Food that makes you sad

dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 04:21 am
Geelong Aadvertiser
Martin Watters | March 18th, 2011
GEELONG scientists have unlocked one of the keys to lasting happiness - eating well.

The world-first study, which has received international accolades, shows a clear link between junk food and depression and demonstrates the impact a child's diet can have on its life-long mental health.

The Barwon Health study of women in the region was listed in the top 10 most important psychiatric studies in the world by a renowned medical website.

Deakin University research fellow Dr Felice Jacka led the Association of Diet With Depression and Anxiety study, which declared eating fried, fatty and processed foods such as pies, pizzas, white bread and chips caused depression and anxiety.
More Info
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2011/03/18/249151_news.html

farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 04:38 am
@dadpad,
We need to start mailing great boxes of grapes to several A2Kers around the world. There are several people on the board who sound like they are on lifelong pizza diets
dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 05:09 am
@farmerman,
I just ate two mandarines just to be on the safe side.
Mame

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 05:39 am
Food that makes me sad:

undercooked eggs
burned cookies
any internal organs
sour milk
no creamo for my coffee
hard brown sugar
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 05:40 am
even though i like them, lima beans always make me sad, there's something just kind of pathetic about them
msolga

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 05:51 am
@djjd62,
Tired fruit & vegies are the saddest of all ....
Wrinkly, soft apples, wizened celery stalks, that sort of thing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 05:53 am
@dadpad,
Gawd I love mandarins.
Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:06 am
@sozobe,
but...aren't they beige? or is it orange?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:18 am
It makes me sad when things go bad in my frig. Why did I buy that star anise if I wasn't going to eat it?

I really think that SUGAR has a lot to do with the kind of depression in the OP's article. Junk food carbs turn into bad kinds of sugar. Depressed people crave carbs. It's difficult to figure out what's first - the depression or the carb loading.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 07:21 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Gawd I love mandarins.

Get your peepers offn my mandies! They are mine mine MINE!
Ahahahahahah (Maniacle Laughter)
sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:21 am
@dadpad,
I've been getting big ol' bags of them. Now I'm down to my last two and one of 'em is looking a little shriveled. Time for a trip to the store...
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 08:58 am
@dadpad,
Food that makes me sad

baconless liver
decaf "coffee"
flat soda
onionless burgers
warm milk
undercooked beef tongue
undercooked chicken
overcooked vegetables
capers
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:20 am
Food in itself does not make me sad, but the way it is served sometimes without any vegetables or any sallad.
What makes me sad is how food is handle.
Too much bread is baked in the bakery, so everyone can have a large selection even 2 minutes before closingtime. What is left over is thrown out.
That the portions are so big in a restaurant that a normal person only can eat half of it. The rest is thrown out.
That EU used to have rules and regulations for years about the size of fruit and vegetables so about 20% was thrown out. Think the rules have been changed.
That we in Sweden have to throw out out good apples to import apples from New Zealand and other far away places.
It is sad that it is even better for the enviroment to do it.
That people have to drink bottled mineral water all the time instead of water from the fosset. It is one of the worst things polluting our enviroment. Why do we have to drink mineral water from France or some island in the Pacific and they have to drink bad water?
Food left over from a big conferance has to be thrown out and cannot be given to the homeless. They might get food poison. If the food had been handled normally it could have been given away.

0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:20 am
Nonsense.

One is not depressed because one eats pizza.
One eats pizza because one is depressed.
Pizza drives away the depression.
Happiness ensues!

Hey, it works for me.
JPB

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 09:41 am
The only time food made me sad or anxious was when we didn't have any.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 01:43 pm
@George,
Yea George!
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:41 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
even though i like them, lima beans always make me sad, there's something just kind of pathetic about them

Today is Lima Bean Respect Day. Could we have a moment of silence, please?

Perhaps bow our heads?
djjd62

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:44 pm
@Irishk,
nice
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 02:59 pm
@Irishk,
What makes me sad re food presently is that several weeks ago I made a dish involving dried fava beans and kale - first according to directions in my dutch oven, in my stove oven, and then when it wasn't done yet, in my slow cooker, for near forever. Took me two days. I loved the sauce that resulted, but the beans were oddly too big. Maybe I just don't like really big beans. I couldn't bear to throw this mess out, so it's in my freezer freezing away. (Yes, I had overnight soaked the beans - so that makes it three days - but they must have been too old and desiccated to meet the recipe's timeline.)

I think it'll turn into a pasta fagioli one of these days.

Here's the recipe - I think it would turn out well if you don't use million year old fava beans, maybe with pintos or white beans or limas, like Martha Rose Shulman suggests:

from the NYT -
February 1, 2011
Slow-Baked Beans With Kale
By MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN
Beans baked very slowly for several hours develop a creamy texture, while the liquid they cook in, which thickens to a syrup, acquires a caramelized flavor. The kale practically melts in this casserole, going from bitter to sweet. I love using lima beans in this dish because they’re so big and their texture is so luxurious.

1 bunch kale, stemmed and washed in two changes of water

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

1 carrot, chopped

1 rib celery, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 2/3 cups white beans (3/4 pound) or dried lima beans, picked over and soaked for at least four hours and drained

1 6-ounce can tomato paste, dissolved in 1 cup water

3 cups additional water

A bouquet garni consisting of 4 parsley sprigs, 2 thyme sprigs and a bay leaf

1 teaspoon herbes de Provence

Salt and a generous amount of freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup bread crumbs

1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously and add the kale. Blanch for two minutes, then transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain, squeeze out water and cut into ribbons. Set aside. (I blanch the kale to extract some of the bitterness, but you can skip this step if you wish).

2. Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat in a large ovenproof casserole. Add the onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about five minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds to a minute. Add the dissolved tomato paste, and bring to a simmer.

3. Add the drained beans, the remaining water, the bouquet garni, herbes de Provence and salt and pepper.. Stir in the kale, bring to a simmer, cover and place in the oven. Bake three hours until the beans are tender and creamy. Taste and adjust salt.

4. Mix together the remaining olive oil and the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the beans, and continue to bake another 30 minutes to an hour until the bread crumbs are lightly browned. Remove from the heat and serve; or allow to cool slightly and serve.

Yield: Serves six.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 04:37 pm
@George,
eating the last slice of pizza always makes me sad