What kind of collateral do you need when applying for artists' and writers' grants?

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 01:45 am
Hello. I know when you go to apply for any kind of grants you have to have collateral. Specifically, what kind do you need when you apply for artists' and writers' grants? Please help me out. Thank you.

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 03:50 am
I am talking about grants to individuals.
Is anyone here a financial expert?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 06:44 am
GRANTS don't need to be repaid. They are "awarded" to deserving people, usually by groups that give out scholarships.

Student LOANS do need to be re-paid, at a very low rate. But most don't ask for collateral.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 07:58 am
@PUNKEY,
I know that-but I was told people don't give you grants if you have nothing to show for it.
sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 08:05 am
@JGoldman10,
That's not "collateral" exactly though.

Really depends on the grant. Each one will explain what they are looking for.

Usually for an artist's grant you would need a portfolio.

For a writer's grant you usually would submit a piece of writing.

But what is most important is following the application process for a specific grant.

For example (just a random find on Google):

http://apply.creative-capital.org/images/Guidelines_2011.pdf
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 08:12 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Hello. I know when you go to apply for any kind of grants you have to have collateral. Specifically, what kind do you need when you apply for artists' and writers' grants? Please help me out. Thank you.

A handgun and some pantyhose.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 08:51 am
I want to get my own comics published and distributed. I have to have something I can show people if I want to apply for any artists' or writers' grants.
sozobe

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 08:54 am
@JGoldman10,
Probably, yes.

Find the grants first and go from there.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:00 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't know who told you that, but applying for a grant does not usually require that the artist/writer offer any collateral other than their ambition and portfolio ( which is what I think you are mixing up with the word collateral - money or property)

Having received several scholarships, an internship and other awarded support, I'd be very cautious about any organization asking for collateral.

Do you have an application that actually asks for collateral?
Joe(I'd like to see it.)Nation

Other resources that friends have usedhttp://www.artheals.org/start.html

http://miraslist.blogspot.com/

parados

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:00 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I know that-but I was told people don't give you grants if you have nothing to show for it.

You need talent.

But most importantly you need a portfolio of work that you have done which will impress the grant givers.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:04 am
@JGoldman10,
Once again JG..

GIYF.... (google the acronym if you don't know it.)

"writing a grant application" will get you lots of information on how to write one that will get noticed.

But you might need to work on this tip....
Quote:
Convince them that funding you is a smart investment—you’ll use their money carefully, you’ll get a lot done, and you’ll help them achieve their goals.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:21 am
@Joe Nation,
My mother told me that. When you apply for a bank loan you need collaterial, something you can give up in exchange for the loan, so how is applying for a grant any different?

You have to make up proposals and approach foundations with inital inquiries. I know, I was doing research on foundation grants a while ago and went to a seminar for the Foundation Center.
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 01:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
I like your mom. She's right about bank loans, but grants and loans to artists/writers are VERY different.

But, you're not trying to get a grant or a loan, you want to be published, right?

They are several companies which do that and, you'll note in the URL below, that, although they have a LOT of rules, they do not ask you for money.
http://www.slgcomic.com/Submission-Guidelines_ep_40-1.html
Read the above URL carefully. If you like, send them a copy of your graphic art/cartoon/graphic novel (whatever you want to call it).

Another idea is to find out who is publishing works by other people that you like. You can find their names and addresses somewhere within the comic book/graphic novel; contact them via email and ask what their submission rules are.

Be prepared for a LOT of turn-downs, refusals and other assorted varieties of the word "no". It's part of the job.
No one gets used to it.
Joe (Keep going.)Nation

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:34 pm
@Joe Nation,
YES Joe- I WANT grants and fellowships for artists and writers.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 09:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
You don't know my mother-she is a WOMAN OF GOD.

You are being a pessimist. I know about God. God gives people the ability to get wealth.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 05:10 am
@JGoldman10,
There's a difference between pessimism and realism. Look up their definitions, re-read what I wrote and then let me know if I was being pessimistic or just wanted you to be ready to work really hard to get what you're destined to have.

JGoldman10 wrote:

I want to get my own comics published and distributed. I have to have something I can show people if I want to apply for any artists' or writers' grants.

This post may have confused me. It still does. Are you:
(A)trying to get money in order to produce your comics
or (B) have you already finished one or more of them?

Answer that and we'll know where to start.

I'm really excited for you and I'm hoping that this is the start of a great career, then, when you are famous, I'll be able to say I was there at the beginning.

Joe(Okay. Let's go.)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 05:26 am
@Joe Nation,
Sometimes grants are favored by the reviewers if there is a "matching grant" available. When you do your budget, if you have a pwercentage from another sources (A "match") that the grantor can get a bigger bang for their buck), they will often give the money that way.

Ive never done any single artist grant requests , but I have authored a number of grant applications for public service projects and individual 501-3(c) orgs.
MAtching grant funds is always an inducement (assuming that your idea is compelling).
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 06:46 am
@farmerman,
True.
I've had friends who struggled to find money for their works. Not just to sell them, but to finance the making of new ones. It always seem to me to be some kind of snowball.
If they can get noticed, money starts to flow, if they can keep producing, money continues to flow.

Joe(then the real work starts)Nation
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 08:36 am
@Joe Nation,
I AM a realist- I am a CHRISTIAN. I know how to pray and deal with these things. Very Happy
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2011 01:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Okay.
Are you going to answer my question so I can help you or not?

Joe(ready and willing)Nation