Writing the word "g-d" on the internet.

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:45 am
People who practice judaism aren't supposed to write out any form of god's name unless they intend on burying it when they are ready to get rid of it. Does this same rule apply to typing on computers and on the internet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 952 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:27 am
http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm

Quote:
Writing the Name of God
Jews do not casually write any Name of God. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by God's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of God per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of God. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of God casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of God comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our God. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of God.

It is worth noting that this prohibition against erasing or defacing Names of God applies only to Names that are written in some kind of permanent form, and recent rabbinical decisions have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type God's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with God's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form. That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of God on web sites like this one or in newsgroup messages: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

Normally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God." In addition, the number 15, which would ordinarily be written in Hebrew as Yod-Heh (10-5), is normally written as Tet-Vav (9-6), because Yod-Heh is a Name. See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about using letters as numerals.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 02:38 pm
Interesting, thanks
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 05:51 pm
Thanks phoenix!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:53 am
Re: Writing the word "g-d" on the internet.
Individual wrote:
People who practice judaism aren't supposed to write out any form of god's name unless they intend on burying it when they are ready to get rid of it. Does this same rule apply to typing on computers and on the internet?

I never heard about burying it, but I was tought is was just plain disrespectful to g-d and to believers in g-d, so it stuck.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:03 pm
I might be confused about burying it. By the way, we already established that you don't have to put the hyphen in anymore.

Oh and thanks, Portal Star. I started this thread after seeing you put the hyphens in.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:59 pm
That's what I figured.

Let me admit somthing I am a little embarassed about: I am a bit superstitious. Not about black cats, the poor litte dears, but about things like not walking under ladders, not taking more food than you can eat, and touching the cieling of the car when passing under a yellow light. I think that writing out the name of g-d falls into this category of my brain. I don't believe in a biblical g-d, I'm agnostic, but I have this irrational fear of being smited. (Especially by my old saturday school teachers, if they ever got wind of it.) So there you go.

Plus the whole being taught not to thing. Some stuff really sticks with ya.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:17 pm
Yeah, I get a little twinge of guilt whenever I do things like that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:43 pm
Hey Portal Star

I'm also an agnostic -- and although I often loft a golf club over my head in celebration after a good shot -- I am superstitious about doing so when there is lightening in the area.

I've even been known to sit out lightening storms in the club house -- although not always.

Even an agnostic can have those kinds of superstitions.

Boy, I know several theists who would get quite a reaction from knowing I'd been done in by a lightening bolt, I can tell you that!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:18 pm
http://docweasel.com/members/img/05/brian/04_blasphemy.jpg

Look. I don't think it ought to be blasphemy, just saying 'Jehovah'.
CROWD: Oooh! He said it again! Oooh!...
OFFICIAL: You're only making it worse for yourself!
MATTHIAS: Making it worse?! How could it be worse?! Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:19 pm
Portal star is the only person I have seen use g-d for god on the internet, but then my only experience on reading about the subject of religion on the internet has been at a2k. It always sort of takes me aback, at least when I first see it. I am glad to know the background of the deletion, it helps me understand people doing it..
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:22 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Portal star is the only person I have seen use g-d for god on the internet, but then my only experience on reading about the subject of religion on the internet has been at a2k. It always sort of takes me aback, at least when I first see it. I am glad to know the background of the deletion, it helps me understand people doing it..

Actually, it is quite common. Probably more so over at Abuzz -- but it is very common in any case.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:24 pm
Must be the ONLY example of self-censorship to be found on ABUZZ!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 07:30 pm
Commonly used, I believe you, Frank, but I'd never seen it before.
0 Replies