Something inspirational with which to begin the New Year

PDiddie

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 08:36 am
After being away from the fray during the holiday season, I have been reading many of my favorite (that is to say political) threads with some consternation at the level of testiness exhibited in some of the postings (with the exception of the sentiments expressed in support of bobdys, of course).

So I read this article in the NYT online (several of you have it in your favorites already, so I won't link it) that does a nice job of instilling some encouragement for harmony back into the forum:

Quote:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,466 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Letty

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 01:29 pm
PDiddie, That article was very inspiring, but often the best way to win is not to play.(computer in movie War Games).

Politics, by its very nature, is contentious, but harmony can also be brought about by dissonance. It's the diction that be the culprit.

Dr. Moore sent a gentle message to his students, but I'm confidant that it was underwritten by hard core beliefs in learning.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:31 pm
Nice story PD, but what are ACT's - I've heard of SAT's but I'm confused as to what they are exatly as well.
Thanks, Ceili
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:42 pm
It's likewise a collegiate entrance exam, Ce.

More than you want to know:

Collegiate Assessment of Academic Proficiency

and the Googled result for "ACT exams collegiate".
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:45 pm
Are they equivalent? Can you take one or the other? Do some schools require one set of tests or both?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:53 pm
They have different scoring methods, and each university determines their respective admission criteria. Prospective attendees need to take one, both, or sometimes neither.

Here's a listof US colleges that do not require either test (depending on the applicant).
0 Replies