Does anyone else miss the OLD Google?

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 10:40 am
At the beginning of 2011, they reformated their search engine. I didn't particularly LIKE it, but it took some getting used to. I think the new format is very cumbersome.

Does anyone else miss the old Google?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,947 • Replies: 12
No top replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 11:43 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes, one no longer has the ability to "search inside of searches."
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 11:45 am
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

Yes, one no longer has the ability to "search inside of searches."
ditto
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 11:48 am
i couldn't begin to tell you the difference between new and old google, i like the image search now i will say that much, as for web searches, i haven't really noticed any change
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:05 pm
@kuvasz,
Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "search within searches"?

The image search feature is now too cumbersome.
kuvasz

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 05:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
In the older version of the search program one could type in say "George Washington" and come up with say 9,000,000 hits. At the bottom of the page on the list a link could be clicked that allowed you to type in another word, say "number of teeth" which would allow the program to search ONLY in the 9,000,000 hits in the original search, which results could also be winnowed down with a search inside the second search results, ........ad naseum, until you could focus in on the pertinent citation with limited effort.

This featured allowed searchers to find quickly a topic combining the two (or three or four) searches, instead of the current program that forces one to type in the complete set of words to find a particular citation; which results in too many hits to even search through.

In other words, the software programers fucked up the most important feature for quick, concise searching. If one wanted to **** up Goggle they could not have done a better job.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 05:39 pm
@kuvasz,
Quote:
This featured allowed searchers to find quickly a topic combining the two (or three or four) searches, instead of the current program that forces one to type in the complete set of words to find a particular citation; which results in too many hits to even search through.
What I liked about it is that I could look at the first page of results and get a good idea which way I need to sift to get what I wanted. I would often go through this process 3-4 times on a single search. Now I need to know ahead of time what the right search terms are, and on the complicated searches I do this is often not doable. Google is less useful now. I heard on the net that pulling the search with-in option was requested by retailers as it was harming profits, but I have no clue of what that is all about, if true.

Maybe it made ads less profitable? Made search terms harder to sell? IDK, but it sucks for the user.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:40 pm
@kuvasz,
The large font that pops up when you search is annoying.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
kuvasz

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:10 am
@JGoldman10,
**** you.
Below viewing threshold (view)
kuvasz

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
I wear your reprobation as a badge of honor.
0 Replies

Lethargy

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 01:16 am
@JGoldman10,
I miss classic Google pretty much every time I do a search. I never, ever use the sidebar thing, and I find it both distracting and less visually appealing. I hate how a picture of the page pops up when the cursor hovers over a search result - again, distracting and not terribly useful. If I scroll down, go to another page of results, then press "back", I go back to the top of the page rather than my former position. I hate that most of all.

I really, really wish I could go back to the old interface.
0 Replies