Butrrflynet & BBB are both crippled and I'm trying to take care of her while I'm on crutches

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 12:45 pm
My knee gave out last week just as Butrflynet's spine disc gave out, too. She's finally able to walk a little with a walker. She's probably going to need medical attention. I had to drive her to her doctor appointment today to removed stitches from a recent treatment because she could not drive. We are two pitiful sad sacks.

I wish I knew how to teach Dolly and Madison doggies to cook, wash dishes, do laundry, get the mail, and drive the car. It's hopeless because they still sometimes poop and pee on the rug much less take care of us and the house.

Since we can't dig in the ground, my friend Sal spent the last two days planting climbing roses and a variety of other plants and bulbs that we had bought before our injuries. Since Butrflynet may not be able to plant and care for her vegetable garden this year, Sal offered to care for the garden for her. He's such a good friend.

BBB

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 3,050 • Replies: 27
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 12:49 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Darn. If things just have to change, couldn't they get better for once?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 12:53 pm
@roger,
I was wondering the same thing. And that's not all. My son, in California, is now suffering from painful gallstones while he's getting prepared to move to Arizona. I hate to see my children sick.

BBB

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 12:54 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Oh no! That's terrible.

I sure hope both of you are feeling much better very soon.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 01:11 pm
Sorry to hear it, BBB. Hope better days are ahead.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 01:24 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
So sorry to hear!

Hoping for improvements! I echo what Roger said, as well.

{{{{{{BBB & BFN}}}}}}
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 01:39 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
So sorry to hear this. Could you afford to pay someone to come in for just a few hours a week? You might find a retired person looking to earn some extra grocery money, especially since you seem to need general care and not a nurse. We have a woman who comes in twice a week to check on my MIL when we can't. She gets the mail, tidies up the house, makes sure my MIL has everything she needs to prepare meals easily and sometimes drives her to her doctors' appointments. My MIL just hands her cash and calls it the "babysitting money".

Your dogs seem to be an additional issue. Why are they messing in the house? Are you too sick to let them out regularly or you don't notice they need to go? I consider it a big problem because other people might be put off working for you if the house is unsanitary from the dogs. Can they be put on a hourly schedule to go in the backyard or add a doggie door so they can do it themselves? Hope everything turns around for the best.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 01:42 pm
Sorry to hear this. Glad you've got help in the garden, but like Green Witch says, some help inside is probably wise too so you don't overdo it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 01:44 pm
This is terrible! I'd volunteer but it would be the blind driving the halt. Any way you can get some home care with your insurance? I wonder about Meals on Wheels... I think IrishK knows about that organization.

One thing, back when I was investigating for rides to the hospital, I found that one company will take you to med appointments with a credit card; if I remember, it's some sort of specifically medical ride, and it made sense to me at the time. Might be checker cabs. I'll have to see if I saved a link. I probably did but lost it in a computer tharn-out.

Also, there is an Albuquerque rides bus/van, that I've taken to UNM med center a few times - well, several. I think it too is specifically for medical stuff. Will see if I can find that number. But they need to know ahead of time, apparently not too soon or not too late, by my frustrated experience, and have refused me because I'm too far out zone wise, one occasion, when I called, but didn't refuse me the other times.
On the other hand, if I remember, they're free, and when they say they'll pick you up, they do, and the drivers are both good and nice and will make sure (so far) that they'll get you back home as well. Uh, they have been known to me to show up early, such as 7:30 a.m. instead of 8 a.m.

They might know about getting a wheel chair to meet you at the gate - I'm not experienced about that except that at one point I was yammering at my eye doc about lack of benches in the UNM hospital area and in talking about that, Dys and I wondered about whether there were wheel chairs handy. That's another story, for another post.

Dammit, I'm sorry about this.
I'll try to find sources for those two medical ride groups, back in a bit.
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:03 pm
@ossobuco,
The hell of it is that you both MUST keep active so that other muscls dont weaken . Im sorry that you cant garden right now, this is like peak garden time for you isnt it? It gets really hot later.
MAybe you guys, dys and Diane should consider a group house where you could divvy up small tasks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I should explain that thing about benches in the hospital area. I accompanied dys and diane to the coumadin clinic a couple of times, and it was quite a ways for him to manage, courageous as he is. Diane would go park the car. He just started a'walkin' as he'd done it before. I didn't think fast enough re getting a chair somehow. But, dammit, there weren't interior benches that I could see. And then..

And then, re people who were dropped off in the back area, Diane and I were talking about access making it to clinics through all that pretty landscape, which I zeroed in on since that is my field, no f'n benches. So I mentioned it to the doc and he game me a name to contact re the facilities person, and I never did that since I hadn't done a walk through re the interior. As an old hospital person, I can well figure they don't need bench clutter, but I was still wondering about one or two, as even visitors can get out of breath.

Then one day a herd of benches showed up outside...
but it was nothing to do with me, probably already scheduled as an expense.

Meantime, I've failed to inquire if wheelchairs are available when you walk in the door..
I figure there must be, as there were when I worked at St. John's around 1960.
talk72000

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:37 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Try exo-skeleton robots where an external skeleton with motor power attaches to limbs to make movement easy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, I found the Van transport -

Albuquerque City Government Senior Transportation
505.848.1356 -- I have that crossed out and changed to 505.848-1355

What I remember is that they wanted to hear from you something like 5 days ahead of time, but at least once they asked me to call back one day ahead of time.
This all may have changed.
I think this is based on a volunteer system, or part volunteer - well, that's a guess, but as I said the drivers I've gone along with were smart, clearly competent, and a help.
Better to talk with them yourself..

Next, to look for that cab place.
JPB

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 02:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
So sorry to hear about all your troubles. I think meals on wheels is a great organization. Not only do you get fresh food daily, you have someone ringing the doorbell to make sure you're ok.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 03:01 pm
Sorry to read this. Man oh man.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 03:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Looking a little further, I couldn't refind that link I was interested in re a dawn taxi but I did find that a lot of major cab companies normally do this (or I think I found that - so check) I suppose that advertizing med transport is their way of saying they'll deal with wheel chairs.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 03:24 pm
Ugh - as with everyone else, I'm sorry to hear that you guys are both temporarily disabled . I'm glad Osso's on to job trying to find you options!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 03:51 pm
@littlek,
I'm not connected here in any way*, including with the senior center which is way too far away. I don't go to neighborhood meetings since they always involve driving in the dark or twilight, through the year, about twenty blocks. Not that I don't like my immediate neighbors, I do, but they don't seem up on stuff.
So, in contrast to the rest of my life, I have no network.

I suspect the networks here are religious.

* of course, with people from a2k

My point being, that I haven't a net of acquaintances or friends to reach out to for
the Beees.

littlek

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 03:53 pm
@ossobuco,
If you have neighborhood meetings, wouldn't a neighbor be able to give you a ride to and from the meeting site? I mean, wouldn't that be sort of the point of meetings with neighbors?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 03:57 pm
@littlek,
None of the ones I know give a ****. I'm an old neighborhood person type, lots of history there, but to the extent I've looked, here it is like a series of pellets.

I'm also not the old once in a while bold me.
0 Replies