JUST DO IT. STOP TALKING ABOUT IT.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 04:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
YOU ARE AN IDIOT.
I want to finish my RESEARCH for my ideas FIRST BEFORE I draw anything up. DO I TELL YOU HOW TO MAKE YOUR ARTWORK? NO- SHUT THE HELL UP.