what was the ickiest thing your mom made for dinner?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 10:09 pm
@Ceili,
Sounds tougher than making a PB&J
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
My sister, for some unknown reason, hated french fries (Go figure) and found that she could secrete them into the cast iron legs of our 50's kitchen table. When we move in the mid 60's and broke down the table, we discovere hundreds of dried, black and moldy fry carcasses.

Kids can be very resourceful to avoid eating foods they don't like. I'd have thought it would have tasted worse for you to leave the food your cheeks - in your mouth longer than to simply swallow the foul food.

A friend of mine told me a technique he used like your sister - he hated cream corn and he would secretly put the vile food in the vent holes of the heating grate. He was eventually found out like your sister when months later, mom cleaned these vents and found many pieces of petrified corn. I think the heat at least dried them out so they were not moldy.
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:27 am
@Ticomaya,
Love the litl puking smiley!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:59 am
@mags314772,
I'd forgotten the hellish throat hurting Miracle Whip. My mother used it, never mayo. I couldn't understand why the same bologna sandwich tasted much better when it was made by cousin Irene. Same bread, same brand cold cut, each had a white spread...what was different? Then it hit me! Tasty mayo (and stimulating talk from her husband, Jerome). Haven't had MW since about 1980.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:19 pm
Anything with kidneys. I still vomit if I detect a hint of kidney in anything.

I hated casseroles...to this day I prefer to slow cook on the stove top. Must have been to do with something she added?

TRIPE!!!!!
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:22 pm
@dlowan,
kidneys taste like the mens room in a train station smells.
farmerman

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 06:24 pm
@Sturgis,
Miracle whip was something that sent me into tears as a kid. I could not stand that phony sickening sweet taste overtop a mayonnaise background. I hope whoever invented that **** is rotting in a hell with lime jello cubes in a mixture of miraclle whip and sweet cream.
dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:05 pm
@farmerman,
Well, I have not experienced that particular horror...but they make me think of used cat litter.

My mum was the sort who made you eat even when you were full and no matter how much you hated the food.

You had to vomit to get out of a food....and I was unable to make myself do so.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Miracle whip was something that sent me into tears as a kid. I could not stand that phony sickening sweet taste overtop a mayonnaise background. I hope whoever invented that **** is rotting in a hell with lime jello cubes in a mixture of miraclle whip and sweet cream.
The recipe has been changed at least twice since the 70's, but you will not find me checking to see if it has improved...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 08:10 pm
different strokes... I love Miracle Whip... of course thats off a strippers ass....
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 09:51 am
How about Cool Whip? My mother never again made real whipping cream into topping after Cool Whip came out.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 11:00 am
@mags314772,
Cool Whip wasn't safe near me. A single spoonful became 2, then 3 then it was gone. As an adult the taste sickens me (residual side effects).

Another awful food was egg salad. Even 2 years ago it still turned my stomach.
mags314772

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 02:22 pm
@Sturgis,
My husband can't abide egg salad, but adores devilled eggs...never can figure that one out.

I understand your adult aversion to a childhood fav.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2011 05:08 pm
@mags314772,
Love egg salad; hate chicken salad. Found a chunk of membrane in a chicken salad sandwich I had in a diner when I was 12, and I still gag at the thought.
0 Replies