Cell phones use by teachers

DrewDad

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 07:51 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
sdYeah, and would it kill them to have a cheap fake fleece blanket lying around in the 64°F examination room?

You know who go to doctors' offices? Sick people.

I'd just as soon not have a small pox-infected blanket....

Not to mention lice and bedbugs.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 11:02 am
@Mame,
Exactly what I was going to say....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 11:03 am
@maxdancona,
Actually I am not bashing them at all - if you see and read everything I wrote - I said how much I like them. I was more reaching out to see what others have experienced. But even so I don't believe they should be using cell phones during class time.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 11:04 am
@maxdancona,
They are supposed to do - they are supposed to give you a level of modesty (even if it is fake) - not that it matters to them personally - it is called "bedside manner".
Mame

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:08 pm
@Linkat,
My dr. isn't gone long enough to make a quick phone call... I suspect she just waits outside the door. Once I told her she could just turn around but she went out anyway. She was back in the room in a couple of minutes. She's never answered a phone in any room I've been in with her.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:05 pm
@Mame,
I trained for a month on a Birthing Simulator. Musta pumped out hundreds of kids, no biggee.
Mame

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:11 pm
@JTT,
Not quite the same thing!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:47 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Edit: o h yeah, and I don't agree that administrators, family, friends, fellow teachers should be interrupting the teaching whatsoever. There's a lot less being taught nowadays anyway what with all these professional days that we don't need even less due to interruptions. I think it's disrespectful to the students and the parents.
No, there is not less being taught, if anything there's even more material being covered and in many places, within less time.
Mame wrote:
Is there something wrong with the way it's always been done?
The system always worked fine by me. If there was an emergency, the main office sent a staffer up, usually a teacher on break. At times a student workng a free period in the main office delivered messages. Back when was a student, that same method tended to be employed. Then there was the school which had an intercom, it was archaic even then; but, it did the task.

Cell phone usage by a teacher during class is uncalled for beyond, a text message stating a schoolwide emergency, one in which the P.A. system would risk greater harm (think crazed gunman in the halls). All calls can go through a main office.

It amazes me that people these days can't function without their gadgets, when just 40 years ago we managed quite well. No cells, no DVDs or VCRs, rarely was there an answering machine.
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 09:14 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
It amazes me that people these days can't function without their gadgets

I agree - and I hate to say - this morning on my drive in - hubby called me - I really do not like talking on the phone when I drive, but he loves it. My opinion relay what is necessary and get off when driving (not that I am a blabber on the phone any way) - but he is - I was thinking (or dreaming) I wish we didn't have cell phones while he was chatting away.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 10:31 am
@Mame,
Quote:
There's a lot less being taught nowadays anyway what with all these professional days that we don't need even less due to interruptions.

You know that a lot of what was taught was crap, Mame, and I'm afraid that that's still the case today.
Mame

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 11:24 am
@JTT,
I would have to agree with that!
JTT

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 12:39 pm
@Mame,
If all the fluff that now exists in education, all the erroneous BS was removed, kids could probably leave school at an earlier age, which is problematic in and of itself.

If each subject could be made more real, more meaningful, and I suspect that there are teachers now doing this, school would be a much more beneficial and enjoyable experience.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 04:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Max, I am a teacher.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 05:03 pm
@Sturgis,
Were you complaining about change back then when all we had were party-line telephone systems and you had to wait for one of the neighbors to stop hogging the phone line so you could make a call, or complaining about change back then because of how long it took an operator to answer the call so she could put you in the waiting line to connect you to a long distance number?
Sturgis

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 11:53 am
@Butrflynet,
Butterflynet wrote:
Were you complaining about change back then when all we had were party-line telephone systems and you had to wait for one of the neighbors to stop hogging the phone line so you could make a call, or complaining about change back then because of how long it took an operator to answer the call so she could put you in the waiting line

Strange as it may seem we didn't have a partyline, it was our very own black rotary dial at my parents. We had a listed number,it was 1956, (the next year we got a television). Before then we'd get a rare call that came through at the Rabbi and his wife's place beneath us and we made calls at my grandmother's apartment several blocks away or at a pay phone in a nearby store. Around then was when I was first sent to stay w/relatives. An aunt had her own line, the other 2 places I can't recall. We didn't spend much time making calls either. Calls were quick and to the point. Long distance calls were very rare, they were meant for emergencies, back then there was a wonderful thing called letter writing for people that were across the state, country or
ocean. When the emergency call needed an operator we knew there'd be a wait, wasn't a problem.

These days gadgets are used during meetinngs, dates, in theaters (live and film), funerals, bathrooms, while walking down a street, while driving.... real fun happens at busy intersections when pedestrian texts and driver takes/makes a call.

The idea of technological advancements doesn't bother me. The excessive, needless usage bothers me.
0 Replies